Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Unread 11-28-2012, 10:52 PM   #1
AmatureManga
Beginner Cosplayer

Zero Mask Molding Help

Ok so i plan to make a Zero mask from Code Geass, but the last time i attempted this i used paper mache (since i dont have access to fiberglass and ive never used fiberglass before) which was a failure because the mask started warp out of shape. So this time i want to use molding clay but i've never used molding clay before so i need to know a few things:

1. What's a good molding clay i could use?
2. Will i need apply anything else besides molding clay to it?
3. Will molding clay make the mask nice and smooth like i want it to be?
4. Should i apply it to the inside of the mask as well?
5. If i apply it to the inside of the mask will i be able to glue an acrylic dome to the inside of the mask for the visor?
AmatureManga is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-29-2012, 12:06 AM   #2
dbchan
Minty McNomNoms

I would suggest making it out of craft foam pieces ( or wonderflex, or worbla, or anything semi rigid that comes in a sheet, really) , heat shaped around the existing visor. Using clay for something with such simple, flat pieces and sharp angles would be unnecessarily hard and heavy.

Blonadine.net -
Facebook me!

"Nothin but the rain."
dbchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2012, 12:17 AM   #3
AmatureManga
Beginner Cosplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbchan View Post
I would suggest making it out of craft foam pieces ( or wonderflex, or worbla, or anything semi rigid that comes in a sheet, really) , heat shaped around the existing visor. Using clay for something with such simple, flat pieces and sharp angles would be unnecessarily hard and heavy.
well the last time i tried thermoforming it wasn't good at all, i even cut myself trying to do it. I was planning on using a pepakura file for the main component of the mask the main reason i was thinking of using molding clay was so i could give a nice and smooth and easy to paint surface. Any other tips?
Unread 11-29-2012, 02:02 AM   #4
StabbityBlkMage
I eat emo kids.

I don't know exactly what you mean by molding clay, since most of the clays I've been using for making molds are wax based and are NOT appropriate for directly wearing. Maybe you mean apoxie sculpt or other hard air drying clays?

I've used it to make vac bucks stuff and it's really strong and easy to use. Just wet your hands or smoothing tool and it gets pretty smooth. Then to get even smoother you can use a fine sanding sponge to knock down any inconsistencies.

I have the entire build here.
http://junkerscosplay.blogspot.com/2...sdcc-2012.html

Blogspot- Step by Step tutorials!
Facebook
Twitter - Day to day WIP!
Deviantart
StabbityBlkMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2012, 12:43 PM   #5
AmatureManga
Beginner Cosplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StabbityBlkMage View Post
I don't know exactly what you mean by molding clay, since most of the clays I've been using for making molds are wax based and are NOT appropriate for directly wearing. Maybe you mean apoxie sculpt or other hard air drying clays?

I've used it to make vac bucks stuff and it's really strong and easy to use. Just wet your hands or smoothing tool and it gets pretty smooth. Then to get even smoother you can use a fine sanding sponge to knock down any inconsistencies.

I have the entire build here.
http://junkerscosplay.blogspot.com/2...sdcc-2012.html

Hmm can you supply with the names of materials, also a tutorial video would be helpful if possible.