Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 198 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 11-07-2012, 04:40 PM   #436
Ninaiso
Trying on a Budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ion View Post
Ninaiso:

That is a script for toric lenses to correct astigmatism. Yours appears to be within the minor-but-approaching-moderate range. That said, Pinky does not offer lenses with + powers for correcting farsightedness, in fact most cosmetic lenses do not.

There is a formula to convert toric prescriptions to spherical but it still would leave you in the positive numbers. You should speak with your eye doctor and see if they have anything they can order for you or ask if you could wear plano [unpowered lenses, functionality permitting that is]. I would not mention that you want to buy circle lenses from abroad though. US docs do not like patients getting products that they have never seen/handled.
Wait so I have an astigmatism? Wouldn't he have told me if I did? That's confusing.. I thought my vision was fine. O.o

Thanks for the advice, I'll be sure to call and figure all this out. XD
I really hope there's a place I can get coloured contacts for cosplay.. I'd hate not being able to wear any. x.x

On a note of plano... If I can wear those, I'd choose the 0.00 for the contacts right?
Ninaiso is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-21-2013, 03:36 PM   #437
azyryan
one disturbing paradox

I have 20/20 vision so I've never had to use glasses or contacts. I really wanna buy a pair of circle lenses from pinky paradise for my cosplay do I still need to go to an eye doctor first? What would I need to go for?
Apologies if any of this could've been found in the beginning, I got a little lost in all the information.
2012:
Dead Master (Black Rock Shooter OVA)
Riku (Kingdom Hearts/Org.XIII)
2011:
Misa Amane (movie)
Nana Osaki
2010:
Misa Amane(closet/halloween costume)
azyryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 05:46 PM   #438
Touya no miko
TnM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azyryan View Post
I have 20/20 vision so I've never had to use glasses or contacts. I really wanna buy a pair of circle lenses from pinky paradise for my cosplay do I still need to go to an eye doctor first? What would I need to go for?
Apologies if any of this could've been found in the beginning, I got a little lost in all the information.
Hello!

It is very important you see an eye doctor before ordering contacts. Just as one shoe size doesn't fit all, one contact lens size doesn't fit all.

If the curvature of a contact lens is too flat or too steep for your eye's shape, you could experience discomfort or even eye damage. The eye doctor will take measurements of your eyes, so they know which lenses fits the best for you.

For instance, my B.C(Base curve) is 8.4.

Seras Victoria-Blood version
Mulan
Touya no miko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2013, 10:17 AM   #439
ChibiNeriBuni
Baby Cosplayer

I am suppose to be going back to the eye doctor this week and I really wanted to get some blue contact lens for my jack frost cosplay (since his eyes are blue and mine are brown) but contacts really hurt my eyes. Is it worth getting them or not? I would rather go without but alot of others think contacts help the person your going as come to life. :/

Cosplays:
Amethyst (Steven Universe) 100%,Harley Quinn [O.L] (Batman),Aoba Serageki (Dramatical Murder) 80%, Kagamine Rin Matryoshka 100%,Shion No.6 100%

Hanji Zoe (Shingeki no Kyojin) 80%, Austrian Succession War Hetalia (Prussia) 20%, Mistress Death {Deadpool Game} (5%)

Monaco {Hetalia} (planning), Sailor Neptune (planning), Neo Queen Serenity (planning)
ChibiNeriBuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2013, 12:26 PM   #440
Ion
Lyrical gangster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiNeriBuni View Post
I am suppose to be going back to the eye doctor this week and I really wanted to get some blue contact lens for my jack frost cosplay (since his eyes are blue and mine are brown) but contacts really hurt my eyes. Is it worth getting them or not? I would rather go without but alot of others think contacts help the person your going as come to life. :/
Contact lenses feel a little weird at first but they should never "hurt". I would mention that to your eye doctor if you still want to get lenses. In the grand scheme of things though, contact lenses are a "nice touch" as some people say but really not necessary. They do not get noticed unless someone is taking a close up photo or if someone is a few feet away from you to see your eyes.

I just wore my Jack Frost costume last weekend a few hours each day, and sometimes I had my blue lenses in, sometimes I just had my regular prescription lenses, and sometimes I wore my glasses. No one had a problem with any of those combinations and I was still stopped for photos quite frequently. One person even wanted me to leave my glasses on for a pic, so it's up to you, your comfort level, and whether you want to invest in them.

Not everyone can wear contacts for various reasons so do not feel that your costume is any less "complete" for not wearing them.

CURRENT PROJECTS
Lind - Ah My Goddess | Elsa - Frozen (rework costume) | Tiki - Dragon's Crown | Toothiana - Rise of the Guardians | Legolas - Lord of the Rings
Ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2013, 01:19 PM   #441
ChibiNeriBuni
Baby Cosplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ion View Post
Contact lenses feel a little weird at first but they should never "hurt". I would mention that to your eye doctor if you still want to get lenses. In the grand scheme of things though, contact lenses are a "nice touch" as some people say but really not necessary. They do not get noticed unless someone is taking a close up photo or if someone is a few feet away from you to see your eyes.

I just wore my Jack Frost costume last weekend a few hours each day, and sometimes I had my blue lenses in, sometimes I just had my regular prescription lenses, and sometimes I wore my glasses. No one had a problem with any of those combinations and I was still stopped for photos quite frequently. One person even wanted me to leave my glasses on for a pic, so it's up to you, your comfort level, and whether you want to invest in them.

Not everyone can wear contacts for various reasons so do not feel that your costume is any less "complete" for not wearing them.
Thanks. ^^ The contacts I used to have were regular prescription and what I meant by hurt was they really irritated my eyes, even when I would put eye drops in. Dunno if it was the lenses or something else but I will be asking my eye doctor about it.

Cosplays:
Amethyst (Steven Universe) 100%,Harley Quinn [O.L] (Batman),Aoba Serageki (Dramatical Murder) 80%, Kagamine Rin Matryoshka 100%,Shion No.6 100%

Hanji Zoe (Shingeki no Kyojin) 80%, Austrian Succession War Hetalia (Prussia) 20%, Mistress Death {Deadpool Game} (5%)

Monaco {Hetalia} (planning), Sailor Neptune (planning), Neo Queen Serenity (planning)
ChibiNeriBuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2013, 05:39 PM   #442
gothixloli

does anyone know what kind of lens solutions and cleaner is good to use with pinky paradise lenses? i ordered them and i didnt order any solution or anything just the lenses also any one know were i can get said stuff with fast shipping?
gothixloli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2013, 11:34 AM   #443
Ion
Lyrical gangster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothixloli View Post
does anyone know what kind of lens solutions and cleaner is good to use with pinky paradise lenses? i ordered them and i didnt order any solution or anything just the lenses also any one know were i can get said stuff with fast shipping?
Unless you add a "care pack" most contact lens places do not include solution with your purchase. That said, any solution made for soft contact lenses will work. Pinky Paradise lenses are nothing special requiring specific formulas etc. I recommend Biotrue or ClearCare (a peroxide-based solution) both available at any drugstore/pharmacy. Even if you do not go with either brand, there are going to be a number of solutions you can choose from.

CURRENT PROJECTS
Lind - Ah My Goddess | Elsa - Frozen (rework costume) | Tiki - Dragon's Crown | Toothiana - Rise of the Guardians | Legolas - Lord of the Rings
Unread 03-18-2013, 05:59 AM   #444
gothixloli

thank you very much
gothixloli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2013, 10:56 PM   #445
teabeforecoffee

Been skimming through the thread (meaning: I apologize ahead of time if this has already been asked) but I have green/blue eyes and am wondering if anyone could give me suggestions for DARK brown contacts. I am cosplaying Princess Garnet (Final Fantasy IX) next month at Anime North and her eyes are a beautiful deep brown. I know contacts will likely not cover all of my natural eye but any suggestions would be better than where I am at! Thankyou so much!
teabeforecoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2013, 08:54 AM   #446
xcvi
xcvi

I purchased circle lenses from Pinky Paradise.. I have no doubt that they're real and good quality. However.. I know that I would feel a lot more comfortable if an optometrist would teach me about contacts. I didn't go to one before getting them because 1) I have 20/20 vision and 2) I feel like they would just tell me not to purchase them and 3) all circle lenses come with the same base curve so they wouldn't be able to do any sort of fitting anyways. Since I live in the US and they're illegal to sell here... an optometrist wouldn't be able to get trial lenses or have any idea how they'd fit me. Do you think that if I brought in the once that I received that they would be okay with having an appointment to teach me how to put them in (I've tried, I'm terrible), tell me the solution and drops that I should have (I purchased some based on what other people have) and so on? Or would they just say circle lenses are the devil and turn me away lol. I've seen many optometrists online saying, like everyone else, that circle lenses aren't any worse than normal lenses, you just have to take care of them properly.

I'm just a little lost and feel like consulting a doctor would be helpful! How do you think they'd react?

ALSO.. people go in for fittings for sclera lenses right? So how on earth can a doctor complain about circle lenses when they're fitting patients for contacts that cover your entire eye!
xcvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2013, 04:20 PM   #447
Ion
Lyrical gangster

You did things out of order a bit but it is nothing that cannot be corrected.

1.) Simply having 20/20 vision is not a guarantee you can or should wear contact lenses or lenses made of certain materials.

2.) It is always best to get formally fitted for contacts by an optometrist so that they can check your overall eye health and give you the right measurements for lenses (even if you have 20/20 vision, your measurements can vary from someone who also has 20/20). You can have emerging eye issues without "feeling" or noticing any changes.

3.) At the fitting, if you are cleared to wear lenses, they will teach you how to clean, store, apply, and remove your lenses.

4.) I would suggest just going and making an appointment while saying you are interested in getting cosmetic lenses.

5.) There are tons of free trial colored lenses that offices give out so either print out one of their vouchers or ask at your appointment. That gives you something to practice with + free lenses are free lenses.

6.) Once you get a prescription from him/her, compare it to what you just bought on Pinky Paradise. If the prescription is different from what you bought, do not wear the lenses. If it does turn out to be the same, now you have the skills and knowledge to take care of them.

7.) It sounds like you already opened the lenses from Pinky Paradise(?). You could try bringing them in, but the eye doctor may give you a speech about the importance of getting fitted etc. Technically since you have not lost an eye yet and would be there for a fitting, they may see it as a positive way to correct your oversight. It depends, tread carefully.

8.) Eye doctors here like to work with products they know and trust. Sclera lenses come with different rules than regular contact lenses and people have to be specially fitted and instructed on how to wear/handle them by the eye doctor. In fact, I have never seen a site sell sclera lenses without prescription verification whereas one can get regular contacts without this check. For sclera lenses, eye doctors have to be there every step of the way. That is how they can "complain about circle lenses when they're fitting patients for contacts that cover your entire eye".

9.) True, most cosmetic contact lenses, circle or otherwise, do come in a standard base curve of 8.6. If your base curve is different from that it could lead to problems. There are some brands that offer steeper and flatter base curves and custom is an option as well.

CURRENT PROJECTS
Unread 04-15-2013, 12:43 AM   #448
xcvi
xcvi

Oh my goodness! Thank you so much for responding! So what I think I'll do now is make an appointment and say I'm interested in cosmetic lenses like you said. Then I'd go through all of that and know I can use the circle lenses properly.. if they apply to all my optical needs.

Yes, I have opened my lenses and I also got them in plano. I've tried to put them in multiple times and I'm just failing so badly.. I would feel a whole lot more comfortable knowing that I'm doing everything right (or as right as I can be with circle lenses). Currently, I have them sitting in the case just soaking. I changed the solution each time I attempted to put them in.. and I rinsed the case with the solution but didn't really have enough time to let it air dry. My lens solution says that they can soak for 30 days before you need to change the solution, this is obviously if you haven't taken them out.

So.. am I doing this right here? If I make an appointment will they give me trial lenses for free no matter what or do I have to do something special to get them?
xcvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2013, 03:30 PM   #449
Ion
Lyrical gangster

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcvi View Post
So.. am I doing this right here? If I make an appointment will they give me trial lenses for free no matter what or do I have to do something special to get them?
If you are cleared to wear lenses, many offices tend to have some colored lenses on hand for trial. However, I think it would be wise to google and print out a voucher for the lenses, then bring it to your appointment.

Here are 2 companies that always have free trial vouchers:
http://www.freshlookcontacts.com/htm...rial_form.html
https://www.acuvue.com/free-trial-form-teen

CURRENT PROJECTS
Unread 04-30-2013, 12:25 PM   #450
CosplayNeko

Sorry if this question has already been asked, but this is a long thread and I didn't see the question in the stickied posts.

The first pair of circle lenses I bought were pretty tricky to get in my eye and seemed to move quite a bit when I blinked. So much so that I could show people the contact roll back up onto my eye. Is this normal and should I be concerned? I bought the size that my doctor said should be fine.
CosplayNeko is offline   Reply With Quote