Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Unread 11-12-2012, 02:30 PM   #1
t00tsypop

battery op. lights. help

i need to make this weapon (from ff14 blm relic)

the ball at the top glows.. i have the ball made. and i went and bough a battery op. chistmas lights. which works perfect. my issue is.. the battery pack is way to big. its this big square pack. and i need to make it rectangle-ish so it can do down inside my pole. anyone kno how i can dismantle the battery pack to resize it. lol my google search didnt get to well and i dont wanna break it before knewing it can be done. thing was like $10.
- friday; archer from Dragons crown
- saturday; escha from atelier escha and logy

facebook
t00tsypop is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-12-2012, 04:09 PM   #2
djlemma

If you have a link to the lights you bought, it would maybe help.. What kind of batteries does it currently take?

If it's AA batteries, you can find things like this to arrange the batteries in a long skinny way instead of side by side. Or you can get individual battery holders and wire them to each other- I can draw up a diagram of how that would work. You may still need some of the guts of the battery pack that came with the lights, but the battery holder itself you can certainly get rid off. You also can maybe increase the lifespan of the batteries if you have room- if the pack takes 4xAAA, you can use 4xAA or 4xC batteries instead. The fatter batteries will last quite a bit longer.
Unread 11-12-2012, 05:16 PM   #3
t00tsypop

i bought this
http://target.scene7.com/is/image/Ta..._Alt02?wid=300

the battery pack looks like this

it takes 4 AA.
i sadly cant do 2XC my pole i have is a 3/4'' so AA fit awesome
- friday; archer from Dragons crown
- saturday; escha from atelier escha and logy

facebook
t00tsypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2012, 06:18 PM   #4
Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by t00tsypop View Post
the ball at the top glows.. i have the ball made. and i went and bough a battery op. chistmas lights. which works perfect. my issue is.. the battery pack is way to big. its this big square pack. and i need to make it rectangle-ish so it can do down inside my pole. anyone kno how i
I don't know just how thin you need: if the inside diameter of the pole is 1.1 inches or more, this will do:

http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...14AAW-ND/66735

Otherwise you'll need to get singles... either way you'll need to splice the wires in.

Last edited by Access : 11-12-2012 at 07:14 PM.
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2012, 06:52 PM   #5
djlemma

Here's a step-by-step, best I can do. I will make a diagram too if I can figure out a way to upload it.

Get 4 of these...
Each one has a red wire and a black wire.

You'll also need about a foot of additional wire- red or black, up to you. Let's assume black.
You'll also need a roll of electrical tape.

Using wire strippers if you have them, or a knife if you don't, strip back maybe an inch worth of insulation on each wire.
Put all the battery holders in a row so the red wires are always on the right and black wires on the left.
Twist the red and black wires together everywhere where there are two holders next to each other. You'll end up with a black wire by itself, 3 pairs of red+black twisted together, then a red wire by itself.
Take that extra foot of black wire and use it to extend the black wire at the beginning of the chain of battery holders.

Use electrical tape to cover up all these places that you've twisted wires together.

Now, you should be able to put batteries into the holders, open up the battery compartment for your LED lights, and touch the red wire to first flat plate and the the black wire to the first spring. You'll have to experiment to figure out which of the plates and springs are actually connected to the LED's, but you can safely mess around with live 6V power. Just touch wires to battery contacts with the LED's turned on until you see them light up. Then you'll know you have the wiring right so far.

Next step, rip the battery compartment apart. You'll probably end up needing a saw to cut the plastic away for the unused portion. Hopefully, the plate and spring that actually hook up too the LED's will be on wires, and you can just strip back those wires and twist the metal together like you did before. If they're part of a circuit board or something, you probably will need a soldering iron, but it's still totally possible.

Once you've got this nice loose heap of parts all spliced together and functioning, just figure out a way to secure it all together in a slim fashion and slide it into your staff. Electrical tape, maybe some hot glue or superglue, maybe a long piece of plastic to glue everything to- all these things will be your friends when figuring out how to hold it all together. Just try to make sure there's no tension on those spliced wires, and that you can still replace the batteries when they run out.

Sorry this is so long winded, I was trying to explain it as simply as possible. I probably should have drawn a picture FIRST.