Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Unread 10-24-2012, 02:06 AM   #1
daylight
Sugar Junkie

Papercraft in Cosplay

So I just wanted to start a papercraft thread to see if any of you make props with papercraft

Post what you've made, what you want to make, opinions about it, tips, anything.

Unread 10-24-2012, 04:27 AM   #2
ghosgreen

I make a lot of papercraft props. Some for myself, sometimes for other people. Been dabbling in it for about four years now. My thoughts on it is it is not a bad way to get introduced into specifically armor building. It doesn't get much simpler than this especially if you're a beginner and have no idea how to draft patterns and to take those pieces of material and work it into armor and it's relatively cheap. If you screw up making your base piece with paper you've only lost maybe a couple bucks in paper and ink and then once that's done you can get some fiberglass and bam you have a piece you can use. So in that sense it's good. Me personally got my foot in the door into armor building and eventually learned the other great techniques that some of which are better options than papercraft.

But on the down side it's time consuming as all hell and takes a certain amount of patience I've learned not everybody has. Heck even I don't more than half the time which is why I still got stuff unfinished on my desk. Also mainly most people use fiberglass to strengthen their armor which is toxic and bad for your health and not everyone is able to get access to and to get a really good quality piece that requires lots of bondo and sanding. Hours upon hours and sanding and that can be hard to learn.

So overall I find using papercraft both an excellent tool but also a giant headache sometimes. I'm tired so I'll post some of my work later.
ghosgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2012, 01:22 PM   #3
grimpirate

My gallery has a picture of some stuff made using chipboard and a simple dagger.
grimpirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2012, 06:14 PM   #4
RoninEclipse2G
Hope rides ALONE!

I've used papercraft for a few things. Most recently I designed a few additions to a helmet for my Protoman cosplay

P1060574 by dmgice, on Flickr

I'm also in the process of making Halo armor, and eventually I'm planning on doing a full Gundam cosplay using papercraft.
RoninEclipse2G is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2012, 11:53 PM   #5
Access

It's time and discipline, when I had the flu for a few days I once made a kyubei but he was the first major thing I made so far from perfect.

http://accessaccess.deviantart.com/g...et=48#/d3h5wk6

Made some other minor things but nothing too major beyond that.
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2012, 12:16 AM   #6
daylight
Sugar Junkie

Im using it to make some shurikens and kunai knives for an ANBU cosplay
I just started so im just practicing on regular printer paper, ive only made a couple of things so far. I have some cardstock im going to try working with tomorrow

I hope to get really good at it so I can make a full scale Keyblade one day.
Unread 10-26-2012, 03:51 AM   #7
ghosgreen

This mask was made using paper as a base http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3305249/ I'm currently trying to finish up my Halo Marine armor in pep and then from there umm I have Loki helmet commission sitting on my desk that i need to finish up. I hate it...
ghosgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2012, 01:56 AM   #8
~Ichigo~

The only papercraft i've finished is 1 out of 2 horns I was making for a cosplay.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w...uiorrahorn.jpg

A little over 500 faces and surprised it came out so well. Was supposed to fiberglass, sand and paint it but never got around to it.

Currently working on papercrafting certain parts of clouds fenrir bike but only have 1 part done and only half fiberglassed before the weather got to cold. Can't take pictures of it currently since i can't move it atm unless i airbrush the mess of my garage out of the pic :|.
~Ichigo~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2012, 05:49 AM   #9
deelit

wow ghosgreen your mask looks amazing.

I made my first armorpieces out of paper. they are small and not too complicated but I liked how they came out
check them out

I really like paper but I wouldn't use it on bigger pieces. especially weapons, breastplates and stuff. it breaks easily and gets dirty if you don't spend a lot of time to enforce it with more layers of paper or other paint coatings...
deelit is offline   Reply With Quote