Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Unread 11-15-2012, 01:32 PM   #61
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny_dreadful View Post
This was a very well-written, well thought out piece on the phenomenon of the "fake" geek girl. It says so much that I know deep down but am unable to express.
Thank you for sharing the link. I now hate the internet a tiny bit less
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-15-2012, 02:08 PM   #62
BlondieSundae
Skanking Pickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium Flower View Post
I cosplayed as young school-aged girls and had guys touching my waist and treating me like a doll. I cosplayed as an older anime woman and I had guys taking pictures of my tits and only my tits. If I was exhausted after a 10 hour day wandering around the convention and someone asked for a picture and I just went into 'pose nice' mode people would make comments that I am clearly used to it in some snotty voice like I am a photo-whore.

I cosplayed 'outside of my body type' (whatever bro, my body type is fabulous) as Nami and had some bitch sitting around with her friend shout at me to 'put a shirt on'.

Damned if I do, damned if I don't my friend.

They're lucky I can't make it to youma con yet... else I would have ripped out their weaves.
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten posts,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a bitching,
As of some one gently pitching, bitching at my chamber door.
`'Tis JasonTerror,' I muttered, `bitching at my chamber door -
Only this, and nothing more.'
BlondieSundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2012, 03:55 PM   #63
EvilLittleKiss
Profound Historical Youth

I hate how female nerds are either seen as fakes, or if they're "real" then they must be ugly and socially retarded. Just today in English class some of the kids were talking about Xbox Live, and the girl in front of me mentioned that she had one. Immediately one of the guys laughs and says "Is your name Girlygirl22?"

I guess I'm pretty cute, with all of the creepers at my school on me, and I get hit on a lot at conventions. I have a rather...naturally endowed chest (As Dizzy Dean said, "It ain't bragging if it's the truth.") and strangers often think that I'm in my 20's when I'm 16. I don't lead them on, I politely tell them that I have a boyfriend.

I never did get into many western comics or superheroes. (I do like webcomics though) They just never appealed to me. I got into the gaming scene late because as a child my parents never let me game because they were paranoid about nerd culture and thought I'd a: get addicted and have no social life or b: I'd become violent since to them every game is pointless violence and titties.

I'm very much into anime/manga, (I'm an anime club president at my school and have won an anime trivia contest before against people who have been into anime for 10+ years more than I have) although I'm not into the Big 3 type anime since I'm not a fan of shonen.

I also read history textbooks and reference books for FUN. Right now on my bed are 3 books on modern European history.

But according to this guy's logic, it doesn't matter how much manga, history books, or webcomics I read, animes I watch, or games I play, I'm a fake because I have 2 X chromosomes and because I'm not a cosplaying professional. I also shouldn't cosplay because men are helpless to a cute girl and by me not wanting them I'll shatter their hearts into a million pieces because I'm just that evil. I am most certainly never buying any of his works now.

Currently working on:
Scarlett O'Hara Drapery Dress -- Gone With the Wind
Deandra -- MPGiS
Anna Cornonation Dress -- Frozen
Vader Eloha/The Queen -- OFF
Princess Suwa -- Mascot of the city of Suwa, Japan

My favorite cosplays:
Brittnay Matthews -- MPGiS
Mom Lalonde -- Homestuck
Princess Kenny -- South Park

Tumblr: http://justacrazedfangirl.tumblr.com/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/annikaskisses
EvilLittleKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2012, 04:45 PM   #64
Kildread
I can fix it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny_dreadful View Post
This was a very well-written, well thought out piece on the phenomenon of the "fake" geek girl. It says so much that I know deep down but am unable to express.
I thought that was great and objective --- it wasn't written like a rant, it didn't just go ahead and point fingers. Very refreshing to what I'm used (The articles initially linked by this thread are the norm).

I wonder if it's due to such pieces being very rare, I rarely ever see these linked or reblogged, it's normally some infuriating "rant" of some kind that resonates with people to agree with.
Kildread is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2012, 05:02 PM   #65
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kildread View Post
I thought that was great and objective --- it wasn't written like a rant, it didn't just go ahead and point fingers. Very refreshing to what I'm used (The articles initially linked by this thread are the norm).

I wonder if it's due to such pieces being very rare, I rarely ever see these linked or reblogged, it's normally some infuriating "rant" of some kind that resonates with people to agree with.
Talking about these subjects tends to create a lot of strong emotions, and it can be hard to get out your thoughts in a calm, clear, orderly manner while you're in the heat of the moment. I mean, that's not good journalism, but it is kind of the nature of the internet.

The article is for sure refreshing, though.
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
penny_dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2012, 08:40 PM   #66
Drysi
Illiterate and Illusory

Coming out of a website entitled 'Geeksaresexy', I basically disregarded the content of this article immediately as exactly what can be expected of it; sexualized, self-entitled trash.
So, tl;dr:
Harris, fuk u. u dnt NO ME OR MY LYF.

I hate dragging out the soapbox for a community that's founded in reality escapism and shouldn't fundamentally require serious justification for the mechanics of what it does, but Harris doesn't know shit about cosplay. He's not a participant; he's a spectator. And like many spectators on a culture and community he knows little if anything about personally, feels privileged by his removed vantage to judge and superimpose his biased values on top of it. We've all done it, we've all been victims of it, though thankfully a lot of us learn how to control or at least channel these impulses in a way that isn't as flagrantly destructive to others' self-esteem as posting vitriol bs on a public forum is. What he did is childish and self-indulgent, and it infuriates me. But I hope he understands now, after the act, what it's like to get your eyebrows singed when you dick around with an open flame. Sometimes it takes getting burnt for people to learn that there are consequences when you make hedonistic decisions in public. Things like exposing your genitals at the train station and saying inflammatory things on the internet, they all fall into the same bucket when you're either arrested or spammed with hate mail or both.

By his responses, a favorable outcome where he learned from the reactions he got looks bleak, but I've gotta hope. Maybe this just reinforced his beliefs that bitches are p0zers and are striking out against him because what he's saying is so utterly tr00, maybe there's a glimmer of remorse for his impetuousness spotwelded on the back of his skull. Idunno. Point being he acted an ass and I hope he at some point in the near future he figures out why.

And to add to the general consenus yeah the geek community still carries its mono-gendered baggage, and honestly until there are major social changes dealing with the way we approach gender roles I feel it probably always will, in fragments and shadowed gestures. It's symptomatic of a larger problem present in all corners of western macro-culture in that a major demographic of contemporary men is addressing contemporary women in an antiquated fashion. Which is fucking depressing.
Drysi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2012, 09:35 PM   #67
MaiSheri
Eternal Procrastinator

Beating a dead horse at this point? Probably... but I enjoyed this response: The Adventures of Tony Harris... Grocery Store Manager
Unread 11-17-2012, 09:44 PM   #68
DireKitty
Captain Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
Professionally, he's retarded. Why would you alienate so many potential fans and customers?
It's really not appropriate to throw that word around. Especially while commenting on alienating people.

Anime North Reddit Community
DireKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2012, 11:36 PM   #69
Drysi
Illiterate and Illusory

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiSheri View Post
Beating a dead horse at this point? Probably... but I enjoyed this response: The Adventures of Tony Harris... Grocery Store Manager
Aaaaand now I have a new blog I'm obligated to follow out of a common dislike for someone.
This brings my hate-blog tally up to four.
Drysi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2012, 12:54 PM   #70
dizzymonochrome
Sarah Charade

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlondieSundae View Post
Saw it on tumblr, it's a narrow minded penis wrinkle of a man being an ass wipe.

Ignore, ignore, ignore.
lol but the contributing writer's name is Meredith...
Edit: Oh nevermind, the link was a response to the flame-on-girl-cosplayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bm-Atticus View Post
Unfortunately whatever point that he had went up in smoke when he mistook the term 'bluntness' for 'blanketing statement about a good portion of comic book fans'.

There are girls who will dress up as a character they don't have any knowledge of aside from their looks. Now I will ask why does this bother you so much? Because they thrive on the attention being given to them from poor, innocent nerdy boys and preying on them? Oh please. He makes it sound like men loose control over themselves whenever they see a pretty girl. Way to insult your own gender, man.

Now, I'm going to do something that Mister Harris here failed to do. Provide examples of his findings.

I have a friend who is in shape and very pretty. At AX she dressed up as Lady Deadpool. Whenever someone would shout out "Look it's Female/girl Deadpool" she would usually correct them. She talked my ear off about Deadpool Corps and when she dressed up as Silk Spectre II we had a few intense conversations about Watchmen both the movie and comic and the Before Watchmen series often talking circles around the men we were around.

I've also met some girls who barely know the name of the character they were cosplaying as. They just dressed up as that person because they... GASP! Like dressing sexy!

But again I ask, what's wrong with that? I'd like to think we live in a society where we can express ourselves without getting shat on by each other.

Who's it hurting? The girl dressing up? Nope, whatever her reasons were for dressing up I'm sure she's probably having a blast. The men who are now 'objectifying' her? I don't think you're giving the men enough credit. If they want to take picture of 'hot' girls and the girl let's them, hey, that's their business. Other women? Well, I can't speak for everything but it doesn't really bother me. Want to know why?

You can't tell if a girl is a 'true' fan or not just by looking at her.

So since he wasn't able to provide examples that he personally experienced, it sounds like he sees these 'hot' cosplayers at cons and just assumes they don't know anything about this whole 'comic book thing' that seems to be so popular these days.
^^THIS^^. I agree. Different people have different reasons for cosplaying. Some people who may be very focused on the craftsmanship and challenging themselves to create very complex/detailed costumes might not care that they don't know the character as well as a hardcore fan. They might simply enjoy the aesthetic of the artwork and design and want to show off craftsmanship skills. And that's totally okay. Some people feel the need for popularity and recognition and might go with what's popular that year, or what looks sexy. That's okay too. Some people just naturally fall into a fandom because it had a lot of exposure that year. A lot of people who might not have read the Avengers comics watched the movie, liked it, and got into the fandom that way. A lot of them started reading the comics. Just because they didn't read them as they were released doesn't make them any less of a fan.

Anyway, this guy's "opinion" is not new, unfortunately.

Costume design and fabrication
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/sector6labs

Tumblr: http://sector6labs.tumblr.com

Twitter: @sector6labs http://www.twitter.com/sector6labs

Last edited by dizzymonochrome : 11-20-2012 at 01:28 PM.
dizzymonochrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2012, 06:52 PM   #71
huskies4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzymonochrome View Post
lol but the contributing writer's name is Meredith...
Edit: Oh nevermind, the link was a response to the flame-on-girl-cosplayers

^^THIS^^. I agree. Different people have different reasons for cosplaying. Some people who may be very focused on the craftsmanship and challenging themselves to create very complex/detailed costumes might not care that they don't know the character as well as a hardcore fan. They might simply enjoy the aesthetic of the artwork and design and want to show off craftsmanship skills. And that's totally okay. Some people feel the need for popularity and recognition and might go with what's popular that year, or what looks sexy. That's okay too. Some people just naturally fall into a fandom because it had a lot of exposure that year. A lot of people who might not have read the Avengers comics watched the movie, liked it, and got into the fandom that way. A lot of them started reading the comics. Just because they didn't read them as they were released doesn't make them any less of a fan.

Anyway, this guy's "opinion" is not new, unfortunately.
Which reminds me of something I read. Something on the lines of: "Being a fan doesn't mean you were there at the beginning. It means that you'll be there until the end."
huskies4ever is offline   Reply With Quote