Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 07-31-2012, 05:50 PM   #1
Frenzied Muffin

Muscle Gaining for a Skinny Guy

Hello All

Iím looking to get back into a free weight workout. Right now I have access to a bench press (with bar + weights) and adjustable dumbbells. Right at this moment Iím 5í11Ē at a whopping 120lbs. Iíll be honestÖ I graduated college and started my career and I feel I barely have time to work out. Iím hoping there is a routine to get back into this that fits my schedule. Iíve watched my muscle mass slowly degrade until I looked like a stick man.

I currently work 4 11 hour days Mon-Thurs. So Iím thinking something like Upper Body on Friday, Lower body on Sunday and short aggressive weightless workouts in the morning during the work week. My other idea is a full body workout on Friday, rest Saturday and another full body workout Sunday with small morning workouts during the work week.

Does anyone have a decent routine to follow for this? I used to have a routine I made myself, but Iíve all but forgotten most of it.

Thanks!
Frenzied Muffin is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-31-2012, 07:03 PM   #2
wisetaner
Full of enthusiasm

Jogging seems to help me, I mostly jog to and from college classes which equals about six miles a week. But after two months time I'm slowly gaining muscle back and my stomach is slowly firming up.

https://www.facebook.com/mike.strasko
wisetaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2012, 12:11 AM   #3
Arti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzied Muffin View Post
Hello All

Iím looking to get back into a free weight workout. Right now I have access to a bench press (with bar + weights) and adjustable dumbbells. Right at this moment Iím 5í11Ē at a whopping 120lbs. Iíll be honestÖ I graduated college and started my career and I feel I barely have time to work out. Iím hoping there is a routine to get back into this that fits my schedule. Iíve watched my muscle mass slowly degrade until I looked like a stick man.

I currently work 4 11 hour days Mon-Thurs. So Iím thinking something like Upper Body on Friday, Lower body on Sunday and short aggressive weightless workouts in the morning during the work week. My other idea is a full body workout on Friday, rest Saturday and another full body workout Sunday with small morning workouts during the work week.

Does anyone have a decent routine to follow for this? I used to have a routine I made myself, but Iíve all but forgotten most of it.

Thanks!
If you have access to a barbell (ie what a bench press should have), My best suggestion without going too wordy is to start out Starting Strength. It's one of be best barbell training programs as it's very simplistic and goes down to the basics. The program only calls for resistance training 3 times a week. There are similar barbell training programs as well, catering to different styles. I like this one as it incorporates a few simple olympic lifts.

You can just google it and there's probably a online book that you can find while you're at it...
Arti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2012, 04:09 PM   #4
ShaneUSMC

Low reps of the highest weight you can handle. Eat an insane amount. Eat 1hour after you work out. I was 5'10" 110-115pnds before I joined the corps. Now I'm 145. An hour a day is a enough to slay yourself. I can pull it off working 16 hours a day do I'm sure you can manage!
ShaneUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2012, 08:33 PM   #5
Firehound105

Alright here's what you need to know about building muscle (and gaining weight essentially).

1.The NUMBER ONE thing you need to do it EAT. Nutrition is over 60% of the whole picture. You can lift weights all day and night (actually that's also a bad thing... I'll explain later) but you will not build the weight with the proper fuel. Since you are skinny it is fine to overeat a little until you put on weight, but as a rule of thumb you should have 30-50g of protein about 5-6 times a day. and usually you try to match that with the number of carbs since you are gaining. I know eating 5 times a day seems a lot but there are a few tricks around it:

a. Having a protein shake with WHOLE MILK. You don't need to worry about the fat.

b. Picking the right foods. Notable ones for high protein are salmon, (my favorite) chicken, and eggs. Granted there are a lot of others that are good but those are my personal favorite (though you may need to watch cholesterol with the eggs). And then for carbs, try to eat complex carbs like whole wheat, sweet potatoes and oatmeal. Those are great for building and keeping you full.

2. Now for the other remaining part of getting big. It's all about heavy weights and NO CARDIO. Now when I say heavy weights I don't mean going over to the dumbell rack and lifting up the 100's and expecting to press them with no problem. What you need to do is to get the heaviest weight you can lift for 8-12 reps. This will take some time to get used to, but you should try to keep a log of how much you lift and how many reps you can do. That way you can keep track of things and not have to guess how much you can lift. Try to upp the number of reps or the weight each week to maximize the workout. Also two other tips I've learned from watching bodybuilders/friends of mine:

a. Each time you do a set increase the weight by a minimal amount (you can increase it by more later) and in doing so work your muscles to exhaustion. For example, say we are doing curls, we can do the following in four sets

12 reps @ 10lbs
10 reps @ 15lbs
8 reps @ 20 lbs
8 reps @ 25 lbs

Now this is just an example, but the goal is to do that weight for as many reps as you can do until you can't do any more. However, try to keep it within the 8-12 reps rule in order to maximize results (for MOST muscle groups)

b. Okay I call these supersets, though I've been told that it may be the wrong term (Who knows, all that matters is that you get the point). The goal is that after your last set (with my previous example it would be the 25's) you immediately halve the weight and start another set and work again til you can't lift anymore. If you can't find the exact weight try to round up (so using our example 25/2 = 12.5lbs, but that's hard to find so try 15lbs).

3. Now this is only about 10%, but still very important: supplements. Now it is by no means 100% necessary to get bigger with supplements, but it is a lot harder to get the necessary nutrition by traditional means. I don't know about you but I don't have the time to cook five meals a day when I can grab a shake for two of those meals that takes all of a minute to make. Preworkout shakes are also nice because they give you a little extra pump in your workout, but again they aren't 100% necessary just nice to have. Oh as a little side note, I like using protein powder with arginine in it before I workout (if it's time for one of my snacks that is). Arginine is the animo acid responsible for the production of NO (which in lay men's terms will give you a "pump") and increases the repair rate damaged tissue.

4. I almost forgot! Don't forget to sleep!
Firehound105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2012, 12:27 PM   #6
Cephas
ICXC NIKA

To gain size, you need to eat a lot. Try a gallon of whole milk a day (GOMAD) or full fat plain yoghurt.

I did this, and found better chest gains than when I was lifting weights:

http://youtu.be/u_5seOPVx-4

I added a twist--Figure out how many inverted rows you can do (this is the opposite of a push up. Find a table, or better yet an unused squat rack or Smith machine and pull/row your body up). Do 25% of that and add one rep per week as per the video.

My "twist" is that I superset pushups and rows. A superset is two or more exercises done in quick succession (i.e. no rest); ideally theses exercises are opposites (think bicep curls vs. tricep extensions).

Firehound105: What your are describing--when you work until failure and then halve the weight--are drop sets.

Do ten supersets per session.

Last edited by Cephas : 11-23-2012 at 12:30 PM.
Cephas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2012, 01:25 AM   #7
Arbite
Shut up and move!

Some good advice here, but I'll make a few corrections.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehound105 View Post
2. Now for the other remaining part of getting big. It's all about heavy weights and NO CARDIO. Now when I say heavy weights I don't mean going over to the dumbell rack and lifting up the 100's and expecting to press them with no problem. What you need to do is to get the heaviest weight you can lift for 8-12 reps.
Seriously, Cardio is really good for you. From a light walk, to a solid 5k run, you should be doing cardio. You will have to eat more because of it though.

You are also better off with around 5 reps of heavier weights. 8-12 Will focus more on sarcoplasmic hypertrophy, and you want myofibrillar first. The two are not exclusive, however, the former is much more effective after the latter. Myofibrillar is what will make you stronger. Sarcoplasmic is far more effective when you have strength to back it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehound105 View Post
a. Each time you do a set increase the weight by a minimal amount (you can increase it by more later) and in doing so work your muscles to exhaustion. For example, say we are doing curls, we can do the following in four sets

12 reps @ 10lbs
10 reps @ 15lbs
8 reps @ 20 lbs
8 reps @ 25 lbs

Now this is just an example, but the goal is to do that weight for as many reps as you can do until you can't do any more. However, try to keep it within the 8-12 reps rule in order to maximize results (for MOST muscle groups)
Honestly, as a begginner lifter, you will be far better off doing 3-4 sets of 5 reps at the same weight. A good rule of thumb is to start off with just the bar, then keep adding weight and doing sets of 5 until you start to slow down. This should be your starting weight from then on. For the first few months, you will get strong, fast. I nearly doubled my deadlift weight in about two months.

Hopefully you'll be able to join a gym that has barbells. Not just a smith machine. And if it doesn't have a squat rack, walk out.

Novice lifters can recover very quickly from their workouts, so you can get away with full body workouts three-four times a week, adding 5-10 pounds for lower body lifts every time, and 2-5 pounds for upper bodies. You don't really need to do isolation excercizes as a novice, but if you want to do barbell curls, go for it. Once you've been lifting for a few months, you can move onto something like a split, and incorporate more isolations and move onto more hypertrophy based routines.

You'll often hear many bodybuilders complaining about how lifting heavy compounds 3 times a week in low reps won't get you big, and how you have to do a 6 day split and spend 3 hours a day in the gym. You really don't. Lifting three times a week will make you bigger and stronger, you won't see a small powerlifter. Hell, that was how Arnold originally got started, using Reg Parks 5x5, he started powerlifting.

Excellent places to start include:
http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wi..._Strength_Wiki
http://4chanfit.wikia.com/wiki/Harsh's_Worksheet_(WIP)
Arbite is offline   Reply With Quote