Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 11-25-2012, 12:23 PM   #1
iPhanner
iPhanner

Crossplay Prep/Weight Loss

Hello to the Cosplay Community. As you may know, this is a Weight Loss post. A little bit of myself...

I am 18 years old currently, and weigh in approximately 235 lbs. I am 5"5-5"6, and Asian mix. I don't look my weight, trust me. I look like I SHOULD be around 160lbs.

I am planning to cross-play as just a Korean Male Popstar, and in order to do so I have to be 75 lbs less than I am now.

I had had enough of my overweight issues. I WANT to DO something about it, but there's so many things that limit me, and it brings down my motivation bar.

I have no job, no money. I am a recent high school graduate so I am starting my Spring Term on Jan. 22nd. It's a plus for me to go to college since I won't be eating or indulging on 'school grubs' like they served back at the districts. There's a Subways in my college, and I'm not staying in the dorms. [Hope that Freshmen 15 doesn't count for me negatively.]

I have never lost so much weight in so little time, but I want to think BIG on the weight loss.

My main goal: 75lbs from now until 2013 May 31st. [Going to A-kon 2013 in Dallas, TX.]
Current Goal: Getting rid of 35 lbs so I'm not over the 200 range anymore.

...Please help me.
It's not only for the crossplay.
I hate looking at myself in the mirror so much, or not being able to shop for clothes that aren't size 16 jeans or a XXL shirt.
:/
What can I do?

Thank you for reading this. >__ <; Appreciate your time.
iPhanner is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-26-2012, 01:00 AM   #2
Sokar

75lbs in by May is not overly that hard, if you have the right plan and dedication. I have cut people down 200lbs without much of a problem. It all comes down to your own dedication. So since you say that you have no money or job I am assuming you do not have access to a gym? That's not a problem really just want to make sure. That leave you with body weight exercises mainly which are very highly effective, but most people tend to disregard them. If you would like I could send you some very basic work outs that I give my clients to do. These usually include no equipment or as little as a chair from the dining room. Let me know if your interested...
Sokar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2012, 11:34 PM   #3
Lemon-Squeezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhanner View Post
Hello to the Cosplay Community. As you may know, this is a Weight Loss post. A little bit of myself...

I am 18 years old currently, and weigh in approximately 235 lbs. I am 5"5-5"6, and Asian mix. I don't look my weight, trust me. I look like I SHOULD be around 160lbs.

I am planning to cross-play as just a Korean Male Popstar, and in order to do so I have to be 75 lbs less than I am now.

I had had enough of my overweight issues. I WANT to DO something about it, but there's so many things that limit me, and it brings down my motivation bar.
Besides not having a job, what is limiting you? And you don't need money to lose weight lol. Though it does make it easier to buy your own food, it's far from impossible.

Quote:
I have no job, no money. I am a recent high school graduate so I am starting my Spring Term on Jan. 22nd. It's a plus for me to go to college since I won't be eating or indulging on 'school grubs' like they served back at the districts. There's a Subways in my college, and I'm not staying in the dorms. [Hope that Freshmen 15 doesn't count for me negatively.]
Not to be a debbie downer, but college food is just as bad lol. But are your planning on getting a job while you go to school? (I'm just curious as to how you will pay for subway. Will someone give you money?)

Quote:
I have never lost so much weight in so little time, but I want to think BIG on the weight loss.

My main goal: 75lbs from now until 2013 May 31st. [Going to A-kon 2013 in Dallas, TX.]
Small goals are great way to keep on track, so it's a good idea to focus on losing 35 pounds. But anyway, you really shouldn't lose more than 2 pounds per week (You may see more in the beginning, and this is totally normal). Anything more than that is not safe.

Quote:
...Please help me.
I hate looking at myself in the mirror so much, or not being able to shop for clothes that aren't size 16 jeans or a XXL shirt.
What can I do?

But anyway, on to actually advice. For every person I have met ever, that lost serious weight the only way to do it was the burn more calories than what you eat. As I'm no doctor I'm not going to tell you how many calories you should, other than it's never safe to eat less than 1200 in a day. It really helps to keep track of what you're eating to stay on well... track lol
A site I personally like is called myfitnesspal.com
But make sure when you log you food, whether it's online or just on paper, you are taking accurate measurements. You'd be surprised at how much you're actually eating versus the recommended serving size.

It's not fun, fast, and it's really hard to notice the change at first. I recommend taking before and after pictures. I seriously couldn't tell the difference until I compared some and it was like whoa!

Remember that this is a lifestyle change. You cannot "diet" get the body you want and go back to your ways! It's not scary though, if you succeed in losing all the weigh you want you'll have problem gotten used to eating smaller and better.

Oh and most importantly, exercise! Seriously, you may get to the weight you desire but you will look 1000x better if you build some muscle! You don't have the look like the Hulk when you build muscles either lol
But a toned stomach looks much better than a flat flabby one.
(And no, you don't need a gym membership to exercise. Go for a run, buy small hand weights and use a dvd! Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred and Ripped in 30 are pretty god imo)

Kastucon 2015
Austrian Succession Spain - Hetalia
Ryuko (Maybe) - Kill la Kill
Flora (Maybe) - Professor Layton

Otakon 2015
Ryuko - Kill la Kill
Austrian Succession Spain - Hetalia
Flora - Professor Layton
Sasha Blouse - Attack on Titan
Lemon-Squeezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2012, 10:28 PM   #4
Vexon Auroa

@Soka would you mind to send me some advice i'm very self concious about my weight for cosplay and need to try and shed a few pounds as well..it would be very helpful as i have tried a couple of things that have not worked for me
Unread 12-10-2012, 11:50 PM   #5
VegaSailor

You've probably already heard this but a good place to start is reducing your or cutting out completely any junk food, and by that I mean foods that tast good, but don't add a whole lot of nutrition to your diet. I know it's hard to keep a nutritional diet ona budget, since things like fast foods and candy bars are easy and cheap to grab. But something as small as replacing a sugary. caloric soda or smoothie with water can make a small improvement.

Maybe you can start there and work your way up to cutting out more junk food? As Lemon Squezzy suggested maybe keep a food log, so then you are more aware of what you are taking in and burning, and where you can make healthier changes (i.e. rosted chicken instead of fried, an apple instead of a bag of M&Ms, etc.).

I know easier said and done. But for 6 six weeks during lent all I did was cut out all junk food from my diet and I lost about 10 pounds. I know that's not everything that you want, but it's a start, and adding exercise may help with the rest.
VegaSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2012, 04:52 PM   #6
Sokar

@Vexon I will send you a pm here soon. I am glad to help any who ask.
Sokar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2013, 11:44 AM   #7
LittleHobbit13

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhanner View Post

...Please help me.
What can I do?

The very, very, very, very first thing I want to say is "thank you" for not going out on the Internet and finding some crazy weight loss scheme and rolling with it. In my opinion, you're already headed in the right direction!

Firstly, from my own "freshman 15" experience at college, STAY THE F AWAY FROM THE SODA. It's hard, because it's as delicious as it is deadly. Soda is widely available on college campuses, but simply cutting just soda out of your diet is a huge step. One of the points during my diet that I lost weight to fastest was toward the beginning right after I told myself "no more soda". Also, be mindful of what you eat at Subway, and anywhere that advertises "healthy" foods for that matter. They may be cheaper than other places, but they might not be as cheap as you'd think. Just a plain, nothing-on-it 6" Spicy Italian on plain bread is still roughly 400+ calories. Just one slice of a large pepperoni pizza from Papa Johns is well over 300 calories. The hardest part of my diet was learning how many calories are really in some of the things I ate. You know those little oatmeal & creme sandwich cookies? Those little bastards are 330 calories a piece! They're not even that big! Talk about your reality checks! I highly recommend LoseIt. It's an app several of my friends and I use to lose weight. It's essentially just like weight watchers, except FREE. Also it counts calories instead of giving you points. I think that's better for you in the long run, because then you can look at a nutrition label and know what you're reading instead of needing it to be translated into points. You also see how things add up.

I agree with the other poster about the small goals. It's good to set a long term goal, but that big goal is made way easier when you break it down into small goals. "Lose 35 pounds to get down out of the 200s" is a good first goal. Next it could be "Lose 10lbs this month". These goals are very reasonable, and yet at the same time you're succeeding with them, you're succeeding at your big goal.

But to finish up, here is the best piece of advice I can give you: love your body. Even if you don't like your weight. Even if you don't like your shape. The worst thing you can do to yourself is hate yourself. Trust me. I was overweight myself, and I know how hard it can be to see what you see in the mirror. The weight loss road is going to be long, and it's going to be hard. I won't lie to you about that. It was one of the hardest things I've ever done in my life. However, as I said at the beginning of this post, you're already on the right track because you want to do it right. Dieting the right way may take longer and it may seem harder, but it'll stick with you after you're finished. Heck, I'm drinking a soda as I write this post, and I had 2 hot dogs for dinner last night. You can still eat the foods you love, but you'll learn how to do it in moderation and compensate for the calories in other areas.

But seriously. Love your body. There are enough people in the world to hate you for stupid reasons. Don't hate yourself for a stupid reason.
Gundam Wing: Duo Maxwell
Adventure Time: Flame Princess
Sabriel: Sabriel
Chihayafuru : Chihaya (red/blue tournament outfit)
LittleHobbit13 is offline   Reply With Quote