Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > TV/Movie/Musical (live action)

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 93 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 11-11-2012, 01:30 PM   #226
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlette View Post
Here's some progress on Rumple. I think I'm getting carpel tunnel from setting the eyelets. Only about 100 more to go! ;___;

That is looking fantastic. And I sympathize on the eyelets. I make a lot of corset and hand-set all the two part grommets and it can take forever and kill your hands. But it does allow me to hammer out some aggression.
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-11-2012, 06:13 PM   #227
Arlette
Let it Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehdia View Post
That is looking fantastic. And I sympathize on the eyelets. I make a lot of corset and hand-set all the two part grommets and it can take forever and kill your hands. But it does allow me to hammer out some aggression.
Yeah I did grommets in leather once (well, my friend was doing it and I was helping) and I was like...nope. Never again! I don't even have the upper body strength!

Anyway, about 7 hours of work on this thing is done. I had nothing to do today other than wait for the new episode, so...

Please check out http://www.facebook.com/dualwieldcosplay for more updates, or follow me on Tumblr at http://arlettecosplay.tumblr.com!
Arlette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2012, 09:10 PM   #228
Celiaskyleaf
Skyleaf Creations

Quote:
Here's some progress on Rumple. I think I'm getting carpel tunnel from setting the eyelets. Only about 100 more to go! ;___;

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah I did grommets in leather once (well, my friend was doing it and I was helping) and I was like...nope. Never again! I don't even have the upper body strength!

Anyway, about 7 hours of work on this thing is done. I had nothing to do today other than wait for the new episode, so...

you guys need to get one of these Eyelet Tool . I got mine at Michaels and it worked great on setting grommets into leather and even my parts of my corset but for the lacing of corsets I cheat and use this Lacing Tape that's the how to page, and here is the to buy page Eyelet/grommet/lacing tape to buy works like a charm and save tons of time and it can be dyed

Anime North 2013
Friday: Me: Undertaker, Wonderland Version-Black Butler, Leslie: Lizzy, Black Butler
Saturday: Me: Farfarello (Straight Jacket)- Weiss Kreuz, Leslie: Neu - Weiss Kreuz
Sunday : Me: C.C.,Past Life Dress - Code Geass, Leslie: Nunnally - Pink Ball Gown - Code Geass
Celiaskyleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2012, 10:30 PM   #229
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

I actually kind of enjoy setting my grommets by hand. I used to use a pair of setting pliers when I only did eyelets, but now with the two piece grommets I use I have a mallet and setting piece that make it really easy. A few hits and bam, it's in. I want to invest in an industrial setter, but man are they expensive.

But Arlette, the Rumple costume is looking great so far.
Unread 11-12-2012, 09:07 PM   #230
Rexluna
Morrigan Disapproves

Yay! I'm glad there's a thread for this!

Everyone's stuff looks great so far (I didn't have time to go through all 16 pages but what I did see was great!)

I'm working on a Red costume, her version from Season 1. I found the freaking perfect (nearly) fabric. I got the wrong hook things for the corset but I really like them anyway.

But seriously, what the heck is happening with her hood? After seeing the new episode, I noticed her hood has this random details that I couldn't see before. First, I noticed that apparently, the hood has a strip at the edge instead of just being one piece. And it has arm holes? And then it looks completely different here. This picture too, is different. What the heck? How many different versions of this "one of a kind" hood do they freaking have?! So frustrating...
Unread 11-13-2012, 09:00 AM   #231
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

I usually interface and layer the crap out of the eyelet/grommet area I'm setting. I'm do my setting by hand as well with a form or some times just on a block of wood and a hammer. The eyelet-setter looks nice though.

My Red Queen, Knginku and Yuriruka has needed the large eyelets for the obi and bodice, the most time consuming thing was cutting the starter holes. lol

As for Red they like to make doubles for stunts and close ups, there might have been an issue with the original one being damaged and not finding the fabric to match it perfectly again. The key thing is that her hood is tone on tone red pattern fabric.

Regina..... I hate not finding that fabric online. It's going to be hard sourcing anything like it the Toronto Fabric area. I'm never had luck finding brocades there.

FanEXPO
Wearing random Arda Wigs.
Madeline Hatter ~ Ever After High (Sat)

Unplugged Expo

Future cosplays/cons:
Anime North, (maybe) Otakuthon, FanEXPO '15
Nehelenia
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup revies!

Win a Ticket to FanExpo!

Last edited by Ani_BEE : 11-13-2012 at 09:58 AM.
Ani_BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2012, 08:40 PM   #232
Moofingham
Randomosity at 88mHz

@Arlette. Bravo! That looks superb!

I enjoy the hammering aspect of grommets but mine always end up so rough on the inside. No idea what I'm doing wrong. Would eyelet pliers help with that?

@Rexluna. Welcome to the thread of Red. And yes, her cloak seems to change. I think last weeks episode was the first time we got a daylight shot of the lower hem of her cloak. And she has a strip of plain fabric followed by another patterned piece, on that one, which I remember seeing in the red-handed episode. Hello, more details.

And the costume review of last weeks episode. Other than the cloak close up, not too much new stuff for red. Pity. Loved anita's outfit though. There was excellent layering on it. I wish I had a screen cape on those sleeves.

Umm.... nothing at the moment is being worked on.
All creative power diverted to FanExpo Artist's Alley table! Yay! Accessories and such!

Costume Con 32 was AMAZING!!!!
Moofingham is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2012, 08:41 PM   #233
Rexluna
Morrigan Disapproves

God yeah, her outfit was awesome!
Unread 11-14-2012, 01:13 AM   #234
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moofingham View Post
I enjoy the hammering aspect of grommets but mine always end up so rough on the inside. No idea what I'm doing wrong. Would eyelet pliers help with that?
Are you using the two part grommets or eyelets that have the little ridges cut into them to make them fold down? If you are using the second, I suggest getting two part grommets. They aren't pre-cut. Instead they are made to roll down over the washer as you hammer. They give a much smoother finish inside that won't possibly cut you if put against bare skin.
Unread 11-14-2012, 11:25 AM   #235
Moofingham
Randomosity at 88mHz

Quote:
Are you using the two part grommets or eyelets that have the little ridges cut into them to make them fold down? If you are using the second, I suggest getting two part grommets. They aren't pre-cut. Instead they are made to roll down over the washer as you hammer. They give a much smoother finish inside that won't possibly cut you if put against bare skin.
....I think the second ones? I know I have used grommets before, but I cant find where I put the piece that has them, so I don't remember if they did the same thing. The last few projects I used: http://www.voguefabricsstore.com/Dri...unt-Brass.html
With the associated tool, which does look slightly different than the grommets one. It's not really rough on the skin, but there are rough edges in the "tunnel" where the ribbon or cord goes, fraying the lacing. I often have to squeeze those flaps inside the tunnel to get them to lay flat?

Umm.... nothing at the moment is being worked on.
All creative power diverted to FanExpo Artist's Alley table! Yay! Accessories and such!

Costume Con 32 was AMAZING!!!!
Moofingham is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2012, 11:54 AM   #236
Rexluna
Morrigan Disapproves

I've used both kinds of grommets, the kind you hammer and the kind you use the tool for. I like the tool because I tend to work on things late at night...and I'd wake up my family with the banging xD Before I had the tool, I tried to do it quietly, using my leg as a sound buffer. All I got were bruises lmao

I noticed with the tool that no matter what the back looked like, it always smoothed it out. I didn't have any fraying cord. Though it could be that I'm just bad with a hammer...I dunno.
Unread 11-14-2012, 11:56 AM   #237
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

Yes those small ones don't come with mates to press together to form a nice tube like the larger size ones do. I wish they make two part one in that size. >_< There's not much you can do about that when doing the hand method.

FanEXPO

Unplugged Expo

Future cosplays/cons:
Nehelenia
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup revies!

Win a Ticket to FanExpo!
Unread 11-14-2012, 01:44 PM   #238
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

Two part ones definitely cut down on the tear on the ribbon or cording that laces up whatever you need to lace. I use these, they have a 1/4" inner diameter and they are great for just about everything. They also have these with a 3/16" inner diameter. The site sells the setting tools and everything you would need to put them in. There are also more colors besides silver on there. I tend to buy most of them by the gross so that I don't have to keep ordering them all the time, but then again, I make corsets all the time, so I need the grommets.

Also, hammering them in can be fun. Since my house is elevated, my floors like to give under the hammer, so I have a cinder block in my room that I cover with a towel or something and use that to give the right resistance to make the grommets set easier. It usually takes two or three good hits and they are in.
Unread 11-14-2012, 02:01 PM   #239
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

^ totally worth the shipping as both Fabricland and Len Mill chains in Ontario don't carry anything but the one sided ones. >_<

FanEXPO

Unplugged Expo

Future cosplays/cons:
Nehelenia
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items for sale.

Win a Ticket to FanExpo!
Unread 11-14-2012, 02:55 PM   #240
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

Yeah, corsetmaking.com is pretty high on their shipping, but it's worth it for sure. I've looked at other sites that sell the same things, and they have much higher base costs and their shipping makes it even more expensive. Corsetmaking.com also ships extremely fast, so you aren't pacing around waiting weeks for your stuff to arrive. And it always arrives packaged really nicely so that your materials are safe. I've been supporting them and telling anyone I can about them for years. They are just a great site to order from.