Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Costume Critique

Unread 06-25-2012, 10:11 AM   #1
Rusty Crowe
Star Spangled Man

Captain America(Bucky Rescue)

Hey, as you may have noticed from my avatar, I'm a pretty big fan of Captain America, for NYCC last October, I decided to dress up as him during his "Bucky Rescue" scene.

Here's the inspiration pic:
Concept

And the screen shot:

Screenshot

Here's what I was able to throw together in a week:

First Try

Now, for Wizard World last month, I wasn't going to dress up cause it wasn't as big, but I decided to anyways, and I made a major renovation to my costume, with new: Goggles, Helmet, shield, dogtags, suspenders, belt, leggings and boots, here's the result.

New Costume 1

New Costume 2

I guess the belt was covered up by the shield in the pics, but I think the new one is slightly better, opinions?

Unread 06-26-2012, 03:17 PM   #2
Lightane
a curious fool

I'm glad that you added some belts to the costume, though I couldn't tell if you had the ammo pouches around the waist. If you were going for the after rescue outfit in the screen shot you should tatter up the jacket some, but either way it looks pretty nice!

(Also are you wearing the Captain America styled hoodie for an undershirt? If so it'd be much more comfortable to get a t shirt haha)

A couple things I would mention is to wear down your costume a bit to give it that look that he has in the movie, yours looks shiny and new. Also make sure to zip up the jacket since he has it zipped in both reference pictures, and of course if you want to go the extra mile either get a blond wig or bleach your hair. Though that's just a personal preference since he is America's golden boy in a sense.

Just my opinion, but you've got a great start to a potentially fantastic costume!
Lightane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2012, 05:36 PM   #3
erwneoten

Woo, Cap love!

All the pieces look great, but as much of a shame as it would be to tear up that leather jacket, it needs some wear. You could grime up the shirt and helmet, maybe even paint/sculpt bullet holes onto your shield. Really make it look like you just kicked some Nazi butt! Some grease smears or dirt (well, makeup that looks like grease and dirt) would complete it.
erwneoten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2012, 10:24 PM   #4
Rusty Crowe
Star Spangled Man

Here are some better shots of me and I do have a cartridge belt, so it's in the shot:
Shot one

Shot two with Lady Hawkeye and a good shot of my belt

Here's a side shot with a good view of the holster

Using makeup on the face is a good point, I'll have to try that fo New York Comic Con, Ireally was debating dying my hair blonde for it, but a few weeks later, I'm supposed to be Archer for Chiller. As for the jacket, it's my Indiana Jones one, BUT I did just get one with a side zipper that looks more movie accurate, bue Jones one has no padding, so I stay cool, the hoodie is pretty thin also, which is good.

As for the shield, there's a guy who sells clear silly putty, I was debating putting a thin layer on the top right corner near the star and making a fist imprint...opinions?
Unread 08-15-2012, 06:10 AM   #5
Rusty Crowe
Star Spangled Man

Also, I recently saw that Hot Toys is making a figure based off of this figure, and to my surprise the jacket is closer to what I wore colorwise, than what he did in the movie. Should I keep it the way it is or change it?

Hot Toys Captain America Rescue
Unread 08-28-2012, 10:49 PM   #6
Meromyosin

That shield is magnificent!
Meromyosin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2012, 08:07 PM   #7
Rusty Crowe
Star Spangled Man

Thanks man!!!
Unread 11-16-2012, 01:23 AM   #8
Rusty Crowe
Star Spangled Man

Here's a pic from NYCC with new Gloves, Jacket, Pants & Shield!

Cap & Thor