Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > General Construction Help

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 11-04-2012, 05:46 AM   #1
Yuki0Neko

Question how much fabric do i need to make a yukata (plus size girl)

im looking into making some yukatas for everyday wear not really cosplay but i dont know who better to ask that i can actually get some accurate answers from then here since i know cosplayers normally make stuff like this.

Im a plus size girl and the fabric store that im going to (and from what i understand most fabric places) their bolts are 8 yards and the fabric is about 42-44 inches wide but because i am plus size im wondering if that was going to be enuf. when i called the place yesterday and checked the fabrics i wanted to get the blots were untouched (as in all 8 yards were still on the cardboard thingy they're wrapped around on the self)

is the 8 yards going to be enuf? im planning on having the sleeves hit the top of my thigh (i dont know if thats the tradition length of a yukata sleeve but thats where i want it and im not making them impress anyone or be tradition and tradition kimono sleeve are too long and annoying to deal with when im out and about around town) and using this pattern
http://www.simplicity.com/p-2096-costumes.aspx

also im going to be having someone else makes them for me if that matters to anyone

im 5 foot 4 inches
shoulder to shoulder im about 21 inches
shoulder to wrist is about 20 inches
i measured my body around my nipples and it was 50 inches ( i think this is called the bust i have no sewing skills either i have no clue were i should be measuring )
waist 43 inches
hips 55 inches

thax in advance

love and peace =^y^=
Yuki0Neko is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-13-2012, 12:36 PM   #2
Akune-chan

You should probably ask the person who is going to make it for you.
They would probably know best.
Unread 11-13-2012, 03:37 PM   #3
dizzymonochrome
Sarah Charade

If you have someone else making it for you, you shouldn't need us.

However, if the person making it for you doesn't know these things either, I would suggest you find someone else who does.

Costume design and fabrication
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/sector6labs

Tumblr: http://sector6labs.tumblr.com

Twitter: @sector6labs http://www.twitter.com/sector6labs
dizzymonochrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2012, 05:48 PM   #4
animenerd93
Neko Neko Chi CHi

I'm thinking that by other person u mean someone close to u? If that's the pattern ur using it should say what amount of fabric u need
RapMonster- BTS N.O
fem!Ravi- VIXX Hyde
Hyuk- VIXX Voodoo Doll
animenerd93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2012, 06:01 PM   #5
djlemma

Agreed with others that the person making it should be the one deciding how much fabric to buy. The pattern only goes up to bust/waist/hip size 42"/34"/44" so you might want to see if there's another pattern in a larger size.

Also, if you use that pattern, don't forget that you'll need whatever yardage of the outer fabric, plus the lining, plus interfacing, cording, boning, and fabric for the sash, for the "obi, drape, knot, and back support" basically all those items that are listed on the back of the envelope. Seems like a pretty fabric hungry pattern, so for all the pieces you'll probably be buying a couple bolts in total.
Unread 11-13-2012, 08:19 PM   #6
Penlowe

Yes, yes, and yes.
1) the pattern envelope will tell you whats needed (provided you get the right size pattern)
2) the person sewing needs to have a say in the yardage required.
3) I agree that if they can't read the pattern envelope they are not skilled enough to be taking on tasks like this.

In addition, the hardest part about sewing for plus sizes is not nearly enough patterns are made for them, nor are they always plus in the right places. Knowing what kind of wide panels a kimono has, traditional 44" fabrics might not suffice, you might need to seek out either bigger fabrics (the next size up in fabric widths is 60") or seam your fabrics together to get the sizes needed for the end result garment.

My husband is a really big dude, after several failed attempts I finally gave up on traditional patterns and dissected a shirt he ruined to make a pattern from. Vogue and McCall's just do.not.make. big & tall mens patterns anywhere close to his burly frame. Even if he reaches his goal weight, I'll still not be able to use ordinary pattens for him, he's built like an ox....
Unread 11-13-2012, 10:06 PM   #7
djlemma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penlowe View Post

My husband is a really big dude, after several failed attempts I finally gave up on traditional patterns and dissected a shirt he ruined to make a pattern from. Vogue and McCall's just do.not.make. big & tall mens patterns anywhere close to his burly frame. Even if he reaches his goal weight, I'll still not be able to use ordinary pattens for him, he's built like an ox....
Vogue and McCall's barely make patterns for men at all, from my experience.
Unread 11-14-2012, 05:28 PM   #8
Penlowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlemma View Post
Vogue and McCall's barely make patterns for men at all, from my experience.
I'm old. Up through the early 90's both had considerably more mens clothing than they do now. Heck way back in the 70's Vogue had full designer suit patterns for men.
Unread 11-15-2012, 12:06 AM   #9
djlemma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penlowe View Post
I'm old. Up through the early 90's both had considerably more mens clothing than they do now. Heck way back in the 70's Vogue had full designer suit patterns for men.
I think Vogue still has those same suit patterns from the 70's. At least, last time I looked at the catalog, there were a couple suit patterns and other than the Tux they all seemed a bit dated.