Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 11-01-2012, 08:02 PM   #16
RaDragon76
Outlaw Robin

First off you're not being a whiny brat here and that the con staff can't be bothered to care about complaints says bad things about that staff. There is definitely something wrong with a con-com that signs a contract to hold a convention in such a run down place. It's not only disgusting but dangerous to the health and safety of the attendees, staff and dealers. I agree with Caps suggestions here. You should definitely pass this along to others and you should just not attend the con in the future. If they can't make a profit then maybe the con-com will start to listen to complaints or the con will fold altogether, which from looking at the pics here would not be a bad thing. Even the location of the one outdoor con I attend a year makes sure all of the buildings and the streets they use are cleaned before the con and has all manner of tents and such in case of inclement weather. That's just pathetic.

Last edited by RaDragon76 : 11-01-2012 at 08:05 PM.
RaDragon76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-01-2012, 08:32 PM   #17
Oniigiri_Basket
Fangirl Extraordinaire

That's downright unacceptable. That place is so filthy I'm surprised anyone stepped foot in it. I feel horrible for the person who got doused by that moldy water. Like Lithium, I would've thrown a fit.

Honestly, it's ridiculous that they even considered that garage an option.
Possible 2015 conventions: Sakura-con, A-Kon
https://www.facebook.com/riceballcosplay
Oniigiri_Basket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2012, 08:45 PM   #18
Fish-and-Chips-Yum
Look! A hidden puzzle!

I was at the convention this past weekend, and it was gross. Granted, I went in there anyways because I wanted to buy things, but I felt like I had to hurry up and do my shopping before I was in there for too long due to the conditions. Even worse, I heard that one of the buckets of disgusting, stagnant water spilled all over somebody, and nearly hit an artist alley table. Tons of emrchandise was ruined over the weekend, and it was just a terrible choice overall. The convention was getting too big for it to be held at the Bellevue Hilton, yet they tried to make it work anyways.

I think I feel the worst for the AA people, because from what I was hearing (both on the forums and in person), most of the people BARELY broke even on their table because the location got little traffic. With tables at $75 a pop, you'd think it'd be in a great location with a large table right? NOPE. 1' by 6' tables in a damp and musty parking garage that most people didn't even want to be in. I really do hope they get a refund like many are trying to, but the forums were closed for "maintenence" (i.e., they don't wany any more people seeing the feedback thread and the way the admins responded so horridly to those who made valid complaints).

As much flack as I'm giving, the rest of the convention was actually good.... though the only thing that made it so good were the con-goers I met there. It makes me said that many of my friends won't go next year because of this.

+See Costume List for Completed Projects+

+In-Progress+
+Rarity+ MLP:FiM ~100%~ Just finished!
+Matryoshka!America+ Hetalia ~20%~ Designing the Hoodie!

+2013 Plans+
+Gala!Rarity+ MLP:FiM
+Ciel Phantomhive (Vol. 6 Outfit)+ Black Butler
+Hatsune Miku (Snow Version 2013)+ Vocaloid
+Umbreon+ Pokemon

+Conventions Planned for 2013+
Sakura Con 2013 ~ 65% Likely
Everfree 2013 ~ 30% Likely
Kumori Con 2013 ~ 40% Likely
Aki Con 2013 ~ 100% Likely
Fish-and-Chips-Yum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2012, 09:43 PM   #19
Li_Syaoran
Lone Wolf

Aki con really need to get some new management.
CureCos:http://en.curecos.com/profile/?ch=331883
Cos Group Page:https://www.facebook.com/LonewolfCosplay

Current Anime Con list
Sakura con 2013
Male Black Rock Shooter
Sword Art Online Gun-master/Swordsman Kirito
Male Suit Saber from Fate Prototype
Imitation Black Kagamine Len
Li_Syaoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2012, 10:00 PM   #20
Mr Zero

Wow, that's pretty bad. I would be concerned if I went to that convention and saw the conditions like that :/
Mr Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2012, 10:02 PM   #21
SirWonderusMary
Join the Flock~

And seeing how the forums are closed for some reason still, here is a blog I found for reviews. Whether it be a good or bad experience at the convention. Of course I just found it, so no idea how many posts are in it or when it was actually made-
http://goddamnitakicon.tumblr.com/

Cosplay List:
-Loftwing (Skyward Sword)
-Postman (Gentlemen's Alliance Cross)
-Joker (Black Butler)

SirWonderusMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2012, 11:44 PM   #22
sukotsuto
Just call me Scott (^_^)

Wow, that's just ludicrous. I've never, thankfully, seen any convention in my area have anything in a parking garage.
Unread 11-02-2012, 12:39 AM   #23
Scoti
Lv. 99

I would have thought it would be illegal to host something like that in a parking garage . Even if only part of the con was in that hellhole it still looks like some law was being tested here...

There is a reason why it's a park-your-car-n'-leave type of place. Garages have years of emissions build up plus whatever materials used in it's construction giving off fumes and god knows what. None of that can be too healthy for breathing in all day. Plus food was served here?! (HOLY SH*T GROSS)

Even if the garage wasn't leaking it's still an insult to do this.
Unread 11-02-2012, 01:20 AM   #24
xandra

Thank you everyone for your time to post.
I am happy to know that my anger, including many others, is not unjustified.

The head of Aki-Con replied to an attendee's feedback email stating:

"As I stated on the forum our theme was halloween and we didnít want carpet or drapes. That was our choice and I think the garage looked just as we envisioned, a spooky halloween warehouse. But i suppose not everyone shared out vision of a spooky halloween con."

This is only one snippet from the entry, but I feel that this is enough to make my point.
I just don't understand how someone could honestly think that this is an OK place to put vendors and artists. I'm just appalled with how Aki-Con is trying to brush this under the run rather than admitting to their faults.

Artists paid $75 for their table and these artists want refunds. I am hoping that we can find a way to get these artists their money back.

FYI. I am NOT trying to shut down Aki-Con by any means. I merely want to stop this nonsense of letting people be put in a moldy, dirty, parking garage. The community is great, the location is not.
xandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2012, 01:26 PM   #25
Amanita

Wanting a spooky atmosphere is one thing, putting attendees into a dirty and unsafe space is another!
Amanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2012, 02:01 PM   #26
JasonTerror
Now known as Sailor Jeimi

That post was what we call a "justification". Meaning they made up an exuse to make them not look bad. That no better then a drug addict saying "I grew it for my friend because he needs it". Which proves the heads of the con are terrible people..I am waiting to see where they are for next year and what they plan on doing for the AA/DH and choose whether or not I get a table this time..I'm glad I had no money for prints and had to give up my table, But I also feel bad because the guy that got my table had to deal with that
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Sakuracon 2014:
-Stocking Anarchy (Panty & Stocking. Normal Ver.)
-Marluxia (Kingdom Hearts Chain Of Memories)
-Akaito (Vocaloid. Black & Red Ver.)
JasonTerror is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2012, 03:33 PM   #27
Li_Syaoran
Lone Wolf

I swear, if I am to take over, or make a new con. It would be better than this.

But the only thing that's preventing me so, is a degree in business and accounting and what not.

but hey, unlike aki con i would be frank and straight forward about the AA and DH location 5 months before the deadline. Asking AA an DH people is the location selected is workable or not.

This is something aki con is not doing, at all. In fact they should do it.

Current Anime Con list
Sakura con 2013
Male Black Rock Shooter
Unread 11-02-2012, 03:39 PM   #28
ShinobuWind
An Ocean Loving Nerd! =D

I've never been to this con, so I hope you don't mind my input, but I have to agree, that the location is absolutely disgusting, and is a safety hazard. And the fact they used the excuse that they wanted a creepy location is a total sack of crap. I'm not sure how running a con works, but I assume the people running it go to the location to check out the area, so for all we know, they knew the exact conditions, yet they still thought it was a good idea to set up the Vendor area there.
It sucks that the attendees and the artists/vendors had to go through that crap. And the fact that the person running the convention is being immature about it isn't helping the situation.
Mikasa Ackerman- Attack on Titan (planning)
Toph Beifong (Fire Nation)- Avatar: The Last Airbender (10%)
ShinobuWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2012, 03:45 PM   #29
Li_Syaoran
Lone Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobuWind View Post
I've never been to this con, so I hope you don't mind my input, but I have to agree, that the location is absolutely disgusting, and is a safety hazard. And the fact they used the excuse that they wanted a creepy location is a total sack of crap. I'm not sure how running a con works, but I assume the people running it go to the location to check out the area, so for all we know, they knew the exact conditions, yet they still thought it was a good idea to set up the Vendor area there.
It sucks that the attendees and the artists/vendors had to go through that crap. And the fact that the person running the convention is being immature about it isn't helping the situation.
Not to mention there was not alot of volunteer staff this year.

Current Anime Con list
Sakura con 2013
Male Black Rock Shooter
Unread 11-02-2012, 04:40 PM   #30
Rhapsodey
WhatisthisIdon'teven...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li_Syaoran View Post
Not to mention there was not alot of volunteer staff this year.
And also not to mention that volunteers working at a for profit is totally against Washington state laws... :3 Found that little bit of info FUN.

This years Aki Con was my first and more than likely my last unless things do a total 180 within the year. I feel horrible for the PR guy they threw out into all of this. >: He's had to deal with so much backlash in the last few days alone.

The conditions that people were put into were just...all kinds of awful. I seriously haven't seen artists treated this badly since SacAnime in 2009, and that was just stuffing people into a small, unlit space and not shoving them into a dirty, nasty, wet, unhealthy parking garage. The fact that Aki has outright blamed the artists for everything and basically called them butthurt whiners has really not been good for their image. Have fun making more money to line your pockets with when you take out your AA, Aki!

Xandra, you aren't a whiner, you aren't an idiot, and we all have to rant sometimes. I'm really glad that the word is getting spread. Maybe Aki will actually see that people are upset and refusing to come back will make them change. >: I know I'll never want to sell there let alone support a business that has such poor customer service and won't listen to anyone but themselves.
Rhapsodey is offline   Reply With Quote