Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 11-12-2012, 09:32 PM   #1
p8ntballsniper8
Whaddya buyin?

Dumb question

So I'm a bit confused, I've got little to no sewing experience, but I wanted to make a Dark Link costume, but I've been a bit confused. I wanted to make the tunic out of t-shirt material, but, when I looked at my shirts, they say 100% cotton. When I went to the fabric store, the 100% cotton bolts were nothing like my shirts.

Explain?

Cons attending -

Sakuracon 2014-Donezo!
EverFree Northwest 2014
p8ntballsniper8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-12-2012, 10:39 PM   #2
Nostrum
R4Hscal

The cotton that your tshirts are made from is a jersey stretch material. It's knitted instead of woven.

Do you have someone who can help you make the costume? If you've not really sewn before, knit fabric is really hard to work with.
Nostrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2012, 10:48 PM   #3
p8ntballsniper8
Whaddya buyin?

Well, I ended up buying woven fabric. I was just hoping it would hang a little looser >>

Cons attending -

Sakuracon 2014-Donezo!
EverFree Northwest 2014
Unread 11-12-2012, 11:06 PM   #4
Evil Bishounen
Hail to the King

Not all cottons are created equal. Each textile ("type of fabric") has totally different properties. "Cotton" only describes the material that a particular fabric is made of, and is completely independent of whether it is knit or woven, or even the style of weave.

Not all woven fabrics are the same, either. A twill is completely different from a broadcloth, and both of those are different from sateen. Some are very stiff, some are thick, some are thin, and some are really drapey.

FYI, make sure you wash your fabric BEFORE you cut and sew anything. There are two reasons for this:
1) Fabric on the bolt is pre-treated with a chemical called "sizing". You need to wash that stuff out. Sizing often makes fabric stiffer, and if you wash it out, the true hand (feel and drape) of the fabric will come through.
2) Fabric will shrink somewhat after washing. You want the shrink to happen before you sew anything out of it, not after your garment is finished, otherwise your finished garment may be ruined when you wash it for the first time.

2014: Anime Los Angeles and whatever else falls into my lap

I now have a Tumblr. Sometimes I use it.
Evil Bishounen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2012, 08:54 PM   #5
Penlowe

A way that helps people understand the difference:
Weave: how the fibers are assembled into a cloth.

Steel can be made into lots of things. A nice pocket knife and a car are both steel, but serve completely different purposes and are not interchangeable. Your cotton tee shirt and the cotton broadcloth you bought are the same fiber, but made into different products with different purposes. One is knitted, the other is plain weave. Same fiber, different construction.
Fiber Content: what the individual threads in any given fabric are made from.
Knives can be made out of a lot of different materials, steel, iron, bronze, silver, even bone or flint. Each one has it's pros and cons but they all achieve the same purpose, slicing stuff. Each one the end result is the same, although their appearance and ability to do the job at hand varies considerably, the task is still the same. You can buy jersey made from cotton, polyester, polyester-cotton blend, silk, linen, rayon or even wool but they all will have some stretch, a soft feel and a fine texture much like your tee shirt.

Clear as mud for ya now?
Unread 11-13-2012, 09:57 PM   #6
p8ntballsniper8
Whaddya buyin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penlowe View Post
A way that helps people understand the difference:
Weave: how the fibers are assembled into a cloth.

Steel can be made into lots of things. A nice pocket knife and a car are both steel, but serve completely different purposes and are not interchangeable. Your cotton tee shirt and the cotton broadcloth you bought are the same fiber, but made into different products with different purposes. One is knitted, the other is plain weave. Same fiber, different construction.
Fiber Content: what the individual threads in any given fabric are made from.
Knives can be made out of a lot of different materials, steel, iron, bronze, silver, even bone or flint. Each one has it's pros and cons but they all achieve the same purpose, slicing stuff. Each one the end result is the same, although their appearance and ability to do the job at hand varies considerably, the task is still the same. You can buy jersey made from cotton, polyester, polyester-cotton blend, silk, linen, rayon or even wool but they all will have some stretch, a soft feel and a fine texture much like your tee shirt.

Clear as mud for ya now?
Actually, made a ton of sense. Great analogy!

Cons attending -

Sakuracon 2014-Donezo!
EverFree Northwest 2014