Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Reply
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 11-13-2012, 08:38 PM   #1
AnnerBear
Registered User
 
AnnerBear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 97
Personally I'm Offended :(

So as I was checking out geeksaresexy I came across this...

http://www.geeksaresexy.net/2012/11/...-about-comics/


Am I the only Lady offended by this I mean I am sure there are some women out there that do this. I don't think its right to say that we female cosplayers know nothing of comic books and so on.

For me I choose Characters I know and love, not just oh she looks sexy I'm going to be her or so on,

and I personally am a huge Batman comic fan/anything batman. I even have one of the bat symbols tattooed on my neck would I get that just because I thought it would make me seem more of a nerd... NO I got it because I am a die hard fan.

Sorry about the mini rant but I have had a bad day and this really got to me

What are your opinions?
__________________
Kimi wa dare da? Boku wa Lambo! Boku wa dare da? Kimi wa Lambo!

Cosplays In Progress
Mine
Adult Nel (Bleach)
Lambo (Katekyō Hitman Reborn)
Blair (Soul Eater)
Harley Quinn (Batman)

Cal's
Ban Kai Itsygo (Ichigo)
Tsuna (Hitman Reborn)
Pokemon Trainer

My Etsy Shop
http://www.etsy.com/shop/TehBearsCrochets

My Shops Facebook (Currently doing a giveaway check it out)
https://www.facebook.com/Tehbearscrochets

My Skype
Kiisu719
AnnerBear is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Unread 11-13-2012, 08:39 PM   #2
BlondieSundae
Skanking Pickle
 
BlondieSundae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 10,182
Saw it on tumblr, it's a narrow minded penis wrinkle of a man being an ass wipe.

Ignore, ignore, ignore.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium Flower View Post
Once upon an evening dreary, while I lurked weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten posts,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a bitching,
As of some one gently pitching, bitching at my chamber door.
`'Tis JasonTerror,' I muttered, `bitching at my chamber door -
Only this, and nothing more.'
BlondieSundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2012, 08:53 PM   #3
fujyoshi
half elf flame haze
 
fujyoshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlondieSundae View Post
it's a narrow minded penis wrinkle of a man being an ass wipe.
this, and I don't even follow comics myself.
fujyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2012, 08:58 PM   #4
BlondieSundae
Skanking Pickle
 
BlondieSundae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 10,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by fujyoshi View Post
this, and I don't even follow comics myself.
Doesn't matter the penis wrinkle is basically saying we're all slutty mcwhore bags for cosplaying because we just want to slut up the place and prey on innocent nerd guys.... it doesn't MATTER what we like, we can't be a girl and a nerd.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium Flower View Post
Once upon an evening dreary, while I lurked weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten posts,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a bitching,
As of some one gently pitching, bitching at my chamber door.
`'Tis JasonTerror,' I muttered, `bitching at my chamber door -
Only this, and nothing more.'
BlondieSundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2012, 09:12 PM   #5
sam vimes
A real live wire
 
sam vimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 10,174
My opinion, as a man, is that he can't write for shit.

As for his follow-up:

1) "Just one guy's opinion."
2) "You all went too far."
3) "I'm just blunt."
4) "I'm not a sexist."
5) Cites female relatives.

Yep, five across -- we have a B-I-N-G-O!
__________________
Raising respectable and dignified ferrets since 2009.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
SV is the most awesome man I know that I'm not married to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullbleed View Post
If this weren't tje internet id hug all of you guys right now.
Especishillly you sam.
Like a woodpecker with a headache...
sam vimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2012, 09:35 PM   #6
PrincessKaori87
Caffeine addict
 
PrincessKaori87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,467
The guy just needs to disappear off the face of the Earth. Save us all some trouble.
__________________
"The time has come," the Walrus said, "to talk of many things. Of ships, and shoes, and ceiling wax. Of cabbages and kings. And why the sea is boiling hot and whether pigs have wings."

Me on Twitter
Me on deviantART
Me on Facebook
PrincessKaori87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2012, 11:38 PM   #7
toshirua3846384
take your fail and leave
 
toshirua3846384's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 615
Well i have to say this is a reason why i don't label my self as a gamer/comic nerd/enthusiast anymore. And its all because of territorial F.U.B.A.R'd Chud looking mofo's like this guy.

But it doesn't matter.

I like video games and im great at playing them
I like, collect, read comics and manga and
I cosplay because i like too and when i do cosplay its not meant for attention not unless im trying to get some type of award. And even so the attention should be for craftsmanship and not because of how attractive i may be.

Also his latter response couldn't be more pitiful. My heart really does bleed purple panther piss for that guy's loospology.
__________________
Homer: Hello, my name is Mr. Burns. I believe you have a letter for me
Postman: All right Mr. Burns what's your first name
Homer: I don't know....

-->( v O x O)O"
toshirua3846384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2012, 12:49 AM   #8
ThakYuki
Kittysaurus Rex!
 
ThakYuki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,418
This isn't the first time stuff like this has shown up, and it definitely won't be the last. -.- Guess this guy's only browsed the interwebs from his mother's basement, jerking off to girls in their "revealing" outfits.
__________________
Every time I open the fridge, the hole in my jello glares at me.

Thank you for completely removing my signature without emailing me that it was too long.
ThakYuki is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2012, 07:56 AM   #9
Kagomekai
Registered User
 
Kagomekai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 274
How did this man even get married with an attitude like this? He says he's not sexist yet by saying woman can't know anything about comics purely by our gender is being sexist. Whatever I hope his daughters grow up to be cosplayers that know their fandoms just to shut this guy up so he can see how wrong he was.
__________________
Cosplays for 2014
Ankh (Fem! Human version)
Gokai Blue/Female Super Megaforce blue
Gajinka Gatomon (humanoid)
Ymir from SNK
Kagomekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2012, 08:16 AM   #10
Libis
Registered User
 
Libis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 357
Yeah, Batman was my favorite character for a long time as a little girl, and I still love watching the Animated Series, playing the Arkham games, and reading some of the comics. I care about comics and have read them and watched their shows and movies since I was small. Don't bash me because I'm pretty/female/etc AND into these things. I DO NOT go to cons to pick up men (though honestly, anyone whining like this is a boy and not a man.) I have a man who I love and who I cosplay with. I did not meet him at a con, I met him at school as a teenager (it's been 7 years and now we're both in college.) He is my best friend and we love our nerdy pastimes of video games, comics, movies, anime, etc. Cosplay is just one more way for us to be nerdy together. If anyone said something like this to my face, my man would be right behind me growling back at them.

What a closed-minded ass to say something like this. This is just another guy blaming his bad behavior on women. You can see it historically: women often get the blame for bad behavior on the more immature guys' parts.

By the way, though I have done sexier cosplays like Catwoman, I have also dressed up as Vergil from Devil May Cry. Despite the fact that I was not sexily-clad, I got more negative male attention dressed as a man than I ever have in a female cosplay--revealing or not. There was one guy who was insistent that he could beat my boyfriend in a fight and "win" me. This did not occur due to revealing costume (Only my face and fingertips were exposed!,) but rather due to a pig-like mind-set on they guy's part.

Last edited by Libis : 11-14-2012 at 08:26 AM.
Libis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2012, 08:46 AM   #11
Libis
Registered User
 
Libis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 357
http://geek-news.mtv.com/2012/11/13/...y-controversy/

Having read a little more of his rant, not only is this looking down on us ladies, but it also is honestly an insult to the comic-book and gamer guys that I know.

" a LOT of average Comic Book Fans who either RARELY speak to, or NEVER speak to girls. Some Virgins, ALL unconfident when it comes to girls, and the ONE thing they all have in common? The are being preyed on by YOU."

All unconfident, huh? You haven't met my man, you Jack-ass. Honestly, I have only met a handfull of nerdy guys like this. The best of both male and female nerds are very different from what this man sees. Obviously he looks down on those who purchase his comics pretty badly. What a jerk.
Libis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2012, 08:48 AM   #12
TheAnarCHris
Overrated
 
TheAnarCHris's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 13,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThakYuki View Post
This isn't the first time stuff like this has shown up, and it definitely won't be the last. -.- Guess this guy's only browsed the interwebs from his mother's basement, jerking off to girls in their "revealing" outfits.
<_< Good job of actually reading the article. Cool sterotypes bro, don't forget to call him a virgin.

On-topic, this one hurts. I actually like Tony Harris' art a bunch, as his work on "Ex Machina" is pretty great. I'm sure there's a reason for this outburst, but man, give us some insight if you want people to side with you. I disagree with him 100% for the record. But man, shit sucks when people who's work you like is tainted by douchebaggery actions.

If there's any good from this event, it's that a TON of comic creators spoke out about this post, both male and female. Harris' stance is definetly not the norm amongst creators: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/11/...reciation-day/

Also eff yeah Gail Simone, you are the best at times.
__________________
Stalk me on twitter! @theanarchris, THEN IMMEDIATELY REGRET YOUR DECISION!

"I think that a huge problem is people who read comics and don't understand the point of superheroes, which is to be the best version of yourself. You love Captain America? Well, you know what Captain America would never do? Go online anonymously and shit on a girl for having an opinion." -Brian Michael Bendis

Last edited by TheAnarCHris : 11-14-2012 at 08:57 AM.
TheAnarCHris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2012, 08:50 AM   #13
penny_dreadful
la ctholita
 
penny_dreadful's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 11,073
I was talking to Sam about this last night, and I asked-- why do men continue to do this? What is it about women at conventions/video game tournaments/anywhere that men find so threatening and upsetting?

And he just said, "it's a boy's club and now there are girls in it."

Really I don't think any of us should have to defend our "nerd cred", whatever that is and whatever it's worth, I don't think we should all have to state how many years we've been reading comics or why we choose to wear a certain costume or what our craftsmanship credentials are. Not only because, yo, we just shouldn't have to, but because as far as these human stains are concerned, it doesn't matter anyway.

Your parents could have papered your nursery with classic issues of X-Men and read you Sandman instead of Hop on Pop. You could be a comic writer who's received multiple Eisner awards. You could have graduated FIT head of the class. You could have gotten a job in game development after winning multiple top-tier VG tourneys. Your credentials don't matter to them. All they see is boobs in their territory, boobs they have no control over. That's all we are to them, and all they can do is keep coming up with BS reasons we don't belong there to try and intimidate us and push us out. Any attempt to justify our presence only infuriates them further. Let's just keep on with our bad selves and let these penis wrinkles be below our notice.
__________________
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
penny_dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2012, 08:59 AM   #14
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad
 
The Hag's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 10,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by penny_dreadful View Post
All they see is boobs in their territory,
Unless you contort your spine so that they can see ass in their territory at the same time.

Yeah, my opinion is that I really don't give a rat's ass about this guy's opinon. Rock on, cosplayers.
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2012, 09:01 AM   #15
penny_dreadful
la ctholita
 
penny_dreadful's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 11,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
Unless you contort your spine so that they can see ass in their territory at the same time.
OH HO HO.

I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE.

Well played.
__________________
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
penny_dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:18 PM.


Copyright 2002-2013 Cosplay.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
All comments and posts in our forums are the opinion of the respective poster.