Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Unread 11-18-2012, 05:08 AM   #1
Tea.Addiction

Question Jack Frost Staff

Hey, I'm completely new at cosplaying. I've wanted to do it for a while, and I since I went to the London MCM Expo, I've been looking for a cosplay I could do.

Now I've chosen Jack Frost from the new Rise of the Guardians film, as it's inexpensive, and I've got most of the things I need at home, or I can buy then easily (I've got the eyes naturally).

Is was just wondering, how do you think I should do his staff?

It looks fairly simple, but as I've never done a cosplay before, I just wanted some tips and maybe a few pointers on a few of the other aspects of cosplaying him

Thanks in advance, and I'm sorry if I've put this thread in the wrong place.

I'll make sure to upload a few photo's of what I've gathered so far

Tea.Addiction
Tea.Addiction is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-18-2012, 10:58 AM   #2
Aeviking
Fantasy worlds explorer

Yep, this should be in Props/accesories/armour. For his... weapon? I would try to glue some real branches together for making the form. The clothes look so easy to find, and you only will have to paint the sweater with fabric paint and distress the pants. There are a lot of tutorials about how to distress fabric, and you can use a toothbrush and a piece of cardboard to spread the paint for making the frosty parts. Also, you can glue the rope of his pants so it can't fall, and you will have to style carefully the wig (if you're using one). Good luck!
Unread 11-18-2012, 05:04 PM   #3
Tea.Addiction

Thank you, I'll keep that all in mind when I make it (Which should be some time when I get paid at the end of the month)

Also; thank you for telling me where this type of question should go, for the future

Good luck with your cosplays

Tea.Addiction
Tea.Addiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2012, 09:37 PM   #4
Nostrum
R4Hscal

Personally I wouldn't be inclined to glue branches together. Honestly, it's going to look like.. Well, branches glued together.

You've got a few options, but the easiest would probably to make it with PVC (plumbers) piping. You can warp it gently with a heat gun (or if you're brazen, very carefully over a gas burner), to give you that branch-like look.
For the hooked part of it, you would make sections from PVC and glue them together (with a suitable PVC glue, and/or by fibreglassing the joins). The knots, you can either make from small pieces of PVC pipe glued on, or build them from something like bondo.
You can even texture the full staff with (either a layer of bondo, or) a soldering iron run carefully over the surface. Or take to it with a stanley knife and sandpaper.

All in all I wouldn't expect that staff to run you over $20-$30, including paints. Make sure you prime your surface before you paint, so it doesn't rub off.

Edit: And sew the binding on to the pants, though make sure you can stick your ol' feetsies through, or things could get awkward.
Nostrum is offline   Reply With Quote