Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Cosplay Suggestions

Unread 11-23-2012, 01:04 PM   #1
AquriusDragon

One Piece fans, I need your opinions!

I tend to get chatty so I'll try to be super blunt with this. I'm cosplaying as Luffy for a small genderbended Straw Hat group and I'm having a hard time making a decision about the shoes. We really want these cosplays to come off as cute/girly and a little bit funny, in true Straw Hat style we don't want it to be taken too seriously.

So here's the shoe issue. I think it would be adorable to do wedge(made of cork or a similar looking material) type sandals instead of the flat sandals Luffy wears. Also, I'm a tiny woman, which means the rest of me is proportionately small and I really prefer to have at least a little bit of a heel on my shoes if I'm cosplaying as a lady. My worry is that instead of people looking at the shoes and thinking "What an adorable way to do chick Luffy's shoes!" they'll think "She was clearly too lazy to get genuine Luffy shoes."

So to all of you One Piece fans, if you saw a genderbended Luffy cosplayer wearing something other than the traditional flat flip flop, would you think it was horribly wrong? Feel free to be totally honest! Thanks for your time! <3
AquriusDragon is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-26-2012, 09:26 PM   #2
AquriusDragon

28 views, bumping.

"You're over thinking this, nobody looks at his shoes" is also an acceptable response! =P
Unread 12-01-2012, 02:54 AM   #3
Uerria
Costumer

Well, I do think that when Luffy's wear sneakers, it's lazy... XD; But I think wedges are adorable, and as long as they look like a girlified version of the original, it should be fine, like it gets the point across. I don't really like it when the genderbent version looks like the original, except with boobs.

With genderbent versions, there's always room to be creative, because people are less harsh about judging. :O IMO.

Katsucon 2014

Catherine - Catherine
Robin - Teen Titans
Officer Caitlyn - League of Legends
Sven - Frozen
Uerria is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2012, 04:45 AM   #4
Drazhar

I find it hard to offer an opinion without seeing the rest of genderbend costume I'm afraid.

I would tend to lean towards the sandals, but I can't imagine walking in heels either.

I say post what you've got thus far and I'll offer a further opinion. If you can make the wedges LOOK like they're similar in construction material to the sandals, then I imagine very few will complain.

Also, let's face it, you're gonna get X complaints to begin with because you're being a "chick Luffy" instead of just crossplaying.
Drazhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2012, 02:36 PM   #5
AquriusDragon

Thanks! Any suggestions are helpful. I'm trying to hunt down a thong wedge sandal that doesn't have a million straps on it. Also though this pair doesn't have identical straps to Luffy's, I like the sporty style of them and they look comfortable. http://www.amazon.com/Soda-Womens-Rollo-Black-Sandal/dp/B007CNZUWQ/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=34V67KAJKGXZ R&coliid=I1JSCRXJGXKR25

Thus far I don't have any other pieces other than the hat, which I still need to alter so it has the red band. I do plan on making the costume stylized. I'm doing short jean shorts. The vest is either going to be super fitted or I'm going to tie the end of it to make it into a belly shirt. This a group cosplay, we have an Usopp and Zoro and they are also going to be stylized. We didn't want to just be chicks wearing the characters' outfits.
Unread 12-10-2012, 07:55 PM   #6
dx7879
King of the Pirates!

I don't think anyone will think you're lazy if you don't have the Luffy sandals. Honestly I think those off of amazon would work great too for a more feminine version of Luffy's sandals too ^.^

Lots of Luffy's I see normally don't have the right sandals anyways, so I don't think you need to worry too much either
dx7879 is offline   Reply With Quote