Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Youmacon

Unread 10-30-2012, 05:22 PM   #1
Hime no Toki
NiGHTmaren
Modoka Magica

Youmacon 2012: Feedback Thread

This thread is for posting your thoughts/opinions on Youmacon 2012!

From your experience this year, what were the pros and cons? What were the highlights and lowlights? Would you return again next year?

Also, you can discuss the particulars of the convention, such as the events, panels, masquerade, dances, etc., as well as what you thought about the con and hotel staff, the guests, convention space, food, dealer's room, attendees, and whatever else pertaining to this year's Youmacon!

2014 Conventions :
Katsucon (Washington, DC) - Megacon (FL) - Colossalcon (OH) - Anime Weekend Atlanta (GA)

Upcoming costumes : Princess Garnet (coronation gown) from FFIX, Edea Lee (various costmes) from Bravely Default, and more!

http://www.facebook.com/NiGHTmarenCosplay
Hime no Toki is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-04-2012, 11:42 PM   #2
MetalArtisan

I'll be the first to express a Lowlight:
The Marriott.
All the stuff with the wristbands and the "wellness checks" was just a wee bit too Germany 1939 for me. I cancelled my room there Thursday night when I saw what all they were doing, and booked a room at another hotel that was half the price, had free breakfast, free parking, free wifi, and refrigerators in the rooms. On top of that, when one of my friends checked into the Marriott on Thursday, she found that the room had a fifty dollar deposit and a fifteen percent "tax" on top of the price listed. This really got my suspicion up, as sale's tax in MI is only six percent, which is what I was charged at my own hotel. The combined fees all but completely wiped out her cash for the weekend.
Seriously. To hell with the Marriott. I feel like they only resent and distrust the people of Youmacon, and if they don't want us there, then we shouldn't be patronizing them.
The move to the Cobo Center was.... mixed, for me. As an artist, I definitely appreciated having a larger space which allowed for more artists to be in the AA. That said, I felt like having the AA/Dealer's Room in a separate building *really* drove down traffic, as a lot of people simply didn't know how to get there, or didn't want to pay to ride the People Mover/walk through the streets of Detroit. Between this and the above mentioned wallet-gouging the Marriott was pulling, everyone I talked to reported sales being way down from last year.
So yeah. I'll definitely be returning next year, and I'm hoping the situation with the buildings will be a bit smoother by then; but I am swearing off ever giving money to the Detroit Marriott again.
MetalArtisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2012, 10:24 PM   #3
Miyabi-
All Will Be Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalArtisan View Post
I'll be the first to express a Lowlight:
The Marriott.
. On top of that, when one of my friends checked into the Marriott on Thursday, she found that the room had a fifty dollar deposit and a fifteen percent "tax" on top of the price listed. This really got my suspicion up, as sale's tax in MI is only six percent, which is what I was charged at my own hotel. The combined fees all but completely wiped out her cash for the weekend.
http://detroit.about.com/od/artsente...oit_tips_2.htm

Hotel tax and sales tax are different. Hotel taxes are a consumer tax on lodging charges for periods of less than 30 consecutive days for hotels, motels, rooming houses, private campgrounds, RV parks, and similar facilities.

I know I paid 12% tax when I went on vacation this year so taxation in hotels over 10% isn't that uncommon. Hotels also like to tack on "resort fees" as well so that's something to watch out for when you book/check out.

Always ask what the total cost of a room is including all taxes and additional fees when you are booking because sometimes they won't let you know up front!
Miyabi- is offline   Reply With Quote