Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 390 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 11-12-2012, 05:30 PM   #4696
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

^Your link's broken.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-12-2012, 05:31 PM   #4697
Bisected8
All glory to hypnoturtle!

It's working for me....

EDIT: That should fix any problems.

To do; Dark Link (80%) Link (20%)

Can't write, can't draw. Can code, a little.
Bisected8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2012, 05:07 PM   #4698
sam vimes
A real live wire

The more I think on it, the more dismayed I am at the state of our two-party system. I'm tired of the Democratic Party being the "hip" and "sensible" party. As a resident of one of the bluest areas of the country, I'm tired of constantly hearing about how the Republican Party is the party of the stupid and evil, and how they try to paint Obama as the anti-Christ. Yes, a lot of the criticism is warranted, but we went through an awful lot of fear-mongering about what would happen if Romney won as well. It's been a week now and still I'm seeing schadenfreude being produced by my friends at an alarming rate. Somehow I doubt "Democrat tears" would be a well-received meme, while liberal and Democrat vows to move to Canada would be met with nods and sympathy.

Romney lost. Can we stop crowing about it already? The election year lasts long enough as it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
SV is the most awesome man I know that I'm not married to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullbleed View Post
If this weren't tje internet id hug all of you guys right now.
Especishillly you sam.
Like a woodpecker with a headache...

Last edited by sam vimes : 11-13-2012 at 09:15 PM.
sam vimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2012, 05:38 AM   #4699
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
Romney lost. Can we stop crowing about it already? The election year lasts long enough as it is.
Those who voted for Romney, not simply because he was the whitest candidate but out of the sincere belief that he was the candidate most capable of dealing with our country's economic problems, do not deserve to be gloated over.

However, I feel no such compunction about the right wing media who wallowed in willful ignorance in the face of hard data. They failed at their job and I will continue to wave my "Nate Silver Was Right" flag in their faces.
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2012, 02:27 PM   #4700
Bisected8

Woman dies after being refused an abortion in Ireland.

There are so many things in that story that bother me I don't know where to start getting angry.

Unread 11-14-2012, 02:43 PM   #4701
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisected8 View Post
Woman dies after being refused an abortion in Ireland.

There are so many things in that story that bother me I don't know where to start getting angry.
I know it doesn't really make any difference, but I went ahead and made a donation to Planned Parenthood in her memory.

That women are still dying in countries where they have access to medicine that can save them, but medical professionals can refuse to help them, AND GET AWAY WITH IT... not enough tubes in the internet to contain all my fury. I read that story this morning and have been literally ill all day since.
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
penny_dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2012, 03:39 PM   #4702
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

Double post because I'm trying to wrap my head around how this works. WaPo says House Democrats need younger leaders. Okay. I'm with you. Pelosi, Hoyer, and Clyburn, the three bigwig Dems in the House, are 72, 73, and 72, respectively. All right, that's getting up there.

Pelosi should not seek another term in the House so that Hoyer can step in as minority leader and Clyburn can take the minority whip role. Um.

And apparently after that there's an "ugly" free-for-all as younger reps fight for the caucus chair, but none of the three mentioned are currently in the caucus chair role anyway? You've lost me.
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
Unread 11-15-2012, 12:04 AM   #4703
sam vimes
A real live wire

Oh shit, here we go again.

Quote:
Quote:
Especishillly you sam.
Unread 11-15-2012, 07:35 AM   #4704
fullbleed
Hello I'm Dr Cheeks

Israel is one of the few countries in the world that I truly hate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
Someone supply with a new descriptive label for Fullbleed. Hipster doesn't even cut it any more.
fullbleed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2012, 07:38 AM   #4705
Bisected8

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny_dreadful View Post
I know it doesn't really make any difference, but I went ahead and made a donation to Planned Parenthood in her memory.

That women are still dying in countries where they have access to medicine that can save them, but medical professionals can refuse to help them, AND GET AWAY WITH IT... not enough tubes in the internet to contain all my fury. I read that story this morning and have been literally ill all day since.
I'll admit I don't know as much about the local politics in Eire as I'd like, but apparently the problem's mostly down to the fact that the government simply hasn't had the guts to address the issue (it's less that abortion's completely illegal that doctors don't know where they stand with carrying one out).

Unread 11-15-2012, 08:58 AM   #4706
sam vimes
A real live wire

Quote:
Israel is one of the few countries in the world that I truly hate.
Hell, I'm pro-Israel and I think Bibi's over the top.

Quote:
Quote:
Especishillly you sam.
Unread 11-15-2012, 12:19 PM   #4707
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisected8 View Post
I'll admit I don't know as much about the local politics in Eire as I'd like, but apparently the problem's mostly down to the fact that the government simply hasn't had the guts to address the issue (it's less that abortion's completely illegal that doctors don't know where they stand with carrying one out).
She wasn't even seeking the termination of a viable pregnancy-- she was saying, we can't save the baby, I understand that, please save my life. And they said no. They refused to save her. I understand Ireland is a strongly Catholic country and they have Views about abortion, but I do not understand how allowing a woman to bleed to death in agony because her non-viable fetus still has a heartbeat is doing God's work. This is my big problem with allowing religion to come into politics and law. Savita Halapannavar wasn't even Catholic, but she's dead today because of Catholic dogma.

Re: Israeli strikes on Gaza: I'm not particularly pro- or anti-Israel, but Israel is cutting off Palestinian access to telecommunications... you don't do that unless you don't want word of what you're doing getting to the rest of the world. I don't care who you are, it's unacceptable.
Unread 11-15-2012, 11:20 PM   #4708
snow_zombie

Though I dont really agree with abortion....even common sense people must see that if the fetus is killing the mother (meaning the mom and it will DIE either way) they should at LEAST save the mom....
snow_zombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2012, 06:45 AM   #4709
Bisected8

Police & Crime Commissioner elections have voter turnout of <20%.

They'd just introduced them this year. They didn't even try to explain it, so the biggest shakup of policing since the 19th century's passes most people by.

Unread 11-16-2012, 06:57 AM   #4710
Sybren117
Gipsy Danger

I deliberately didn't vote on this. It's the first time I have protested by not voting on something in my life.

I do not believe the general public should choose who is police commissioner. We wouldn't get to vote on who becomes Chief of Medicine in hospitals, or who the head of local fire departments are. The problem is it simply becomes another political platform, and chances are a lot of the local elections for police commissioner will go the way of locally favoured politicians, most of whom I bet have no prior affiliation to the police force anyway. Nothing about it seems right to me.

Funny how London is the only place that this didn't happen.
Sybren117 is offline   Reply With Quote