Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > Bleach

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 262 votes, 4.96 average.
Unread 08-06-2012, 07:51 PM   #8446
HelloJapan

Thanks for everything! I'll post my progress later!

Last edited by HelloJapan : 08-06-2012 at 08:00 PM.
HelloJapan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-06-2012, 08:04 PM   #8447
Blood_Sword
Fabulous Boyfriend

No problems and do so, I will be looking forward to it!

*~In progress~*
Masamune Date - Sengoku Basara
Eren Yeager (casual outfit) - Attack on Titan
Levi (suit) - Attack on Titan

*~Next con I'm attending~*
FIN Desucon Frostbite (13-15 February 2015)
FRI ???
SAT ???
SUN ???
Blood_Sword is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2012, 10:04 AM   #8448
Comp_Stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloJapan View Post
PS: I want to cosplay Isshin Kurosaki xD! I love him and I'm kinda limited for cosplay options with my look, so Im thinking about him or Asuma from Naruto. Check my picture: picture
*checks as well* O_O Dooooo eeeeeet. I think it would be perfect. Plus if you have a hawaiian shirt you could run around the convention and yell Good morning, Ichigo.
Comp_Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2012, 03:58 PM   #8449
EpicNiss

I have never seen an Isshin done before, and I was definitely looking for one at Youmacon last year. Definitely go for it! P.S. You look so much like himmmmmmm!
EpicNiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2012, 06:34 PM   #8450
HelloJapan

thank you guuuuuuys ^^ ... I'm just having some problems with my top-piece kimono, when I figure it out I think I'll be done ^^... I'm still thinking about buying a Black Haori, but blood_sword is against it, he says it's not the right kimono! I can't help it but believe it's the right one since:

1) ordinary kimono - sleeves not wide in circumference, no arm-pit gaps
2) montsuki - too long, interferes with hakama(?), clan crests..
3) juban - underkimono, won't fit the criteria(?)
4) monpuku - found that term but unknown to me, close to montsuki

That makes me believe I could just wear Haori inside the Hakama so I'd look close to Bleach's Shinigami.
And yes, my sewing skills are limited, I don't even have sewing machine, I don't have a willing grandma who's waste her time sewing something like that, aaaaaand my budget is limited so I can't afford much with local crafters since they charge enormous amount of money for some piece of dress (kimono) they produce.

Any thoughts on this?

p.s. Blood_Sword don't kill me yet, I didn't order Haori yet.
Unread 08-20-2012, 12:03 AM   #8451
Comp_Stein

It's technically not the right one, but the list of people who are going to know that is pretty short, so if that's the one you like then go for it. I did look up the iaido gi, and it looks like one of those would work as well.
Comp_Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2012, 05:32 AM   #8452
HelloJapan

Yeah right, I don't think there will be many people noticing it since in Czech Republic the Japanese knowledge is really poor.

I have two worries still, will Haori look good if I put it together and tie it with obi? (since it's worn untied) and can it go under (inside?) the hakama? These are my two worries.

@Comp_Stein: Aiado gi? But what about the sleeves? I wouldnt be satisfied with ordinary sleeves!

Last edited by HelloJapan : 08-20-2012 at 05:40 AM.
Unread 08-23-2012, 01:29 PM   #8453
Blood_Sword
Fabulous Boyfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloJapan View Post
thank you guuuuuuys ^^ ... I'm just having some problems with my top-piece kimono, when I figure it out I think I'll be done ^^... I'm still thinking about buying a Black Haori, but blood_sword is against it, he says it's not the right kimono! I can't help it but believe it's the right one since:

1) ordinary kimono - sleeves not wide in circumference, no arm-pit gaps
2) montsuki - too long, interferes with hakama(?), clan crests..
3) juban - underkimono, won't fit the criteria(?)
4) monpuku - found that term but unknown to me, close to montsuki

That makes me believe I could just wear Haori inside the Hakama so I'd look close to Bleach's Shinigami.
And yes, my sewing skills are limited, I don't even have sewing machine, I don't have a willing grandma who's waste her time sewing something like that, aaaaaand my budget is limited so I can't afford much with local crafters since they charge enormous amount of money for some piece of dress (kimono) they produce.

Any thoughts on this?

p.s. Blood_Sword don't kill me yet, I didn't order Haori yet.
Trust me, a haori is NOT the thing you'll want because it's a "kimono jacket" and won't overlap and besides, you would look really silly trying to tie a haori closed with a sash. Besides, the sleeves will be wrong anyway because men's haori will have the sleeves almost always fully sewn to the garment, not hanging.. unless it's a women's haori, but those are rarely of solid colors.
Oh, and you never ever wear haori under hakama. Just, no.
If you want I can dress up in kimono and provide you with haori photos from my own kimono collection to show that it won't work for what you're trying to achieve.

You won't want a montsuki because it's a formal kimono with kamon (family crests), neither a juban because it's an under-kimono, just like you said.

The thing is... the kimonos they wear in Bleach are pretty weird. I mentioned earlier that they seem to be some kind of ousode or kosode. These kind of kimono are pretty damn hard to find because nowadays you don't really wear them to my knowledge, they are like a predecessor kimono more or less. And yeah, the Bleach kimonos have armpit openings and the sleeves are open all the way on the side facing your body... pretty much like on women's kimonos. Men's kimono sleeves are almost fully attached to the body of the garment.

Unless you can't sew a Bleach-style kimono maybe you could try your luck at finding a black non-crested hitoe (unlined) men's kimono and then just modify the sleeves á la Bleach. Try to get a hitoe and not one with lining because if you get a lined kimono you'll probably have to unpick the lining too so you can convert the sleeves. (read: more work)
Oh, and just for your knowledge, black is considered like a formal color on kimonos so most black kimonos will have family crests on them, but, if you search long enough you will find some without.
I have a black non-crested (men's) kimono I use for cosplay.

If you want some dirt cheap authentic kimonos, give Shinei a try. (especially click and check those 3 white "Fabric" boxes up there)

PS. If you don't care super much about having a super accurate kimono I think a men's black non-crested kimono wouldn't look too off. Or if you can find a black women's iromuji (aka single color) kimono.. although I don't think so. lol

Best of luck!

PS. If you decide to just buy a men's kimono and fix the sleeves you won't need a sewing machine because kimono (especially vintage ones) are handsewn.

*~In progress~*

FRI ???
SAT ???
SUN ???

Last edited by Blood_Sword : 08-23-2012 at 01:44 PM.
Unread 08-24-2012, 12:25 PM   #8454
HelloJapan

Once again you were right, and I should have listened to you. I already placed a bid on Haori that I came across on ebay ($9 in total with shipping, worth a shot), but it won't do it. Guess will have to contact the ebay seller to cancel my bid .

I also came across a great tutorial for Shitagi + Kosode, (link : click)

I mean, it's not that great, but looks simple. I might wanna collect all the fabric, cut it in pieces as stated in the tutorial, and then explain to some local crafter how should it be sewn. This can't cost that much, can it? Just to connect a few pieces altogether.

I appreciate your support blood_sword, thanks for the offer of photos of you dressing up the kimono, but I got the picture in my head instead, after reading what you said.

Anyway, the con is in October (14th) and I have nearly 2 months now to get my top and hakama piece. I already have warajis (they were too small so had to be redone, but fine now ) and katana's on the way.
Unread 08-24-2012, 03:16 PM   #8455
Blood_Sword
Fabulous Boyfriend

9 dollars is so cheap, I'd buy it anyway and just wear it for the heck of it. Haori actually look cool even with "normal clothes".

*checks tutorial*
It's not super accurate (read: shoulder seams) but I think it'll be alright. You can give it a go. Heck, my shihakusho has shoulder seams too because it was the first cosplay piece I ever made and back then I hardly had any knowledge how genuine kimono were made.. I think I want to remake it someday, haha. If you choose to go by that tutorial I'd recommend to add some width to both sides of the front's lower parts (read: waist/hips down) to get it to close properly and stay closed/overlap all the way.

No problems man, I'm always glad to help.

You have quite some time to get everything done. I think if you choose to let someone else sew it for you maybe it is better if you just show them the tutorial so they can cut and get everything right (measurements etc) because, if they are a good sewer, they should know how to sew such a simple piece and make it just right for you.

*~In progress~*

FRI ???
SAT ???
SUN ???

Last edited by Blood_Sword : 08-24-2012 at 03:21 PM.
Unread 10-15-2012, 11:40 AM   #8456
Rangiku12
<3 Old School <3

Hey guys I need some advice on what fabric to make the school uniform skirt out of..

Working on
Tsunade (Naruto)
Mimmy (Hello Kitty)
Rangiku12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2012, 12:49 PM   #8457
benihime
Kimono Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangiku12 View Post
Hey guys I need some advice on what fabric to make the school uniform skirt out of..
cotton. cotton always takes pleats the best.

WORKING ON
Haruka (idolm@ster 2)

NEXT CONVENTIONS
A-kon in Dallas, TX

WEBSITE
DEVIANTART FACEBOOK
TUMBLR

benihime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2012, 04:42 AM   #8458
Rangiku12
<3 Old School <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by benihime View Post
cotton. cotton always takes pleats the best.
Thanks! like Twili? someone told me to make it out of Twili.

Working on
Tsunade (Naruto)
Mimmy (Hello Kitty)
Rangiku12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2012, 10:36 AM   #8459
Ludger03
Corpse Shell Wielder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangiku12 View Post
Thanks! like Twili? someone told me to make it out of Twili.
Twill falls under the "bottom weight"cottons so it should work. Poplin or stretch sateen. Rodeo could work as well. I would try checking them at a Joanns store.
Elsword Cosplays: Blade Master Raven ver 2.0 (81%) andIron Paladin Chung (21%)
Tales of Xillia 2- Victor Mel Mata (16%) & Jude Mathis (10%)
Ludger03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2012, 02:25 AM   #8460
VickyAmis
Banned

Come on!
VickyAmis is offline   Reply With Quote