Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3828 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 11-26-2012, 02:54 PM   #59836
dx7879
King of the Pirates!

I almost never take naps, but think I may need to today...Suppose to go to the movies later tonight too, and right now I'm exhausted and my vision is slightly blurred :/ Lol, not enough sleep this weekend due to a convention XD Also woke up too early this morning...
dx7879 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-26-2012, 03:02 PM   #59837
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny_dreadful View Post
Coworker just asked me if I like Taylor Swift.

And lo the lord did say, give Country Music fans their own pure Lolita-figure of perfection. And it was Taylor Swift.

I have since lost the article, but someone with a much better vocabulary and more brain cells then myself wrote an article discussing how Taylor Swift is this Lolita (not the fashion. If you need to look it up make sure no ones watching)figure of the perfect Virgin Christian girl and how that plays out in her music and specifically music videos like the one I linked. It discusses that she's not really a bad person but how her music and the videos put out are harmful as a whole.

Like the 'me versus her' mentality of being the pure virginal blonde girl versus the promiscuous dark haired vixen.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2012, 03:15 PM   #59838
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium Flower View Post
I have since lost the article, but someone with a much better vocabulary and more brain cells then myself wrote an article discussing how Taylor Swift is this Lolita (not the fashion. If you need to look it up make sure no ones watching)figure of the perfect Virgin Christian girl and how that plays out in her music and specifically music videos like the one I linked. It discusses that she's not really a bad person but how her music and the videos put out are harmful as a whole.

Like the 'me versus her' mentality of being the pure virginal blonde girl versus the promiscuous dark haired vixen.
This article talks about her apparent loathing of hipsters, but is more interesting for bringing up the "outsider" mentality she keeps harping on. She's tall, thin, blonde, many people consider her to be very beautiful, she's massively successful and popular, and she's STILL staying with this "ooh I'm not cool enough, ooh poor little me, ooh won't somebody please accept me for who I am" BS in so much of her music. Honestly I feel bad, her self esteem must be so shitty if she still honestly believes she's on the outside looking in, but I cannot get with that. I just do not have the patience to listen to her whining about wanting to be cool and accepted.

Plus I just don't like her songs.
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
penny_dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2012, 03:43 PM   #59839
UsakoLuna
Ugg McMuffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnarCHris View Post
We have a Hello Kitty toaster, because of course we do, my wife is part Pixie after all.
Meghan has a hello kitty water cooler. She fills it with vodka.

Oil change has turned into new tires. Which will take an hour and a half.
So I'm sitting in the tire place eating bugles and listening to Ellen. I'd rather be watching Downton Abbey and in my pjs. I could walk to the Tuesdays across the parking lot but I hate eating alone.
My Cat's Tumblr
Avatar drawn by the awesome Lithium Flower
UsakoLuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2012, 03:48 PM   #59840
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Quote:
This article talks about her apparent loathing of hipsters, but is more interesting for bringing up the "outsider" mentality she keeps harping on. She's tall, thin, blonde, many people consider her to be very beautiful, she's massively successful and popular, and she's STILL staying with this "ooh I'm not cool enough, ooh poor little me, ooh won't somebody please accept me for who I am" BS in so much of her music. Honestly I feel bad, her self esteem must be so shitty if she still honestly believes she's on the outside looking in, but I cannot get with that. I just do not have the patience to listen to her whining about wanting to be cool and accepted.

In terms of her songs, the one song I like is this one done for the Hunger Games called 'Safe and Sound'. Mostly because it sounds absolutely nothing like what she sounds like in her own songs. It's featuring another group called The Civil Wars and the music video is pretty much her walking around with no eyeliner on and chapped lips wearing a virginal white dress and looking pouty, but the song is actually pretty nice.

I personally see that 'outsider' persona of Taylor Swift to be a fabrication. To me I find it this marketing tool to sell her songs to the high school girls who are mad that big breasted girls in shorts are 'taking their boyfriends' with sexuality. Her songs are about being the good girl versus the bad girl or the good girl versus a bad guy. It's always singing a song to the 'good girls' out there who just wear big glasses and tee shirts, like a tumblr meme gone wrong.

I wonder if she really see's herself as this outsider character or if she's just been told to sell herself as such and is just too damn naive to know what's going on.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○

Unread 11-26-2012, 04:03 PM   #59841
UsakoLuna
Ugg McMuffin

I'm bored. I didn't being a book and wifi on my kindle is off so I can't sync my current book with my app.
My Cat's Tumblr
Unread 11-26-2012, 04:47 PM   #59842
SakuraxTsubasa
a KarenCube!

Quote:
Yup. I don't keep up with celebrities and stuff so I have no idea who these people really are, what they say, etc.
But I do know that when there's a Taylor Swift song on the radio I generally don't like it.
SakuraxTsubasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2012, 04:53 PM   #59843
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

But Taylor Swift is still better than Lana del Rey.
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
Unread 11-26-2012, 05:13 PM   #59844
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Quote:
But Taylor Swift is still better than Lana del Rey.
What's a Lana del Rey....
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○

Unread 11-26-2012, 05:22 PM   #59845
UsakoLuna
Ugg McMuffin

Nooooo! My battery is dying.

I'm just to post this because
My Cat's Tumblr
Unread 11-26-2012, 05:23 PM   #59846
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

Quote:
Ugh, don't get me started.
Unread 11-26-2012, 05:24 PM   #59847
SakuraxTsubasa
a KarenCube!

Quote:
That's what I thought...

In other news, sign language is possibly the most frustrating and stressful thing ever.
Unread 11-26-2012, 05:27 PM   #59848
UsakoLuna
Ugg McMuffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakuraxTsubasa View Post
That's what I thought...

In other news, sign language is possibly the most frustrating and stressful thing ever.
It's hard - especially when you're learning. Try practicing at all times. Sign at your family and friends. I got everyone at work signing "bathroom" when I was taking ASL. (Wave the sign for "T". We probably do it wrong, we kind of wave frantically but it beats screaming "I gotta pee" across the store)
My Cat's Tumblr
Unread 11-26-2012, 05:31 PM   #59849
SakuraxTsubasa
a KarenCube!

I make the most ridiculous faces ever, because my hands are like "No I won't make that shape" and for some reason K is really hard for me.
Which sucks because my name begins with K.
You're right though. I spent half the bus ride home and a little time before leaving for dance practicing the alphabet and some of the questions we learned. I love the sign that means "who?"
(and yeah I'm pretty sure that's the right sign. She didn't formally teach us it but our teacher signs while talking and it looked like that....)

And speaking of my name, I hate it when people pronounce my name "care-en." I have always said "Kah-ren." WHAT'S SO HARD ABOUT THAT.
Unread 11-26-2012, 05:37 PM   #59850
UsakoLuna
Ugg McMuffin

I hated finger spelling my name - it's 9 letters
I also can't properly make a "Y" thanks to years of beating up my wrists (and mild arthritis)

My professor got so mad at me.
On the final he signed "we all live in a yellow submarine."
I wrote "yellow underwater bus" because the sign for submarine is literally "underwater"+ "bus"
I got full credit
My Cat's Tumblr