Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > The Orange Box

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 79 votes, 4.99 average.
Unread 07-26-2012, 06:36 PM   #1801
Caerix
Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookathere View Post
I'm cosplaying the Engineer to AnimeFest in Dallas, and I'm completely stuck on the wrench. It seems like the easiest prop to make, but I haven't any idea what to make it from or where to begin. My main questions regarding this are as follows.

What materials would be practical and easy to get?
What materials would be easy to actually make the prop with?
What materials would be lightweight enough to feasibly carry, but durable enough not to break?

I need to know ASAP, so it'd be great if someone could get back to me with some suggestions or a tutorial.
Use a real one? ._. They aren't oversized like Engie's but that be a lot easier to get, and it'd look more realistic. I'm pretty sure the con wouldn't consider it a weapon, unless they're overly strict with that sorta thing.
~Zebra (Vocaloid) - 90%
~Zoey (L4D) - 75%
Caerix is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-30-2012, 01:36 AM   #1802
Colypso
No, no, no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caerix View Post
Use a real one? ._. They aren't oversized like Engie's but that be a lot easier to get, and it'd look more realistic. I'm pretty sure the con wouldn't consider it a weapon, unless they're overly strict with that sorta thing.
I agree. I went to AnimeNEXT this past June, and I was some guy dressed as Engie and he was carrying around the tool box and a real wrench the entire day. So, I'm pretty sure con staff won't get on your case for it. Especially if you look at some other props people carry, a wrench should be fine.

Current Project;

Lady!Thor; Avengers 10/100%
Colypso is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2012, 11:50 AM   #1803
borzou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colypso View Post
I agree. I went to AnimeNEXT this past June, and I was some guy dressed as Engie and he was carrying around the tool box and a real wrench the entire day. So, I'm pretty sure con staff won't get on your case for it. Especially if you look at some other props people carry, a wrench should be fine.
In my experience, con staff have considered the engy's metal wrench as a weapon and have asked me to take it back to my hotel room every time. Granted I'm only carrying it and not swinging it around. There are exceptions though. Check the convention's prop rules to be on the safe side.

EDIT: I guess you could get the real wrench and then cast it.

Last edited by borzou : 08-02-2012 at 11:58 AM.
Unread 11-25-2012, 04:34 PM   #1804
FevrierMai

Hello there! I'm new to TF2 as a game, but I've been in love with its 60's aesthetic and plot for some time. I recently decided to put together a femscout cosplay. Through dumb luck I managed to find the skirt, hat, and socks for under 20$ over the course of two days. The headphones and shoes will probably be the hardest part...
Unread 11-26-2012, 11:36 PM   #1805
InkRaven
Heh, that was fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colypso View Post
Hey, I have a question. I am planning on making myself a Red Spy cosplay but I can't find any cheap suits that even look like his red suit. Do you think it would be easier to go to a thrift store, buy a suit that looks the most like it and then dye it the red or just find fabric that looks like it and attempt to make the suit myself? Thanks ^_^;
In my limited experience, the best way of getting the color for Spy's coat (I made a fem!Spy coat, that uh, isn't quite finished yet...) is to take a cornstalk color and use red dye, but LESS than you would use to make an actual red. I was dying 3 yards of wool, so using only the one pack gave it only a red tinge - I ended up re-dying it later to build up the color and get closer to a red instead of a brown (I used 2 packets since wool doesn't take plant-fiber dye as readily as what it's intended for). then again, I was using Dylon, which has a tendency to dye light since the one packet contains a smaller amount of dye than the normal Rit packets do.

As a general rule when dying something like this, be sure to read the care instructions for the suit/whatever fabric. The wool i was using was dry-clean only, so I did all of the dying by hand and with the water temperature regulated c: And of course, steam-shrunk as well!

Current Cosplays
Major Ocelot - Metal Gear Solid 3 | Revolver Ocelot - Metal Gear Solid | RED fem!Spy - Team Fortress 2 | Footie Pajama Commander Shepard - Mass Effect
Cosplay in Progress
Leonardo Da Vinci - Assassins Creed 2 | Major Ocelot(Revamp) - Metal Gear Solid 3
Future Cosplays:
Braig - Kingdom Hearts | Sheik - LoZ (Brawl version)
Retired Cosplays
Colonel Mustard - Clue board game | The Boss - Metal Gear Solid 3 | Xigbar (Normal & Tweedle Dee) - Kingdom Hearts
InkRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2013, 04:35 AM   #1806
Whaaambulance
Detail Enforcer

Holy Necro Batman! Hey everybody, long time watch, first time poster. Plan on cosplaying RED Medic eventually, but having trouble with the actual costume I;E Lab coat, pants, gloves, ect. Since I'm a stickler for detail, anyone know where I can find the most accurate versions without paying out the butt? Also, any ideas for props besides weps (Like, say, medkits or something)?
Whaaambulance is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2013, 01:02 PM   #1807
Scarecrow1992
Enthusiast of the Obscure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whaaambulance View Post
Holy Necro Batman! Hey everybody, long time watch, first time poster. Plan on cosplaying RED Medic eventually, but having trouble with the actual costume I;E Lab coat, pants, gloves, ect. Since I'm a stickler for detail, anyone know where I can find the most accurate versions without paying out the butt? Also, any ideas for props besides weps (Like, say, medkits or something)?
For the basic outfit, the pants and shirt/tie should be easy. The gloves should be simple to find too, but the coat is a modified lab coat and will be the hardest part of the entire costume (Yes, even more so than the medigun). Unfortunately to be very accurate, you either have to have one commissioned or try to make one yourself with a modified pattern.

Now for Medic-centric props aside from weps, how about objectives like the Blu intel? Hats and misc. items can be done too (Archimedes is a must for Medic). Some of these are very easy to make (Ze Goggles in particular I've once made from cardboard and some old science goggles).

Keep in mind, I'm speaking as a Sniper/Engineer/Soldier cosplayer, and I'm only going by what I've seen in the past from other sources, but feel free to PM me or anything if you want more detail on these things. Best of luck!
Ash Williams (Evil Dead)
Wolverine (Marvel Comics)
Mankind (WWE)
Ellis (Left 4 Dead 2)
Mr. Van Driessen (Beavis and Butthead)
The Riddler
The Undertaker (WWE)
Mike Schmidt (Five Nights at Freddy's)

Working on:
Captain 'Murica (20%)
Leatherface (0%)

Planned:
Foxy (FNAF)
Beach Bear (Rockafire Explosion)
Macho Man Randy Savage

Scarecrow1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2013, 11:52 PM   #1808
Whaaambulance
Detail Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow1992 View Post
For the basic outfit, the pants and shirt/tie should be easy. The gloves should be simple to find too, but the coat is a modified lab coat and will be the hardest part of the entire costume (Yes, even more so than the medigun). Unfortunately to be very accurate, you either have to have one commissioned or try to make one yourself with a modified pattern.

Now for Medic-centric props aside from weps, how about objectives like the Blu intel? Hats and misc. items can be done too (Archimedes is a must for Medic). Some of these are very easy to make (Ze Goggles in particular I've once made from cardboard and some old science goggles).

Keep in mind, I'm speaking as a Sniper/Engineer/Soldier cosplayer, and I'm only going by what I've seen in the past from other sources, but feel free to PM me or anything if you want more detail on these things. Best of luck!
Wow! Thanks! Made a trip to Goodwill and picked up a perfect tie, I'm making more and more progress on my medigun, and, I've been looking around, instead of an actual lab coat, it seems a chefs jacket would be easier to modify into an accurate version. And thanks for the prop ideas, I can't believe I never thought of Archimedes!
Unread 10-01-2013, 03:11 PM   #1809
Scarecrow1992

Quote:
Wow! Thanks! Made a trip to Goodwill and picked up a perfect tie, I'm making more and more progress on my medigun, and, I've been looking around, instead of an actual lab coat, it seems a chefs jacket would be easier to modify into an accurate version. And thanks for the prop ideas, I can't believe I never thought of Archimedes!
I can't believe I never thought of a chef's coat. Archimedes should be easy, just find a dove plushie or even a generic white bird plush. For the medigun, I assume you're using PVC?

Glad to see things are working out, man. I myself should try Medic somewhere down the line (My best class in game), but I've always been a Sniper cosplayer.
Ash Williams (Evil Dead)
Mankind (WWE)
Ellis (Left 4 Dead 2)
The Riddler
The Undertaker (WWE)

Working on:
Captain 'Murica (20%)
Leatherface (0%)

Planned:
Foxy (FNAF)
Macho Man Randy Savage

Unread 10-02-2013, 09:31 AM   #1810
Whaaambulance
Detail Enforcer

Quote:
I can't believe I never thought of a chef's coat. Archimedes should be easy, just find a dove plushie or even a generic white bird plush. For the medigun, I assume you're using PVC?

Glad to see things are working out, man. I myself should try Medic somewhere down the line (My best class in game), but I've always been a Sniper cosplayer.
The clothing parts are almost finished, I have a lab coat my dad gave to me that I've modified a little to emulate a double breasted one. Most of the other stuff was picked up from Goodwill and the like. Still need to get working on my Medigun, but I have most of it planned out already, and I still have to build the Medipack, too. I'll probably post WIP pics later today or tomorrow. Thanks a TON for the help!
Unread 10-23-2013, 11:44 PM   #1811
Scarecrow1992

Quote:
The clothing parts are almost finished, I have a lab coat my dad gave to me that I've modified a little to emulate a double breasted one. Most of the other stuff was picked up from Goodwill and the like. Still need to get working on my Medigun, but I have most of it planned out already, and I still have to build the Medipack, too. I'll probably post WIP pics later today or tomorrow. Thanks a TON for the help!
No trouble at all! I can't wait to see how it turns out.

Well, guys, another update, more ideas for hats and the like, one of which I already have for cosplay purposes (Hong Kong Cone/Rice Hat). My Sniper redo is almost done, since I am painting my kukri and finishing up my rifle. Plus I ordered some patches to come in the mail for my shirt, so it's a matter of getting off my lazy butt and getting to work.
Ash Williams (Evil Dead)
Mankind (WWE)
Ellis (Left 4 Dead 2)
The Riddler
The Undertaker (WWE)

Working on:
Captain 'Murica (20%)
Leatherface (0%)

Planned:
Foxy (FNAF)
Macho Man Randy Savage

Unread 10-24-2013, 07:33 PM   #1812
Whaaambulance
Detail Enforcer

Oh wow did I totally derp out on this. Still no pics, sorry, but I'm busy for the whoooooooole weekend except sunday, so maybe I might be able to get some pictures then. Don't count on it. I've also got a friend who's decided to cosplay the sniper and for some reason HIS ENTIRE OUTFIT IS SO MUCH MORE DIFFICULT. I can't find a good shirt or pants or hat at ALL. Any help on that would be awesome!

-------------------------------------------------------------------
In Progress Cosplays:
Red Medic (Team Fortress 2) - 90% Complete - Hiatus

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Planned Cosplays:
Thomas (Daft Punk)
The Spine (Steam Powered Giraffe)
Unread 10-24-2013, 09:58 PM   #1813
Zorb

So a group of friends wants to do TF2 for Halloween, and up until today I was busy with midterms. Hoping I can join them in time, but I only have a few days...

My only choice at this point is the scout, since his weapon is super easy. Problem is, I don't know where or how to make a headset like his, or most of his other items.

My apologies. I've never made a post like this one. But I don't have time time to dig through 100+ pages, so if anyone who has read any info that could possibly help me out here, it would be much appreciated.
Zorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2013, 10:36 AM   #1814
Scarecrow1992

Quote:
Oh wow did I totally derp out on this. Still no pics, sorry, but I'm busy for the whoooooooole weekend except sunday, so maybe I might be able to get some pictures then. Don't count on it. I've also got a friend who's decided to cosplay the sniper and for some reason HIS ENTIRE OUTFIT IS SO MUCH MORE DIFFICULT. I can't find a good shirt or pants or hat at ALL. Any help on that would be awesome!
Speaking as a Sniper, the shirt personally has been the easiest part, since I already had a red shirt. However, blue shirts might be easier to find at thrift stores/Goodwill or in general. Also, blue jeans could work for Blu Sniper, but for Red, I have khakis. The hat should be entirely up to the cosplayer himself. I personally like going to a hat other than the stock (Master's Yellow Belt, Bloke's Bucket Hat, etc.) or maybe an allclass hat (BMOC, Bill's Hat, Towering Pillar of Hats) as well as some misc. items (Koala Compact, Sir. Hootsalot, Villain's Veil).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorb View Post
So a group of friends wants to do TF2 for Halloween, and up until today I was busy with midterms. Hoping I can join them in time, but I only have a few days...

My only choice at this point is the scout, since his weapon is super easy. Problem is, I don't know where or how to make a headset like his, or most of his other items.

My apologies. I've never made a post like this one. But I don't have time time to dig through 100+ pages, so if anyone who has read any info that could possibly help me out here, it would be much appreciated.
For my brother's headset (He is cosplaying a Blu Scout with me) I made his headset from an old pair of headphones that don't work anymore, took off one of the earcups, and now I have to paint the other earcup and add the mic (A bit of a wire hanger and some foam for the tip). Although if that's a problem, some of Scout's hats don't have the headset, like Ye Olde Baker Boy or the Batter's Helmet/Bonk Helm. Troublemaker's Tossle is a good choice too.

For the other things, I assume you mean the dog tags and bag? Dog tags should be easy to find online, and the bag I'm using for my brother is a camera tripod bag (Same shape and it fits his bat and Scattergun perfectly). The part I'm stuck on is the hands. I know it's a kind of tape, but I'm not sure how to apply it while giving him full use of his hands.
Ash Williams (Evil Dead)
Mankind (WWE)
Ellis (Left 4 Dead 2)
The Riddler
The Undertaker (WWE)

Working on:
Captain 'Murica (20%)
Leatherface (0%)

Planned:
Foxy (FNAF)
Macho Man Randy Savage

Last edited by Scarecrow1992 : 10-26-2013 at 10:40 AM.
Unread 10-27-2013, 01:35 PM   #1815
Zorb

Quote:
For the other things, I assume you mean the dog tags and bag? Dog tags should be easy to find online, and the bag I'm using for my brother is a camera tripod bag (Same shape and it fits his bat and Scattergun perfectly). The part I'm stuck on is the hands. I know it's a kind of tape, but I'm not sure how to apply it while giving him full use of his hands.
Yeah, that's what I was referring to. Doubt I'll find a bag in time, so I'll need to reuse my Desmond bag from Assassin's Creed. Found some dog tags, but still have to worry about his headset & baseball bat. Haven't been able to find any foam bats or something else as a base. But I'm gonna stop at home depot and see if they have any of those big ear muffs.

Thanks for the advise!

As far as hands go, a friend told me tensor bandages, and then hockey tape over that would work.
Zorb is offline   Reply With Quote