Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Reply
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.00 average.
Unread 11-05-2012, 11:02 AM   #46
fullbleed
Hello I'm Dr Cheeks
 
fullbleed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuyukisou View Post
A lot of useless people should be Darwin'd out of the human population .___. By "useless", I don't simply mean unexceptional. These people are really not doing anything for society besides being a waste of oxygen.
People like this need to get off their high horse, you are not the pinnacle of human civilization, you do not get to judge everyone else. I'm sick of hearing people saying they essentially think areas of the human population should be wiped for the good of mankind. Nothing good for mankind has ever come from genocide.

Besides for everyone you think is a waste to society and simply shouldn't be here, there's probably someone who feels the same way about you. Me.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag
I would have used my awesome space-time warping powers to reach through the internet and throttle your scrawny pole-dancing film-making neck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
Someone supply with a new descriptive label for Fullbleed. Hipster doesn't even cut it any more.
fullbleed is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Unread 11-05-2012, 11:04 AM   #47
BlondieSundae
Skanking Pickle
 
BlondieSundae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 9,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullbleed View Post
People like this need to get off their high horse, you are not the pinnacle of human civilization, you do not get to judge everyone else. I'm sick of hearing people saying they essentially think areas of the human population should be wiped for the good of mankind. Nothing good for mankind has ever come from genocide.

Besides for everyone you think is a waste to society and simply shouldn't be here, there's probably someone who feels the same way about you. Me.
Ya know who thought genocide was a good idea?

Hitler
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium Flower View Post
Once upon an evening dreary, while I lurked weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten posts,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a bitching,
As of some one gently pitching, bitching at my chamber door.
`'Tis JasonTerror,' I muttered, `bitching at my chamber door -
Only this, and nothing more.'
BlondieSundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2012, 11:07 AM   #48
Bisected8
panificium delicatum sum
 
Bisected8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 9,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullbleed View Post
People like this need to get off their high horse, you are not the pinnacle of human civilization, you do not get to judge everyone else. I'm sick of hearing people saying they essentially think areas of the human population should be wiped for the good of mankind. Nothing good for mankind has ever come from genocide.

Besides for everyone you think is a waste to society and simply shouldn't be here, there's probably someone who feels the same way about you. Me.
This. In fact, I reiterate;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisected8 View Post
Darwin's theory of evolution does not support euthanasia, anti-medicine, selective breeding or any other number of ideas based around "stronger genes" (which the theory not only doesn't mention, but outright contradicts the existence of). If anything it suggests the human race with be at its strongest if as many people survive as possible (smaller populations mean smaller gene pools and smaller chances of survival; cheetahs are a good example of a species under threat because of it).
__________________
Me on deviantArt.
Me on TV Tropes.
Me on twitter.

To do; Dark Link (70%) Link (20%)

Can't write, can't draw. Can code, a little.
Bisected8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2012, 11:18 AM   #49
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad
 
The Hag's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 9,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilLittleKiss View Post
Nobody's opinion is any better than anyone else's.
This is false. An informed opinion based on facts is better than an uninformed opinion or one based on falsehoods. Person A may hold the opinion that a particular restaurant is terrible, but if they have never actually eaten there, their opinion is not as valid as someone who has dined there multiple times. The only opinions that can not be disputed involve personal taste. Say that person A loves spicy food and person B hates it. Those two opinions can be considered equally valid.

That not all opinions are equal is not my opinion - it is a fact. However it is quite unpopular.
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2012, 11:21 AM   #50
Fish-and-Chips-Yum
Look! A hidden puzzle!
 
Fish-and-Chips-Yum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 926
...I don't like Halo. I tried Halo 2 and I played it for quite a bit, but shooter games/action games aren't really my interest. My friends always give me flack because I'd rather play Pokemon, but whatever. XD
__________________
~Cosplays~


+See Costume List for Completed Projects+

+In-Progress+
+Rarity+ MLP:FiM ~100%~ Just finished!
+Matryoshka!America+ Hetalia ~20%~ Designing the Hoodie!

+2013 Plans+
+Gala!Rarity+ MLP:FiM
+Ciel Phantomhive (Vol. 6 Outfit)+ Black Butler
+Hatsune Miku (Snow Version 2013)+ Vocaloid
+Umbreon+ Pokemon

+Conventions Planned for 2013+
Sakura Con 2013 ~ 65% Likely
Everfree 2013 ~ 30% Likely
Kumori Con 2013 ~ 40% Likely
Aki Con 2013 ~ 100% Likely
Fish-and-Chips-Yum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2012, 12:08 PM   #51
BlondieSundae
Skanking Pickle
 
BlondieSundae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 9,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
This is false. An informed opinion based on facts is better than an uninformed opinion or one based on falsehoods. Person A may hold the opinion that a particular restaurant is terrible, but if they have never actually eaten there, their opinion is not as valid as someone who has dined there multiple times. The only opinions that can not be disputed involve personal taste. Say that person A loves spicy food and person B hates it. Those two opinions can be considered equally valid.

That not all opinions are equal is not my opinion - it is a fact. However it is quite unpopular.
Listen to Hag, she is wise
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium Flower View Post
Once upon an evening dreary, while I lurked weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten posts,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a bitching,
As of some one gently pitching, bitching at my chamber door.
`'Tis JasonTerror,' I muttered, `bitching at my chamber door -
Only this, and nothing more.'
BlondieSundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2012, 12:57 PM   #52
GunKatCosplay
GunKatCosplay
 
GunKatCosplay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 195
I don't like overly sexualized costumes or overly provocative pictures of cosplays that aren't meant to be provocative characters. It is a lazy, easy way to garner attention and sometimes it makes people very uncomfortable, especially when there are small children in attendance at Cons.
GunKatCosplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2012, 01:10 PM   #53
penny_dreadful
la ctholita
 
penny_dreadful's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 10,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
This is false. An informed opinion based on facts is better than an uninformed opinion or one based on falsehoods. Person A may hold the opinion that a particular restaurant is terrible, but if they have never actually eaten there, their opinion is not as valid as someone who has dined there multiple times. The only opinions that can not be disputed involve personal taste. Say that person A loves spicy food and person B hates it. Those two opinions can be considered equally valid.

That not all opinions are equal is not my opinion - it is a fact. However it is quite unpopular.
I love you.

See also: my signature.
__________________
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
penny_dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2012, 01:53 PM   #54
AlbinoShadow
Registered User
 
AlbinoShadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 94
I dislike Naruto and One Piece because they are too long. I don't enjoy the art styles. On the other hand, I've invested too much time reading Bleach to stop now even though it's too long, doesn't treat the characters with respect, and half the time I can't tell what the artwork is showing. Also, I am tired of Ichigo unrealistically "saving the day" and stealing the spotlight from all the other awesome characters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeAndMusical View Post
I think that the current Doctor from Doctor Who (the 11th) is really annoying, and that the 1st, 3rd, 5th, 6th and 10th were the best.
We'll agree to disagree here. I enjoy the 11th Doctor even though the 3rd will always be my favourite. The 9th Doctor really doesn't excite me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaForThought View Post
.....I hate that stupid pink d*mned monstrosity they like to call a ballgown from Kuroshitsuji.
With a passion. Seriously.
I enjoy seeing a really beautifully made version as cosplay. That takes skill. The thing is, the ballgown had such a minor part in the series that it's becoming a little obnoxious to see it so often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc_The_Lad View Post
Breast Cancer has become an advertising tool to take advantage of women. Seriously, don't buy products with the pink ribbon, don't wear pink, just donate STRAIGHT to a breast cancer group.
Breast cancer isn't pink and poufy and pretty. It's an illness that kills people. Donate because you want to help find a cure, not because I bought a cup of Yoplait yogurt in the dining hall during my ten-minute break.

There's too much of a risk with coffee that it won't taste good. I also think that decaf is a bit pointless.
For me, tea is good as long as it isn't sweetened or over-brewed. Fruit teas make me feel like I'm drowning in sweetness.

EDIT:
@Penny_Dreadful: I love your signature.

Last edited by AlbinoShadow : 11-05-2012 at 01:57 PM.
AlbinoShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2012, 02:27 PM   #55
penny_dreadful
la ctholita
 
penny_dreadful's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 10,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc_The_Lad View Post
Breast Cancer has become an advertising tool to take advantage of women. Seriously, don't buy products with the pink ribbon, don't wear pink, just donate STRAIGHT to a breast cancer group.
With a strong family history of breast cancer (my mother and both grandmothers survived), I get SO INSULTED by people waving around pink swag or putting some freaking useless status update on FB or whatever to "show their support". And as someone who will probably go through it at some point myself, screw you, I hate pink. First person who buys me some pink ribbon shit gets my fabulous cancer wig shoved down their throat.
__________________
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
penny_dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2012, 02:36 PM   #56
Lithium Flower
Handphones
 
Lithium Flower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 15,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
This is false. An informed opinion based on facts is better than an uninformed opinion or one based on falsehoods. Person A may hold the opinion that a particular restaurant is terrible, but if they have never actually eaten there, their opinion is not as valid as someone who has dined there multiple times. The only opinions that can not be disputed involve personal taste. Say that person A loves spicy food and person B hates it. Those two opinions can be considered equally valid.

That not all opinions are equal is not my opinion - it is a fact. However it is quite unpopular.
I am going to tie this in with the phrase "Agree to disagree". Because no. I am not going to 'agree to disagree' if your precious opinion is based on falsehoods and bigoted thought processes dating back to a decade when lobotomies where all the rage.

You are not entitled to an opinion that has absolutely no factual or educated standings behind it, and I will not 'agree to disagree' because you just don't want to hear something that challenges you.
__________________
Iíll tell you what people look like, really: they look like flames. Or like the stars, on a clear night in the wilderness.
LiveStream
Emmers Drawberry: Professional Superhero
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2012, 02:44 PM   #57
Amanita
Registered User
 
Amanita's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,273
Another coffee hater here, I tried the stuff and it just sucked the moisture right out of my mouth!

I'll add another- I'm an artist and a creative person in general, and I don't think it's automatically offensive to make creative works based on real world events. The founder of regretsy seems to think that EVERY creative work that references 9/11, or any other tragic/sad event constitutes "tragicrafting", and is therefore horrible. I disagree. Yes, some of the stuff people come up with lacks imagination. (All those crying eagle or poodle images made after 9/11, by people who seemed to all be using the same clip art collection). And I agree that some stuff is just plain crass- I've heard of somebody making a hurricane Katrina costume, complete with little plastic dead babies, to name just one. And I'm sure somebody, somewhere is already planning a Hurricane Sandy redux.

But I've also seen creative responses to tragic events that were beautiful- beautiful poems, artwork, and other things made by people who use creative mediums as their means of expressing emotion or ideas. And I don't think it's fair to tar and feather those folks right along with people who think it's cool to troll message boards, making awful jokes about people who died. (Yes, I saw somebody do this once- we were discussing that 9/11 documentary filmed by those french filmmakers who were following a crew of firefighters. Some idiot came on, talking about how hilarious it was. For real.)
Amanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2012, 02:54 PM   #58
Lithium Flower
Handphones
 
Lithium Flower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 15,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanita View Post
Another coffee hater here, I tried the stuff and it just sucked the moisture right out of my mouth!

I'll add another- I'm an artist and a creative person in general, and I don't think it's automatically offensive to make creative works based on real world events. The founder of regretsy seems to think that EVERY creative work that references 9/11, or any other tragic/sad event constitutes "tragicrafting", and is therefore horrible. I disagree. Yes, some of the stuff people come up with lacks imagination. (All those crying eagle or poodle images made after 9/11, by people who seemed to all be using the same clip art collection). And I agree that some stuff is just plain crass- I've heard of somebody making a hurricane Katrina costume, complete with little plastic dead babies, to name just one. And I'm sure somebody, somewhere is already planning a Hurricane Sandy redux.

But I've also seen creative responses to tragic events that were beautiful- beautiful poems, artwork, and other things made by people who use creative mediums as their means of expressing emotion or ideas. And I don't think it's fair to tar and feather those folks right along with people who think it's cool to troll message boards, making awful jokes about people who died. (Yes, I saw somebody do this once- we were discussing that 9/11 documentary filmed by those french filmmakers who were following a crew of firefighters. Some idiot came on, talking about how hilarious it was. For real.)
Right off the top of my head I can name two absolutely hauntingly beautiful pieces of artwork that relate to a tragedy of some sort.

Black Black Heart relating to oil spills

and Helpless (warning: child harm) which was done by the artist after they heard about Yueyue, a Chinese toddler who was struck twice by two different drivers in a Chinese market. Both drivers where aware they hit her, and left her bleeding to death in the market stall with multiple shoppers ignoring her. She eventually passed away, at the age of two, and this story gained national attention and sparked a law change in China which would provide legal safety to citizens who assist someone who is injured or ill.

Both of these pieces are gorgeously done, tasteful, respectful, and provide commentary on their subjects in a stunning way. Art is a method of communication, it isn't just animu and kawaii desu~. Unfortunately we've forgotten the arts capacity for communication without words and may shun it's valuable resources without even realizing it.

That said, I DO understand where someone would get angry. Shortly after everything in Japan I saw deviantART plastered with thoughtless images of Hetalia characters comforting 'Japan' in some half baked yaoi style bullshit. A national emergency is not your opportunity to draw a character based on the nation of Japan bloodied and beaten while America gives him the bedroom eyes you sick freak. Take that shit and get out of my face.

The key is respect and intent. Many of the pictures I mentioned about Japan where just absolute offensive nonsense with no intent other then to draw some fucking yaoi fanart of a horribly beaten and bloodied Japan character while another super sexy desu country tenderly licks their wounds clean. It's not respectful, it's just yaoi fanart your passing off as a homage.
__________________
Iíll tell you what people look like, really: they look like flames. Or like the stars, on a clear night in the wilderness.
LiveStream
Emmers Drawberry: Professional Superhero
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness


Last edited by Lithium Flower : 11-05-2012 at 02:57 PM.
Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2012, 03:43 PM   #59
Amanita
Registered User
 
Amanita's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,273
That one, "Helpless" is just incredible, sad to look at. When I was planning my first trip to NYC, I was researching Tribute WTC, a memorial museum adjacent to the WTC site. One thing I found was a newsletter put out by the organization that runs it, referring to an off-off Broadway play coming out, called "Before Your Very Eyes", that dealt with 9/11. They were asking their members "Should there be plays about 9/11?"

I say yes, why not? If an individual feels that the play might trigger or re-traumatize them, they can choose to avoid it. And if it's badly written trash that treats NYC or the victims with disrespect, word will get out, and people will avoid it. Sometimes I feel that when it comes to writing, making art, or otherwise doing creative work based on or inspired by tragic events, it's a greater affront to throw those events down the memory hole, to dance around them like the 800 pound gorillas in the room that everyone's afraid to deal with. Sure, in issuing some moral proclamation that a certain event is off limits, and us creatives should "Have some decency" and not touch it, you might stop a few clowns from parading around in crassly made Hurricane Sandy or crashed plane costumes. But how many other good things will that edict also stifle, and how much else will get caught up as collateral damage? I don't even think such an edict would stop the truly crass- it might actually spawn MORE crassness, or worse stuff from contrary types who relish pushing boundaries, or who just plain don't like being told what to do.
Amanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2012, 08:23 PM   #60
TeaForThought
Fragile: Handle with Care
 
TeaForThought's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 553
I'm probably going to get flamed for this. But.
I absolutely can't stand the whole turning male characters into females thing. Whether it's in manga or anime or even comics. I appreciate when costumes are done well and not just people trying to get attention or whatever, but Please. When there are perfectly good male designs and other Female characters who would wear basically the same thing, don't stick a guy in a dress without purpose. It's just plain annoying to me. A similar issue with it...if you're crossplaying, make it convincing. I get it, it's easier or whatever to slap on pigtails and a dress and call it a crossplay. Ladies, we know you're a lady when you've got your cleavage, okay? To put it bluntly...guys don't have boobies. I'm just saying.

Uhm..also...unrelated but...I think I must be one of the few people who still doesn't like MLP.
__________________
"People do not care. If you cannot keep up, you will lose everything."
ďItís not how tragically we suffer, but how miraculously we live.Ē
~Tea is wisdom, just add water~
TeaForThought is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:12 AM.


Copyright 2002-2013 Cosplay.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
All comments and posts in our forums are the opinion of the respective poster.