Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Original Designs

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.43 average.
Unread 08-27-2012, 10:29 AM   #16
touchmon
Make All The Things!

Well I haven't done any OCs yet but I'm in the planning of making one.

What inspires your costumes? Do you base them on a series or fandom, or are they completely your own creation?

My designs are based on characters in the various stories I write which have their own universes and such. Designing the outfits they wear is the hard part as my characters usually tend to change clothing on a regular basis with only keeping a few pieces similar between them.

Do you give your characters a backstory, or come up with "in-character" explanations for parts of the costume?

Yup. I tend to make sure all characters have a long, thought out back story that explains the reasons they are the way they are.

Overall, why do you do it? Do you like the freedom of original characters/designs? Do you like the challenge of coming up with a design from scratch, or do you find it more personal than strict recreation?

I also agree with shinseikakumei with it being personal. One of my characters, I had for over thirteen years now and she went through major developments over the years. I'm finally starting to seriously think about cosplaying her now that I have more skills since her sword is complicated.

~DA~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cure~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

touchmon is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-11-2012, 11:37 PM   #17
Jordan0012
Cosplayer

I live creating original designs from characters. My first cosplay was an original twist to spider-man. I call it Urban Scarlet Spider. It's scarlet spider's shirt with an urban style regular Spider-Man mask that I made myself.

To ur questions:
What inspired me was the idea of creating my own versions of characters that maybe no ones seen before.

There's really no backstory unless its a character that calls for one.

I enjoy it all because I love being original and not completely copying someone else's work.

Thanks for post! I enjoyed my stay here
Jordan0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2012, 09:44 AM   #18
Aeviking
Fantasy worlds explorer

I'm making one for a class project next month. I would like to be a character designer, so I try to practice with my own characters of the books I write, and now is a character based on the last Nightwish disc: Imaginaerum. I'm designing her by now, but she's going to be a creature who can move around the two fantasy worlds described in the songs. I've been designing my own characters and clothes since five years ago, and I would relly like to see my designs coming to live.

Last edited by Aeviking : 12-03-2012 at 10:25 AM.
Aeviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2012, 09:56 AM   #19
CautiousAmber

Oh, I'm so glad someone made a thread like this! I LOVE LOVE LOVE seeing and reading about other people's original cosplays!

1- Inspiration.
As a Studio Art/Illustration major whose always had a passion for writing and storytelling, I draw and write my own web comics/graphic novels. Works like Final Fantasy, Lord of the Rings, and Avatar: The Last Airbender have been huge influences in both the kinds of stories I want to tell and the design of fictional worlds/characters. Developing stories and characters is my absolute favorite thing to do, and I invest just about every part of myself into their creation. The realization that I could use cosplay along side art and writing as another way to express these characters was a great moment for me.

2- backstory
Considering I cosplay characters from my fully developed stories, of course there is tons of existing backstory! At the moment I'm working on putting together a cosplay for one of my oldest OC's Akashi, and it's so exciting to be able to know exactly what sort of clothing he'd wear or what props I need to bring to complete the cosplay. It's also much easier to do 'In Character' things in photos and such, because I don't have to worry about being OOC. I know everything that makes this guy tick!

3- why?
Cosplaying OC's lets me give them another form besides artwork and writing. One that's tangible and easily engaged in by other people! It's a little intimidating because it's so much more personal than dressing up as someone else's character, but it's also a lot more gratifying.
- Pearl (Steven Universe)
- Fluttershy

2014 Events: Kawa Kon, Nakakon, Anime Central, Cosplacon,ACE, Motaku, Nebraskon

tumblr / deviantart
CautiousAmber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2012, 09:57 AM   #20
CautiousAmber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeviking View Post
I'm making one for a class project next month. I would like to be a character designer, so I try to practice with my own characters of the books I write, and know is a character based on the last Nightwish disc: Imaginaerum. I'm designing her by now, but she's going to be a creature who can move around the two fantasy worlds described in the songs. I've been designing my own characters and clothes since five years ago, and I would relly like to see my designs coming to live.
Ooh, what class are you taking that gives you the chance to do this? Sounds exciting!
- Fluttershy

tumblr / deviantart
Unread 12-03-2012, 10:24 AM   #21
Aeviking
Fantasy worlds explorer

It's called Design Projects. We'd already made two posters for expositions and for the Medicine department, two investigations (mine where for LEGO Lord of the Rings and IKEA) and a packaging design. The next exercises are a graphic diary, a typography drawing based on Sagmeister's works and a replica of a famous chair. Thanks for your interest!
Unread 12-06-2012, 08:11 PM   #22
CautiousAmber

Wow, thanks such a diverse bunch of projects! That graphic diary sounds particularly cool. ^^
- Fluttershy

tumblr / deviantart
Unread 01-25-2013, 07:47 PM   #23
Shigham
ShighamTheHobbit

1. Inspiration: Truely one of my favorite things (even thoughI do not play it) is World of Warcraft. I always wanted to do a cosplay a character from it but all the girls outfits are showy for the most part to I designed my own, still with it's own edge but much less showy. It will be an Elf with long raspberry colored hair the theme is gold, black, and the raspberry/pink like color. Also credit to all the wonderful artists on DA and they're amazing elf designs <3 It's either my next or the one after the next in line for being made.

2. I like to make up a backstory because it creates a better set of what colors your cosplay should be made around, whether it's more of a elegant costume or a warrior type outfit. Truely I find it difficult to not have one.

3. It's fun to design your own characters. The freedon of doing what you want and not having to follow a picture makes for simpler times. It's a fun challenge to make your own costume and make up all the details yourself without someone pointing out little things that you need to add or do. You can just have freedom and make a work of art.
Unread 01-28-2013, 06:53 PM   #24
Sarcasm-hime
bead addict

Mostly it's visual; I get inspired by a particular fabric or material, and then extrapolate from there. A current project was inspired by a favourite gemstone.

I like the freedom of coming up with things that I know will look good on me, and designing specifically to my own taste.

The International Costuming Convention is returning to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Shopping, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels and Classes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitions, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, and so much more!

the den of sarcasm - my website
Magpie Creations - jewellery and wa-loli accessories
Sarcasm-hime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2013, 03:26 PM   #25
Kasumi Ogaku
Musically inclined

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanita View Post
Who here likes to do original character cosplays?

To those who do, here's some questions, feel free to describe your own creations!

What inspires your costumes? Do you base them on a series or fandom, or are they completely your own creation?

Do you give your characters a backstory, or come up with "in-character" explanations for parts of the costume?

Overall, why do you do it? Do you like the freedom of original characters/designs? Do you like the challenge of coming up with a design from scratch, or do you find it more personal than strict recreation?
I have a OC biased off of the Kingdom Hearts series. It came around because my friend was bored and asked me to design an original key-blade. After I finished he decided to make it for me!

As for backstory, I usually come up with it on the spot because I never want to prepare. Also, Being the creative person I am, It's easy for me to do. Also, since my creativity is so rampant, Creating OC's also help me let some of it out!
Kasumi Ogaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2013, 11:57 AM   #26
Diverselove

I do OC cosplays based on ideas I have running through my head about certain characters I want to create in an easy way. I don't have much skill or money right now to create some of the intricate characters that I want to do, so I feel it's best for me to start off with something I think I can handle I guess.
Diverselove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2013, 08:07 PM   #27
Mae-Gwyn
Mae-Gwyn

So far I have only made original designs for two Silmarillion characters that don't really have a description. I made Vana and Este, intending them to be original designs but decided to name the costumes after the two Valier. I will be making a third Silmarillion inspired costume (Nessa) this coming summer. I do have a couple of characters that I would like to create costumes for in the future. I actually have designs for them but I haven't had the time to make them.

Inspiration: I get a lot of my inspiration from books, films and my own stories that I like to write. One of my original characters that I would like to create one day is actually inspired by Madoka but with a steampunk twist. I love to mesh different genres together to get a really original look. Another one that I want to create is inspired by the wee folk of Ireland. Needless to say I would need a lot of fake leaves :P

Back story: Most of my characters have a back story. It's part of the fun in creating a character! Sometimes my characters meld and evolve into new and different characters in the process, thus creating new and different back stories.

Why: I'm always thinking of new costume designs and most of them fit descriptions for my characters in my stories. I just love how I can get creative. I don't like doing the same thing as everybody else.
Unread 04-21-2013, 02:04 PM   #28
Sokmunki
Snow Guardian

Inspiration: I'm an artist... I can grab inspiration from anywhere. But I mostly get my characters from original novels I write...
Backstory: well, most of my original cosplay characters are based on characters from my stories, so the stories are sort of like their whole backstory
Why: I love to make costumes and stuff, and also creating a whole new person
Sokmunki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2013, 12:23 AM   #29
Animemom89

What inspires your costumes? Do you base them on a series or fandom, or are they completely your own creation? I am an artist, costume designer, and writer and I just sometimes want to bring my characters/ costume ideas to life.

Do you give your characters a backstory, or come up with "in-character" explanations for parts of the costume? It really depends on if I use my own characters that I make up.

Overall, why do you do it? I'm tired of everyone cosplaying the same thing over and over again. I think people should change it up a little bit and just try to make something original. It doesn't matter if their own character is themed after their favorite anime or just their own creation. Just stop doing the same thing over and over again!!! Nothing going to change! The costumes will always be the same no matter what.
Animemom89 is offline   Reply With Quote