Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Masquerade / Skit Discussion

Unread 11-14-2012, 03:38 PM   #1
TheCosplayFox
What the hell?

Can you enter in skit and craftsmanship?

I wanted to enter both for my next con but last con I went to they said I could only do one so I ended up entering in the craftsmanship Is this comment at most convention?
TheCosplayFox is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-14-2012, 04:02 PM   #2
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

I know a lot of cons I've been to have a skit division and one that is strictly for judging the costume (usually walk-ons). I know that some cons do allow a skit to win best in show, but it doesn't judge it based on craftsmanship so much as how much it registered with the crowd and judges overall.
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2012, 10:03 PM   #3
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

I don't know about common...I've seen it a lot and I've also seen a lot of cons that do it other ways. It's neither in the majority nor the minority.

I personally prefer masquerades who factor both craftsmanship AND performance into the final score, but I've also competed in several who give out the awards separately but don't have any kind of rule saying you have to focus on one or the other. People tend to go all-out with both costume and presentation and then let the chips fall where they may. I do have to say that FORBIDDING people from getting scored in either craftsmanship or performance and making them choose which one is more important kind of handicaps what people are able to do, and can make for a much more boring show. Higher quantities of crappy "comedy" skits in an attempt to win performance, or higher quantities of walk-ons who are aren't allowed to do anything except runway-pose. Doesn't make for an interesting masquerade.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2012, 10:41 AM   #4
carnival
tl;dr

All the cons I've been to have had craftsmanship and skit performance tied together for the final score of a groups masquerade performance. Walk-on's were considered a separate part of the masquerade, and judged solely on craftsmanship. I've only been to conventions in Northern California so, I'm not sure if its different in other states. ><

Facebook page: Monochrome Tea
Tumblr: monochrometea.tumblr.com

2013 Convention Schedule
SacAnime Winter
Animation on Display
Fanime
Kintoki Con
Comic Con
Japan Expo (US)
carnival is offline   Reply With Quote