Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Unread 11-14-2012, 12:34 PM   #31
eebee

Whaaaat. I did not know this was a thing. I think I was happier when I did not know this was a thing. Now I'm just gonna be pissed anytime I see any of Harris's work. >.>

I wish you didn't have a point about people out there validating his idiotic opinions.

Chosen, In Planning:
Carmelita Fox (with Sly Cooper), Riza Hawkeye (with Roy Mustang), Emma Frost (with Namor, Phoenix Five editions)

Under Construction:
Ravager, Reina Roja (with Gabriel Santiago)
eebee is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-14-2012, 12:48 PM   #32
AnnerBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
Professionally, he's retarded. Why would you alienate so many potential fans and customers?
That was my second thought after reading it.. and then I linked it to my Hubby

You would think that someone that depends on nerds for an income would keep something like this to himself

Cosplays In Progress
Mine
Adult Nel (Bleach)
Lambo (Katekyō Hitman Reborn)
Blair (Soul Eater)
Harley Quinn (Batman)

Cal's
Ban Kai Itsygo (Ichigo)
Tsuna (Hitman Reborn)
Pokemon Trainer

My Etsy Shop
http://www.etsy.com/shop/TehBearsCrochets

My Shops Facebook (Currently doing a giveaway check it out)
https://www.facebook.com/Tehbearscrochets

My Skype
Kiisu719
AnnerBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2012, 12:54 PM   #33
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny_dreadful View Post
I'm not saying there's a dearth of douchebags in the world, but the fact that people are pushing back and saying, "yo, this is wrong and we don't like it" in larger, louder numbers gives me hope.
This. Also let's drop the "Dudebros" label for those who agree with Harris. There were no less than 3 girls on my twitter feed alone who were like "Yeah, screw fake nerds" in response to Harris' post. Stupidity is not limited to a gender and "idiots" is a perfecte label.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eebee View Post
Whaaaat. I did not know this was a thing. I think I was happier when I did not know this was a thing. Now I'm just gonna be pissed anytime I see any of Harris's work. >.>
As someone who owns some of Harris' work, I know those feels lady-bro.

"I think that a huge problem is people who read comics and don't understand the point of superheroes, which is to be the best version of yourself. You love Captain America? Well, you know what Captain America would never do? Go online anonymously and shit on a girl for having an opinion." -Brian Michael Bendis
TheAnarCHris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2012, 01:05 PM   #34
Lithium Flower
Handphones

For the record when I say 'dudebros' I am meaning it to include women, but that's probably not so obvious when sticking two male words together. When I say 'dudebros' I am meaning both the male 'bro' mentality and the female extension of the 'bros', like the ladies you mentioned on your feed.

For me 'dudebro' has no gender and is just a snarky phrase to cover the mentality as a whole. But that's probably not so clear, sorry for the misunderstanding.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2012, 01:07 PM   #35
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium Flower View Post
But on the other side, when you have people like this guy who are so set in their opinions no amount of 'good guys' coming out and speaking up will really change that. For every 10 folks who speak out against what was said and are rational well spoken individuals there's going to be a bunch of dudebro's who pat the guy on the back and tell him how he's totally on the money and girls are just skanks. Which voice do you think he'll listen to? (that isn't meant to be sarcastic) My bet is on the dudebro's who share his opinion and are not offering any dissent.
Well, yeah, which is why I said there's no point in any of us trying to justify ourselves. It's not going to change the opinions of the penis wrinkles. Of course, talking with your wallet helps, too. Not buying Harris's work, or if you're lucky enough to be in the position, not hiring Harris for your projects, hurts him a lot more than complaining about it on the internet is ever going to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnarCHris View Post
This. Also let's drop the "Dudebros" label for those who agree with Harris. There were no less than 3 girls on my twitter feed alone who were like "Yeah, screw fake nerds" in response to Harris' post. Stupidity is not limited to a gender and "idiots" is a perfecte label.
I try to avoid gendered insults in general (although "penis wrinkle" is just too funny to pass up), but yes, there are plenty of women who do agree with these warped viewpoints. Harris's wife is probably one of them.
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
penny_dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2012, 01:19 PM   #36
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium Flower View Post
For me 'dudebro' has no gender and is just a snarky phrase to cover the mentality as a whole. But that's probably not so clear, sorry for the misunderstanding.
NP! I'm with PD though "Penis Wrinkles" is also a fine label.

"I think that a huge problem is people who read comics and don't understand the point of superheroes, which is to be the best version of yourself. You love Captain America? Well, you know what Captain America would never do? Go online anonymously and shit on a girl for having an opinion." -Brian Michael Bendis
Unread 11-14-2012, 01:21 PM   #37
AnnerBear

So I decided to go look at the source of the statement his facebook to see if maybe it was a mix up and well to try to give him the benefit of a doubt that maybe these other pages left things out just to make it seem that much worse and what I found was everything that was said else where was right there word for word..

so I started reading the comments and came across this one

Tony Effing Harris So heres my follow up commentary. Tried to "engage" my detractors on Twitter. Big mistake. Not gonna backpeddle. Not one step. I tried to be clear at the beginning by saying I know there are legit Cosplayers who know the material and love it. So if you wanna gloss over that and accuse my statements as being all inclusive of Cosplay, then blow me. See, this is why I posted this HERE, on MY page. You dont like it? Leave. Dont threaten to stop buying my work, because Im sure most of you who threw that gauntlet down, never did to begin with. Good riddance. Hey all you self righteous fuck-faces out there who are spewing even MORE hatred at me, than you accused me of spewing. pfffft. Really, thats how you come at me? Once you have moved on to hate on someone else....Good Riddance. But the one thing I HAVE to address is the use of the word MISOGYNY. So I am a Misogynist? Why? Because I frown upon Posers who are sad, needy fakers who use up all my air at Cons? Sorry, while you Cos"Play" Im actually at work. Thats my office. Fuck you. I actually dont hate women, I dont fear them either. Nor do I mistrust them. I do not portray or Objectify half naked women in my work. I never have. I have always been VERY vocal about my dislike of that practice, and that my view is and has been that T&A in comics is a Pox. If you wanna come at me with accusations of Misogyny and sexism, youll be wrong. I think there are several Hundred "PRos" I could rattle off that are doing a fine job of perpetuating that crap without ANY help from me. Its not helping to further our industry. Hey haters, Im not sad, lonely, stupid, uneducated, gay, nor do I wear Assess for a Hat. Im not a Sexist, and have been very vocal about the fact that its a GOOD thing to see so many female fans at shows, and I treat them with the same kindness and respect as I do ANY male fan I meet. I guess the one mistake I made in my original post was that I excluded Men. Let me rectify that...... SOME of you MEN, are as bad as SOME of the Women Cosplayers, I talked about earlier. There. Oh and to all of you guys who are my friends, and pros who I work with, dont go and try and defend me or anything I wrote. Youll just get shit on. Thanks though. And lastly, Bleeding Cool, and Rich Johnston are Shithead, scumbags, and this isnt the first time his camp has come after me. Fuck you Rich.
Yesterday at 1:29pm ∑ Edited ∑ 12

First off this " I tried to be clear at the beginning by saying I know there are legit Cosplayers who know the material and love it. So if you wanna gloss over that and accuse my statements as being all inclusive of Cosplay, then blow me."
I even went back and reread the post that started this and I see no mention of him saying anything like this

Second: "See, this is why I posted this HERE, on MY page. You dont like it? Leave."

Did he seriously not expect people to get upset, if he doesn't like the hate and heat that he is getting from this he shouldn't have posted it publicly.

as for the rest of it I just don't know anymore not to mention he continues on to go after male cosplayers >.>

Cosplays In Progress
Mine
Adult Nel (Bleach)
Lambo (Katekyō Hitman Reborn)
Blair (Soul Eater)
Harley Quinn (Batman)

Cal's
Ban Kai Itsygo (Ichigo)
Tsuna (Hitman Reborn)
Pokemon Trainer

My Etsy Shop
http://www.etsy.com/shop/TehBearsCrochets

My Shops Facebook (Currently doing a giveaway check it out)
https://www.facebook.com/Tehbearscrochets

My Skype
Kiisu719
AnnerBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2012, 01:25 PM   #38
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Quote:
Harris's wife is probably one of them.
That's kind of super depressing to think about.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○

Unread 11-14-2012, 01:40 PM   #39
sam vimes
A real live wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnerBear View Post
So I decided to go look at the source of the statement his facebook to see if maybe it was a mix up and well to try to give him the benefit of a doubt that maybe these other pages left things out just to make it seem that much worse and what I found was everything that was said else where was right there word for word..

Tony Effing Harris So heres my follow up commentary. Tried to "engage" my detractors on Twitter. Big mistake. Not gonna backpeddle. Not one step. I tried to be clear at the beginning by saying I know there are legit Cosplayers who know the material and love it. So if you wanna gloss over that and accuse my statements as being all inclusive of Cosplay, then blow me. See, this is why I posted this HERE, on MY page. You dont like it? Leave. Dont threaten to stop buying my work, because Im sure most of you who threw that gauntlet down, never did to begin with. Good riddance. Hey all you self righteous fuck-faces out there who are spewing even MORE hatred at me, than you accused me of spewing. pfffft. Really, thats how you come at me? Once you have moved on to hate on someone else....Good Riddance. But the one thing I HAVE to address is the use of the word MISOGYNY. So I am a Misogynist? Why? Because I frown upon Posers who are sad, needy fakers who use up all my air at Cons? Sorry, while you Cos"Play" Im actually at work. Thats my office. Fuck you. I actually dont hate women, I dont fear them either. Nor do I mistrust them. I do not portray or Objectify half naked women in my work. I never have. I have always been VERY vocal about my dislike of that practice, and that my view is and has been that T&A in comics is a Pox. If you wanna come at me with accusations of Misogyny and sexism, youll be wrong. I think there are several Hundred "PRos" I could rattle off that are doing a fine job of perpetuating that crap without ANY help from me. Its not helping to further our industry. Hey haters, Im not sad, lonely, stupid, uneducated, gay, nor do I wear Assess for a Hat. Im not a Sexist, and have been very vocal about the fact that its a GOOD thing to see so many female fans at shows, and I treat them with the same kindness and respect as I do ANY male fan I meet. I guess the one mistake I made in my original post was that I excluded Men. Let me rectify that...... SOME of you MEN, are as bad as SOME of the Women Cosplayers, I talked about earlier. There. Oh and to all of you guys who are my friends, and pros who I work with, dont go and try and defend me or anything I wrote. Youll just get shit on. Thanks though. And lastly, Bleeding Cool, and Rich Johnston are Shithead, scumbags, and this isnt the first time his camp has come after me. Fuck you Rich.

First off this " I tried to be clear at the beginning by saying I know there are legit Cosplayers who know the material and love it. So if you wanna gloss over that and accuse my statements as being all inclusive of Cosplay, then blow me."
I even went back and reread the post that started this and I see no mention of him saying anything like this

Second: "See, this is why I posted this HERE, on MY page. You dont like it? Leave."

Did he seriously not expect people to get upset, if he doesn't like the hate and heat that he is getting from this he shouldn't have posted it publicly.

as for the rest of it I just don't know anymore not to mention he continues on to go after male cosplayers >.>
I repeat: this man writes for a living?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
SV is the most awesome man I know that I'm not married to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullbleed View Post
If this weren't tje internet id hug all of you guys right now.
Especishillly you sam.
Like a woodpecker with a headache...
sam vimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2012, 02:09 PM   #40
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnerBear View Post

[color="DarkSlateBlue"]I even went back and reread the post that started this and I see no mention of him saying anything like this[/COLOR
I'm fairly sure Harris is referring to the line where he says he knows girls who reads comics and cosplay. It's like 2 or 3 sentences in. I'm not saying this makes his point valid or anything, but he did say something along the lines, amongst much bullshit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
I repeat: this man writes for a living?
No, he draws.

Unread 11-14-2012, 02:19 PM   #41
MaiSheri
Eternal Procrastinator

Quote:
As he said, "we are Legion", or whatever. He honestly, truly thinks that there are enough people who agree with him that he does not have to face any real life consequences for his reprehensible comments.
While there's support for cosplayers and female nerds/geeks/fans all over the internet because of this, most of the comments on his original FB post (at least when I read it) were in support. The people responding directly to him on the original source probably mean more to him than all the rest of us yahoos out there. And what I found even more disappointing was that some of these (men) were making the move from saying that "fake" cosplayers should be called-out, to saying that cosplay doesn't belong at conventions at all and it decreases their sales, since we take up space/tickets that someone who actually likes comics could be using. Because cosplayers never actually buy anything. And of course, we always stand in front of their tables and literally block their business. >_>

I've seen the "poseur nerd" rants before, but never seen that kind of hate on for some fancy clothes.
Unread 11-14-2012, 02:26 PM   #42
Lithium Flower
Handphones

It's like that clubhouse from the Little Rascals.

Only with comics.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○

Unread 11-14-2012, 02:30 PM   #43
Bm-Atticus
Cumberpunch Cosplay!

Unfortunately whatever point that he had went up in smoke when he mistook the term 'bluntness' for 'blanketing statement about a good portion of comic book fans'.

There are girls who will dress up as a character they don't have any knowledge of aside from their looks. Now I will ask why does this bother you so much? Because they thrive on the attention being given to them from poor, innocent nerdy boys and preying on them? Oh please. He makes it sound like men loose control over themselves whenever they see a pretty girl. Way to insult your own gender, man.

Now, I'm going to do something that Mister Harris here failed to do. Provide examples of his findings.

I have a friend who is in shape and very pretty. At AX she dressed up as Lady Deadpool. Whenever someone would shout out "Look it's Female/girl Deadpool" she would usually correct them. She talked my ear off about Deadpool Corps and when she dressed up as Silk Spectre II we had a few intense conversations about Watchmen both the movie and comic and the Before Watchmen series often talking circles around the men we were around.

I've also met some girls who barely know the name of the character they were cosplaying as. They just dressed up as that person because they... GASP! Like dressing sexy!

But again I ask, what's wrong with that? I'd like to think we live in a society where we can express ourselves without getting shat on by each other.

Who's it hurting? The girl dressing up? Nope, whatever her reasons were for dressing up I'm sure she's probably having a blast. The men who are now 'objectifying' her? I don't think you're giving the men enough credit. If they want to take picture of 'hot' girls and the girl let's them, hey, that's their business. Other women? Well, I can't speak for everything but it doesn't really bother me. Want to know why?

You can't tell if a girl is a 'true' fan or not just by looking at her.

So since he wasn't able to provide examples that he personally experienced, it sounds like he sees these 'hot' cosplayers at cons and just assumes they don't know anything about this whole 'comic book thing' that seems to be so popular these days.
Bm-Atticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2012, 02:32 PM   #44
Jia Jem
replicant
Rock Star Admin

This guy glosses over "cosplayers who like comics too" as the minority, where the fact is, they are not.

But he is not a cosplayer. So I wouldn't expect him to know this.
Unread 11-14-2012, 02:47 PM   #45
Kagomekai

I've heard Harris uses real people when he draws because he needs them for reference, maybe this whole fiasco will discourage people to pose for him to draw comic characters. Would be a good way to hinder him for a bit.
Gajinka Gatomon (humanoid)
Ymir from SNK
Kagomekai is offline   Reply With Quote