Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Unread 11-28-2012, 03:31 PM   #1
Dyne

Seeking a cosplayer's perspective

Hello everyone.

I need a little advice. I am looking for a see-through blindfold that would fit around the eyes in a similar fashion that a headband does around a head except I want to be able to still see through my side of the blindfold. I don't cosplay but I thought a cosplayer might have run into the same problem and found an answer. I am looking for one but I don't really know where to get one. I don't mind purchasing them but I didn't see any on the cosplay websites that I was on. I would be really grateful for any helpful advice.

I apologize ahead of time if this isn't in the correct section but since I don't cosplay - it doesn't seem to fit anywhere.

If not, that's ok, thanks for at least reading.
Dyne is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-28-2012, 06:21 PM   #2
verdatum
Extremely registered user

You're in the right place, though you might get some better advice from the magician (or "illusionist"...whatever) community, though they often want you purchase something to learn the secret. Thirteen Steps to Mentalism by Tony Corinda has an entire chapter on using blindfolds.

The main technique used in cosplay is to stretch (usually black) nylon fabric (like the kind used to make tights) over a frame. You might be able to work up such a rig hiding behind a thin slit in a fabric blindfold, but it wouldn't stand up to scrutiny.

On rigid masks, we use privacy film over clear sheet plastic. One variety is a reflective one-way mirror effect, another is a dark "blind-man shades" effect. I don't think this helps you though.

Elastic or cotton bandages tend to be pretty see-through. Again, under scrutiny, one can tell that the eyes are still visible. Cheesecloth also works. So does burlap, but it's not terribly comfortable. Lighting is important here. The brighter the environment you're working in, the heavier you can obscure your vision.

If you wrap a genuine blindfold poorly, you can get by well enough just by peaking down along your nose. You just gotta know your environment and be careful if trying to walk around.

If you don't mind spending money, you can use video glasses such as Vuzix wrap combined with a small camera. I don't know if there is a wireless model on the market yet, so you'd have to figure out a discrete way to run the wire down your neck. You can build your own wire by soldering the connectors to speaker wire (the thin wire used to make electromagnets) and it'll be barely visible.

Hope this helps!
Unread 11-28-2012, 06:25 PM   #3
nathancarter
Victor Voyeur Photography

Quote:
Originally Posted by verdatum View Post
Elastic or cotton bandages tend to be pretty see-through. Again, under scrutiny, one can tell that the eyes are still visible. Cheesecloth also works. So does burlap, but it's not terribly comfortable. Lighting is important here. The brighter the environment you're working in, the heavier you can obscure your vision.
Of course, the flip side is that if the environment is dim, it's harder for others to notice that the blindfold isn't completely opaque.

http://flickr.com/nathancarter
https://www.facebook.com/VictorVoyeur
MetroCon - CONjure - Dragon Con - MegaCon
nathancarter is offline   Reply With Quote