Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Unread 11-14-2012, 09:02 PM   #1
NeonGenki
Wait A Macaroni Minute...

Makeup or No makeup?

I was just curious to see who all puts on makeup when its not required in their cosplay.
I have been cosplaying for a while but just recently decided to start wearing foundation and stuff to make my face appear smother and when needed rosey. I myself never wear makeup but enjoy putting it on for cosplay purposes. I think that when I'm cosplaying a normal person a little bit of foundation smooths the skin and seems to add that extra touch to pull it off.
NeonGenki is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-14-2012, 09:05 PM   #2
Kagomekai

I took usually use foundation to make my skin look smoother. I also use it to make it so that when pictures are taken I don't have to worry as much if my face is red from the heat and what not. ( I am very heat sensitive so it helps a bit to not look like I might burn up, also helps with my slightly paler skin otherwise.)

Sometimes eyeliner and lipstick but usually not lipstick if I think it will be too much.
Gajinka Gatomon (humanoid)
Ymir from SNK
Kagomekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2012, 09:13 PM   #3
BlondieSundae
Skanking Pickle

I always use makeup, guy, girl, alien, demon, monkey...

I use it
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten posts,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a bitching,
As of some one gently pitching, bitching at my chamber door.
`'Tis JasonTerror,' I muttered, `bitching at my chamber door -
Only this, and nothing more.'
BlondieSundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2012, 09:32 PM   #4
Tangledinblue
Witty Title...

I always wear makeup! No question! Even if I'm cosplaying a male character I wear it.

Possible Cosplays:
Eren Jaeger (Attack on Titan)
Mitsuru Kirijo (Persona 3)
Saruhiko Fushimi (K Project)
Shadow Yukiko (Persona 4)
Suit! Sarutobi Sasuke (Sengoku Basara)

-Like me on Facebook
Tangledinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2012, 09:36 PM   #5
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Makeup is ALWAYS needed for a cosplay if your face is showing. Maybe not lipstick and eyeliner and eyeshadow and blush and false eyelashes every single time, but everyone benefits from at least some concealer and foundation/powder to get a non-shiny, more evenly-toned complexion. I always have foundation and concealer, an eyeshadow that's either the colour the character wears or a subtle neutral/nude colour, mascara and some eyeliner (I have small eyes and pretty well no eyelashes. I NEED it, myself, for definition so my eyes don't disappear on the camera), and if appropriate, lipstick.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2012, 09:43 PM   #6
zeochan
Bucky take the wheel

I dont wear makeup outside cosplay, I dont feel the need. But for cosplay I will, if like my character has a scar then ill do the makeup thing to make it. The only makeup up I will usually wear is when I need to color in my eyebrows to match the color im wearing.

Black Widow (Captain America 2, civilian alternate; Falcon's house) - Finished!
Black Widow (Captain America 2, civilian alternate #2; escape with Steve) - In progress

Others:
Elsa (Frozen) - Planning
Scarlet Witch (Avengers 2) - In progress
zeochan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2012, 09:47 PM   #7
Falclon

Before I started cosplaying, the extent of the makeup I owned was one mascara tube and I lost that. Now I've been cosplaying for a year and I already have a drawer overflowing with makeup. It really is necessary. In the unflattering hall photos people will take of you, makeup helps to lessen the awfulness. I go all out for cosplay because of this. The one thing I do not wear much is eye shadow and that's just because my eyelids/upper eye area is already very defined and I do not need the additional contouring. Plus I'm so low maintenance that that last part isn't necessary to me. ^.^
Unread 11-14-2012, 09:48 PM   #8
Zaiten

Always! Guy or girl, doesn't matter. The level of which I use varies, though. I usually use some liquid concealer/foundation and mascara (I have BLONDE eyelashes. Ugh. ) for everything. Then depending on who I am I may add lip colors and eye shadows.

Facebook Page: Zaiten
Fun cosplay updates: tumblr
Serious cosplay updates: deviantART

Proud Texas Cosplayer
Zaiten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2012, 09:53 PM   #9
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

Ever since I had a guy at a scifi con with a really expensive high-end hi-def camera take photos of me that showed EVERY SINGLE PORE on my craggy face, I have worn makeup with every costume no matter what. Even for the rough, rugged, manly men. It's mostly just foundation with a little contouring, and a little eyeliner/mascara to make my blond eyelashes and eyebrows pop, but with cameras these days? You pretty much have to.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2012, 09:59 PM   #10
PSY-chan
Arrogant Ignoramus

I only cosplay while wearing makeup. Granted I've been wearing it for 16 years now, and it's the only category related to cosplaying that I felt reasonably comfortable with when I started in this hobby. Probably related to my experience with the performing arts.

Plus, everyone looks better with well applied makeup.
PSY-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2012, 10:18 PM   #11
pink-lemonade

I always wear makeup for cosplay as well. Granted, I usually wear a little bit on a daily basis anyways, but particularly for cosplay I like to do so because I think it really improves photos.
Saturday: Bad Girl (No More Heroes)
Sunday: Haruna Kojima the 8th (AKB0048)
pink-lemonade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2012, 10:44 PM   #12
Ineedaname9
I Am Not Sephiroth

I sometimes wear make up for cosplay. I typically don't for conventions (with the exception of Sakura Con.) There isn't really a point for me to wear it because I only get my picture taken by like two people the entire convention anyways, with or without makeup. I also have a problem with it wearing off since Kawaii Kon and Hexxp are always very hot and since I usually staff I don't get the time to just fix it a lot. So I just don't bother? Maybe I'm just lazy...

I do definitely do for all photoshoots now days though. It helps me a lot and my face is super round so I've been working on conturing it. I also use foundation, eyeliner, and cover up... Sometimes I'll even use lipstick (lip balm? not sure the difference...) because my normal lips are a bit pale and will look weird otherwise. I do this for most of my photoshoots lol and I usually cosplay guys.... Though admittedly, I still don't know how to use eyeshadow.

Events: ALA 15, Kawaii Kon 15, and AX 15
Photography Page Cosplay Page
Ineedaname9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2012, 11:01 PM   #13
thelovelysin
Informant

Makeup, always makeup. In cosplay or normally for everyday, I wear makeup. I absolutely love it, I rarely won't be caught dead with out it.
thelovelysin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2012, 11:08 PM   #14
touchmon
Make All The Things!

Makeup in cosplay always. If the character isn't supposed to have the "makeup look" I do something relatively simple just to accent my eyes and cover blemishes and such. Outside of cosplay, nope, way too lazy to wear makeup everyday.

~DA~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cospix~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

touchmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2012, 11:27 PM   #15
Kenkaya

Make-up is always a must for me when cosplaying. If the character doesn't have a "made-up" look, I just use foundation/concealer to even my skin tone, light brown eyeliner on the top lids of my eyes to define them a bit, and a "highlight" foundation a couple shades lighter than my skin tone on the bridge of my nose and cheekbones to make sure my face doesn't come out looking flat in photographs. Depending on the character, I might do some more contouring with highlights and shadow as well. This is considered basic make-up (for men as well) in both theater and film.