Go Back   Cosplay.com > Non-Cosplay Forums > Video Game Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 10-22-2012, 10:30 AM   #31
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFujin View Post
Why don't we have a universal Virtual Console, for that matter? I really want to transfer my Virtual Console purchases from my Wii to my 3DS. I know the 3DS doesn't have SNES, Genesis, N64, etc yet, but I at least would like to transfer my NES games to my 3DS rather than having to repurchase them as they become available. I also think it's weird that the 3DS and the Wii have completely different NES games. I don't really understand why Nintendo can only release one or two things digitally a week. Am I thinking about this the wrong way and there's some technical thing I'm not understanding?

As for the Wii U, I'll get it eventually, but not at launch.
Because Nintendo STILL doesn't think people want to play video games online.

As much as I make fun of Sony for handling this gen, one things they've done right is PSN. There are a TON of games that can be played both on the PS3 & PSP/Vita. I really don't know why Nintendo has copied this sort of thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIT0918 View Post
Before I even consider getting a Wii U, I need to get a Wii 1(?) first. I have some GameCube games I've been wanting to play and if I'm not mistaken, the Wii U can't play them.
Nope. You'll need a Cube or a generation 1 or 2 Wii. And a memory card. Get on it son.

"I think that a huge problem is people who read comics and don't understand the point of superheroes, which is to be the best version of yourself. You love Captain America? Well, you know what Captain America would never do? Go online anonymously and shit on a girl for having an opinion." -Brian Michael Bendis
TheAnarCHris is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-22-2012, 03:31 PM   #32
DarkFujin
Lang Zhi says...

Yeah, I really wish the Virtual Console was more like the PSN in that way. The 3DS Virtual Console releases a completely different set of games than the Wii's, even with consoles they have in common (NES). And for some reason instead of doing a massive update to the 3DS Virtual Console to include all the Wii's NES games, they still just slowly come out with maybe a game a week. But then again, I don't think they've updated all of the ambassador games with save states and all that stuff yet, have they? I'll have to check on that, but I think they're just doing it whenever the game gets released on the Virtual Console. And the GBA games haven't been updated, don't do sleep mode, and haven't been made available for non-ambassadors, which is weird because that implies that they don't want to do any GBA games for the Virtual Console. So, if they're not updating the games, is that because there's some weird programming thing that takes a while, or is there some other reason? I don't know his this whole process works. On my computer I just open an emulator, click on a ROM and play, but I have no idea if the Virtual Console is that simple for Nintendo or not. But then again, if Sony can make PSX games available for all systems at once, you'd think NES games would be no problem.

I'm just NES games as an example here because they're on both the 3DS and Wii, but I would love to see SNES, Genesis, etc on the 3DS at some point. Especially if I can just transfer my Wii SNES games to my 3DS.

Also, I had no idea that only earlier Wii consoles could play GameCube games! I assumed all Wii versions could.
DarkFujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2012, 09:42 PM   #33
UNIT0918
Pursue your true self

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnarCHris View Post
Nope. You'll need a Cube or a generation 1 or 2 Wii. And a memory card. Get on it son.
Welp, there goes my motivation. If I can't find a generation 1 or 2 Wii, then I'm torn whether I should get a GameCube or a Wii. I have Skies of Arcadia for GameCube, and I have Xenoblade and Last Story for Wii. I'm kind of leaning towards a Wii though since there's rumors that Skies of Arcadia will be ported to PSN and XBLA.
UNIT0918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2012, 09:48 AM   #34
Quantum9
Janitor of Crystal Tokyo

Quote:
Welp, there goes my motivation. If I can't find a generation 1 or 2 Wii, then I'm torn whether I should get a GameCube or a Wii. I have Skies of Arcadia for GameCube, and I have Xenoblade and Last Story for Wii. I'm kind of leaning towards a Wii though since there's rumors that Skies of Arcadia will be ported to PSN and XBLA.
You can probably find a Wii for less than $100 on craigslist.
Quantum9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2012, 04:50 AM   #35
Zweihander
Resident jerkface

Quote:
>having Wii games without also owning Sin & Punishment: Star Successor

I shiggy diggy.
Unread 10-26-2012, 09:21 AM   #36
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zweihander View Post
>having Wii games without also owning Sin & Punishment: Star Successor

I shiggy diggy.
> Not adding Madworld to that list.

Zwei I am dissapoint. SAD BRO-NER!

"I think that a huge problem is people who read comics and don't understand the point of superheroes, which is to be the best version of yourself. You love Captain America? Well, you know what Captain America would never do? Go online anonymously and shit on a girl for having an opinion." -Brian Michael Bendis
TheAnarCHris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2012, 10:03 AM   #37
Quantum9
Janitor of Crystal Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pliskin View Post
Its still too stop-gap for Nintendo.

1GB dedicated game RAM might seem like a lot, until the other consoles are tossing around 4 or 6, and are capable of outputting at 4k or 8k.

Also, betting money that Bayonetta 2 is timed exclusive. No way they'd cut out a 130 million user install base unless Nintendo gave them enough money to fund the next 4 Bayonetta games and publish them themselves.
Just wanted to pop in also and mention that 4k and 8k televisions won't be affordable by the general populace likely for another 10 years. Then again, you're the guy who thought a PS3 at $599 was a bargain so who am I to judge?
Quantum9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2012, 11:53 AM   #38
Zweihander
Resident jerkface

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnarCHris View Post
> Not adding Madworld to that list.

Zwei I am dissapoint. SAD BRO-NER!
Hey, I enjoyed MadWorld. I just thought it was their weakest game, unless you count Red Hot Rumble. It's an excellent buy for $15, though.
Unread 11-18-2012, 12:17 AM   #39
dx7879
King of the Pirates!

How about that Wii U that comes out in a bit?

I stopped by a Meijer store by me a few hours back, which is a 24 hour store that sells almost everything, and there were 3 people waiting in electronics. Not sure how many the store has, but I got my Nintendo DS from there, and they only had 6 total :/
dx7879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2012, 10:06 PM   #40
Pliskin
Fortune Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum9 View Post
Just wanted to pop in also and mention that 4k and 8k televisions won't be affordable by the general populace likely for another 10 years. Then again, you're the guy who thought a PS3 at $599 was a bargain so who am I to judge?
Well, you're assuming that UHDTV's will drop at the same rate as HDTV's did, but its actually more likely they'll drop faster. (heck, between LG and Sony bickering, they've dropped some 20% in price already and there isn't even one available yet)

EDIT: Actually toshiba has a model coming out now that's about half the price of the Sony and LG offerings.

And that $599 was a pretty good bargain for fully backwards compatible model. I actually ended up selling that 60GB model for $800+ a few years back.

Buuut, that wasn't what I came here to talk about, namely, the Wii U's RAM decision. One of the gents at a tech site recently did a tear down and we find out that the Wii U has less memory bandwidth than the 360 or PS3. Depending on the eDRAM usage, there could end up being a rather large bottleneck between porting from the HD twins to the WiiU.
Pliskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2012, 09:54 AM   #41
Fish-and-Chips-Yum
Look! A hidden puzzle!

Quote:
I'd invest in a used Gamecube off of Amazon. They're not too expensive, and the Gamecube is all sorts of amazing (it's my favorite console by far). They're durable as all get out, so it'll likely last you a long time (I've had mine for 7 years now with no problems, I've had to get my Wii fixed twice in the past 6).

As for the WiiU.... I'm not impressed. I find the launch titles good at best (maybe one great title), the games are overpriced, the system is overprices..... nope. I'll probably wait about a year or two to jump on the WiiU bandwagon.

+See Costume List for Completed Projects+

+In-Progress+
+Rarity+ MLP:FiM ~100%~ Just finished!
+Matryoshka!America+ Hetalia ~20%~ Designing the Hoodie!

+2013 Plans+
+Gala!Rarity+ MLP:FiM
+Ciel Phantomhive (Vol. 6 Outfit)+ Black Butler
+Hatsune Miku (Snow Version 2013)+ Vocaloid
+Umbreon+ Pokemon

+Conventions Planned for 2013+
Sakura Con 2013 ~ 65% Likely
Everfree 2013 ~ 30% Likely
Kumori Con 2013 ~ 40% Likely
Aki Con 2013 ~ 100% Likely
Fish-and-Chips-Yum is offline   Reply With Quote