Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 11-02-2012, 10:49 AM   #211
dizzymonochrome
Sarah Charade

I think it's cute. When we were in high school, my best friend used to dress kind of androgynous (I had to show him how to shave his legs once), and we'd have fun little photoshoots in the park and at the mall. We thought it was hilarious to confuse people walking past and staring at us. Our other female friends were terribly jealous of his sexy legs.
Actually, I had a lot of guy friends in high school who had no problem wearing skirts, or strange things, or shaving their legs, or wearing makeup to school. One of my other best guy friends still wears makeup sometimes when he goes out.
Also, guilty of once "stalking" (read: following around the mall for an hour being too weird and shy to actually say hi) a cute androgynous guy my friend and I spotted this one time when we were like 15.

It takes a pretty confident dude to want to crossplay, and that's highly commendable. There's such a double standard in gender roles, and the ways people make assumptions of sexual orientation based on what someone else is wearing, that you have to be comfortable in your sexuality (whatever it may be) to be a guy willing to wear a dress or something non-masculine.

Costume design and fabrication
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/sector6labs

Tumblr: http://sector6labs.tumblr.com

Twitter: @sector6labs http://www.twitter.com/sector6labs
dizzymonochrome is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-02-2012, 02:08 PM   #212
charlos777

Oh traditional societal perceptions of gender are no fun anyway. I can't fire, earth, water, or air bend so I Gender Bend. So many friends like it, some don't. Guys, gals, and neither always seem to approve, it just depends on the person. I haven't actually done a crossplay yet, I was supposed to do some at Banzai this year, but I was waaay too tired by the final day. There were some crossplayers I met and they were all pretty cool and fairly popular
charlos777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2012, 08:52 PM   #213
TenTigerLilies
Phuriously Khorrupt Lily

I have no opinion on it. I think that if anything, it's hilarious. But in general, they do what they want, and that's A-OK with me. And, being a female crossplayer, it would be terribly rude of me to say that I did mind.
*Ryoga Hibiki - Ranma 1/2
*Soul Eater Evans - Soul Eater
*Antonio Salieri - Mozart L'Opera Rock
*Rapunzel - Tangled

~Upcoming costumes:
*Miss Martian - Young Justice - 70%
*Monkey D. Luffy - One Piece - 60%
*Kotetsu T. Kaburagi - Tiger & Bunny - 40%
*Ryuk - Death Note - 30%
*Toph Bei Fong - Avatar: The Last Airbender - 5%
TenTigerLilies is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2012, 02:05 PM   #214
Apple Adams
Crossplay Diva!

There's definitely not a concrete "yes" or "no" answer to this question. People are always going to be attracted to a wide range of things. They're also going to be turned off by a wide range of things. For the most part, I've noticed that women at the very least respect and adore men who crossplay. To them, it shows a sense of security, awareness of self, and open mindedness.

One of my best mates is a real manly sort of man who just happens to love crossplaying. His girlfriend not only likes it, she enforces it. She's always the first to help him research new and exciting characters. So yes, I think in many cases, it's possible that women would find crossplaying attractive.

~In Progress~
Erica Anderson - Catherine
Isabella - Paradise Kiss

My Tumblr
My deviantART
My Facebook
Apple Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2012, 11:55 PM   #215
Kell-chan
Confirmed Bachelor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzymonochrome View Post
It takes a pretty confident dude to want to crossplay, and that's highly commendable. There's such a double standard in gender roles, and the ways people make assumptions of sexual orientation based on what someone else is wearing, that you have to be comfortable in your sexuality (whatever it may be) to be a guy willing to wear a dress or something non-masculine.
This right here. I've seen some guys pull off some amazingly convincing crossplays. I respect the amount of effort they go through to pass. I love seeing male crossplayers, and I wish I saw them more often.

Next con: SacAnime Winter (Sacramento, CA)

What am I working on? Check my avatar!
Kell-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2012, 02:11 AM   #216
Diegator
User of Swords

I was surprised by the positive attention I received when I did Sailor Mercury. Most notorious were the girls' comments about my legs, and secondly comments about the costume construction.
Would do it again.
Unread 11-12-2012, 04:59 PM   #217
hana_hr

When it's done correctly, I think it's fabulous! Guys dressed as girls are sexy when they do it confidently ;D
hana_hr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2012, 01:47 AM   #218
NatsukoHirose
Banned

I think it's great, especially when the boys are nice and cute.
NatsukoHirose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2012, 11:31 PM   #219
VickyAmis
Banned

I think it depends. for me, it's okay.
VickyAmis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2012, 04:26 AM   #220
Reilala

Although it was sort of a joke to make one of my friends uneasy, I had a pretty positive reception from my first crossplay of Nel from Bleach. Was using my Espada mask instead of a cracked one and couldn't figure out how to hide fake hips with the short skirt so it was kind of a sunday cosplay anyway.
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3326046/ for the reference.

From what I have noticed the reception of the crossplay is based on where you're doing it-location of the con. Seems like more to the coasts are more accepting of it, but could just be sampling bias since I go to a bunch of them XD.
Reilala is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2012, 05:06 PM   #221
ImNewHere
The new guy.

I am beginning to think that it really comes down to they really are not, even though they may fangirl over it at a con, they really aren't fans of it. It's tempting to finish selling off my crossplay gear. I've already sold off 1/2-3/2 of it already.

I also hit more conventions than most people do, so if you see me say hi. Chances are I'll be selling DVDs in the dealer room.
ImNewHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2012, 08:25 PM   #222
huskies4ever

I find it extremely amusing and I do appreciate seeing male crossplayers at cons. Of course, it's a personal thing. Other people will have theirs own thoughts. I suppose that what really counts is what opinion the crossplayer himself has of the matter.

(ouo)b
huskies4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2013, 01:48 AM   #223
Catscatscats
Skill-Lacker

I think it's cool, I follow many androgynous makeup bloggers with their how-to videos and everything and they're more beautiful than most girls I see.

But the problem in crossplay rather than actual crossdressing is, and no offense, not many men (that I've seen) correctly do makeup and hair. Not that it's big or anything as ANYONE can apply a little makeup, I feel like some male crossplayers just need to look up a few tutorials and such. But that's only in cosplay, at least from what I've seen where issues like that arise.

My favorite though, is seeing boys in Lolita. Men tend to have different face shapes (I said "tend"), from girls, so seeing them wear Lolita, with the beautiful split wigs, when done correctly just looks gorgeous!

And I don't know if this was the question being asked but just throwing it out there, I think it would be sweet to date a cross dresser, whether they be male or female. I'm neither gay nor straight (dafuq am I? Nobody knows) but it all sounds pretty cool to me!

Now as I said, and don't think I'm being MEAN or anything, but as I said earlier, quite a few male crossplayers just don't know how to correctly apply makeup and/or work with hair/wigs. BUT there are some BEAUTIFUL, kind-hearted people out there who have more than enough tutorials!

I love Michael James and the group channel called "androgenetics". If you haven't heard of Michael or the AndroGenetics group themselves, I suggest checking them out. They're all really nice people.
Unread 07-26-2014, 02:51 PM   #224
builder396
Crossplayer

I think it all depends on how tolerant people are in general. So far everyone who knows about my upcoming female Natsuru crossplay has accepted it rather well, although my neighbor couldnt resist making a subtle joke about it once or twice.

Im still not 100% sure about how far i go in terms of make up and everything, simply because i just have no idea how to do it. But I did already test-wise shave my legs and liked it, until it started to regrow of course...

But one of the things i did notice when i already wore the costume, was the fact that wearing a skirt is extremely comfortable, especially when running. It just seemed a lot like there was nothing there, and i sometimes feel like jeans or pants restrict movement a bit.

I am in luck though, im pretty skinny and dont look very masculine so i might actually pass as a girl, i once wore the costume outside (i visited my mother at her workplace, becasue she wanted to see my costume, she called me "pretty") and some people were pretty confused about my gender despite the fact that the costume was not really complete, unstyled wig, and also no fake breasts. Also I was blushing the entire time.
builder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2014, 07:45 PM   #225
LordVoldy
The chibi man

I am a FtM crossplayer and I think it would be awesome to have one of my guy friends crossplay with me.
LordVoldy is offline   Reply With Quote