Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Unread 10-27-2012, 09:44 PM   #1
liyosa

Gold paint for painting boots - mix or buy?

Hi guys.

So I'm in the process of painting my boots. So far, they're looking really good, and I'm happy with the results so far.

However, I have yet to apply the 'gold trim' on the boots as per picture: http://thumbs2.modthesims.info/img/9...-Terra-ref.jpg. I don't have gold paint in my supply. I however do have the paints necessary to make a gold-like color, and the paint is SLIGHTLY shiny (I'm using Tulip matte fabric paints for the detailing of the boot, which work fine as they go on top of a more suitable paint for leather).

Should I buy gold paint, or is it all right to try to mix the paints together to create a gold-like color?
liyosa is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-28-2012, 08:07 AM   #2
Penlowe

Yellow is a primary color, therefore it cannot be created from other colors. While you may own yellow based paints in various colors, you can't take out the other pigments, only soften them with white, darken them with black or change them completely by adding other colors.

i.e. brown paint with white added will only get you a beige, it will not bring out the yellow components.
Unread 10-28-2012, 10:06 AM   #3
liyosa

Ahhh I see. I do have yellow paint (bright yellow). I was wondering if I made gold with yellow and brown, would it have the same color, or would it end up looking like a muddy mess? I'd like a golden color rather than a bright yellow color, that's all .

EDIT: Uhhh... what I mean is that I've seen most boots painted a gold color that clearly has glitter in the paint. I was wondering how 'good' it would look without this glitter, is what I was asking. Sorry about the confusion.

Last edited by liyosa : 10-28-2012 at 10:08 AM. Reason: clarification
Unread 10-28-2012, 11:12 AM   #4
rj_sosongco
Rated R for Radical!

It really depends on if you want gold as in a color, or gold as in a metal.

In regards to a gold "color," I mean going for a goldenrod, brownish-yellow hue. Plug the web safe code "FFCC00" into this website to see what I mean:

http://www.febooti.com/products/iezo...rt-picker.html

The other version involves gold as a "metallic." You'll get the most reflective, metallic quality from using the purest paint. Metallic paints usually have some kind of glitter or metallic particles suspended in the paint.

Like Penlowe said, because yellow is a primary color, you won't be able to mix any colors to make it. The theory applies to metallic paint as well; if you wanted to make 2oz of gold metallic paint using 1oz silver metallic and 1oz yellow, the resulting 2oz would be half as yellow (since the ratio is 1/2) as the first ingredient, and half as metallic for the same reason.

Personally, I'd go with something as metallic as possible, so I'd purchase a metallic gold paint.
rj_sosongco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2012, 09:20 AM   #5
Penlowe

Lets put it this way: when you take painting as a college credit course, literally half of the assignments are based around mixing color & color theory. so don't feel dumb, it's a complex process sometimes!
Unread 10-29-2012, 10:06 AM   #6
liyosa

Ahh, thanks guys! Mostly for keeping me from potentially ruining my boots. It'll have to be a hasty job, but I can buy paint on Wednesday and paint it on just in time for the event. But yeah, thanks for explaining to a newbie that color mixing is wayyyyy harder than most purport it to be :3.
Unread 10-29-2012, 10:14 AM   #7
why_00
Emileigh

I don't think she is asking how to mix yellow, she's already stated that she has yellow paint. she was just wondering if she could mix a darker yellow/ goldenrod color which *is* possible depending on the type of yellow she has. Adding tiny amounts of red and brown(and maybe purple to tone the yellow down a bit) might get you there depending on the yellow you have, if it leans more towards a green as a lot of light yellows do then it could turn muddy quick. A good cadmium yellow is what you'd want.(I'm speaking from years of oil painting classes, so it might not translate into acrylic color names quite so well. Someone correct me if I'm wrong though) I also think it will look better with some sort of metallic sheen to it. Regular paint alone will not give this effect as nicely.

If I were to paint on a color to boots like those I personally would start with a gold metallic paint. and then tone it down a bit with various shades of red and brown. However I would use the other paint sparingly and I'd do many test colors to see how the paints reacted together(like if the colors you mixed in with it dulled the metallic sheen too much.) and what shade I actually wanted.
why_00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2012, 11:31 PM   #8
liyosa

That's pretty much what I figured. I think I would be able to achieve a goldenrod color, but I've been looking at reference pictures and other cosplays, and it seems it would be safest to buy a gold with a metallic sheen.

Anyways, the paint was bought. My shoes are actually a shade pinker than the red boots in the picture (mistakes in paint - I thought a bright crimson fabric paint would translate to bright crimson on leather - alas, I was horribly wrong), so I might go with your idea of toning the gold down to match the subdued color as well.

But thank you all again for your advice. It was quite helpful, especially in such a short period of time.
Unread 11-01-2012, 03:25 PM   #9
Ani_BEE
Freaky Fabulous!

Trying to match a shade of blue sky is never racking, as so many colour go into that shade of exact blue. >_< This is an assignment where you paint the rest of a photograpgh I had back in high school I did and I'm still colour correcting in my job on a daily bases.

You really can't get gold from non metallic paints.

You can however fake a gold look by paining a gradation of shade of yellow browns to fake highlights and love lights but it will never have that metallic finish that shifts as the light hits it.

Costume-Con 32
Jack ~ Pandora Hearts
Souryuu ~ Yami no Matsuei
Red Queen

Anime North
Laplace no Ma
Souryuu/Regina ~ Once Upon a Time
Nehelenia

Future cosplays/cons:
Madeline Hatter Legacy Day
Sakizou Arachne
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
My Wigs • Mascot, Costumes (Humanity has Declined) & D.Gray-man Poker Cards • Zori&Tabi from Japan

Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons and cosplay tutorials!

Last edited by Ani_BEE : 11-01-2012 at 03:27 PM.
Ani_BEE is offline   Reply With Quote