Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 11-06-2012, 11:06 AM   #1
Maurishio-kun
You can call me Mau

Exercises for an office-stuck

OK, where should I start?

I work 9 hours in an office where I'm all day long sat down in a computer, I'm not obese, but I'm thick because of my wide shoulders and I have some muffin top, I drink 4 bottles of water a day and reduced my food portions, I go to work by walking (probably takes between 15 and 30 minutes), I take advantage of every work assignment (which are not too much) to walk more, but looks like it's not enough, and I have no time do do all the exercise I need at home.

Is there any exercise I can do at office? (without calling the attention of people, if it's possible)

CURRENT COSPLAYS

Takuto (Full Moon wo Sagashite) 25%
Takato (Digimon Tamers) 100%
Leo (Barra - Homesport Deluxe (Original) 45%
Izumi (Digimon Frontier) 50%

"There are only two things in this world that you can't change: The star we orbit and my opinion about adults"

-Annonymous-

Last edited by Maurishio-kun : 11-06-2012 at 11:14 AM.
Maurishio-kun is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-06-2012, 12:44 PM   #2
nikkiolie

I also work in an office for 8-9 hours a day. Before I leave for work I walk my dog which is only about 5-10 minutes. Also I know it seems like working out takes a long time but it really doesnt. I always feel like I don't have time to workout after work but that is just an excuse to me now. I tell myself every time I don't feel like running that it only takes 30 minutes. 30 minutes that will help me in the long run and keep me in shape.

If you still can't do that then there are some things that I have found that work for me. If you have a lunch break take a walk and eat lunch outside or just walk the full lunch break and eat at your desk while you work. I have a private bathroom at my job so I do squats every time I go to the bathroom which is a lot because I force myself to drink at least 64 oz of water just at work.

I hope that helps a little.
nikkiolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2012, 12:45 PM   #3
bunny_Bri

I have a suggestion but, I have a feeling it won't be a popular one.

Believe me I understand where you are coming from. I work 8-9 hours a day too, but, my commute to and from work is 1.5 hours (thanks in part to living in L.A.) so now I'm out of the house 12 hours of the day. I also go to school part time and have homework. To top it all off I do live on my own so household chores and cooking are something I have to do for myself. I still manage to work on cosplay and squeeze in anime time...so clearly for me it wasn't about not having the time but, needing to manage my priorities.

If you truly want to work off the extra fluff and become more fit, you'll have to take a good hard look at the way you manage your time while you are not at work and see where you can squeeze in 30 minutes. For me I was unwilling to cut in cosplay time but, anime time 3 times a week could be held off. Instead of watching my latest anime right before going to bed, I turned in an extra 30 minutes early and got up 30 minutes early to get my workout in then.

I'll be honest the first two weeks suck but, then it just becomes part of your routine. It's helped me shed some unwanted pounds and it's also given me an energy boost in my day. The hype is true, it's gets me up and going, gets the blood racing and makes me feel ready for the day. It's not for everyone. My boyfriend prefers to work out in the late afternoon or evening. He just doesn't have the mental fortitude to do it in the morning. *shrug* Different strokes for different folks. The real test is find that uninterrupted 30 minutes in your day, telling yourself that you are worth it, and then just gritting your teeth and just do it.

Trust me, you'll never regret a workout.
Unread 11-09-2012, 10:54 AM   #4
dizzymonochrome
Sarah Charade

I actually wholeheartedly agree with Bri above. It's all a matter of time management and your routine.

I also work 8 hrs a day at a desk job, commute 2 hrs a day back and forth, and go to school about 15 hrs a week, and I live on my own. It's hard to fit in time to see my family, friends, boyfriend, cosplay, watching tv and playing video games, let alone going to the gym.

The trick is to work it into your weekly routine. You say you have no time to exercise at home, but what are you doing with the other 6-7 hours of your day? Assuming you get 8 hrs of sleep, you only need 15-30mins to walk to work each way, so that's a maximum traveling time of 1 hour. You still have minimum 6 hours to your day. Are you spending it doing productive, worthwhile things? Or are you vegging out on the couch every night? What about weekends? That's 2 full days of not going into the office, which means at least 32 hours over Sat and Sun to do whatever you want/need to do. Working out only takes a minimum of 30 minutes. If you do it Sat and Sun, that still leaves you with 31 hours of free time on the weekend.

If the problem is lack of energy or motivation when you get home after work, then make your workout time in the morning. Force yourself not to hit snooze for an hour, and instead get out of bed and do those exercises, and you'll actually feel more awake than if you slept in that extra hour before going to work. Going to bed earlier will help. Just take your normal bedtime back by 15 minutes each night until you get it where you want. (If you normally sleep at midnight, then going to bed at 9pm right away isn't going to make a difference, you're just going to lie there for 3 hours)

Another thing that's gaining popularity is standing computer workstations at offices. If there's any way you can do more work standing up, even just stationary, it's actually better for your mood, posture, and metabolism. Simply standing up every 5-10 minutes to stretch and move around is important. I just stand up at my desk, stretch my back and arms, stamp my feet a little, get the blood moving, and sit back down. I never eat lunch at my desk, and I make a point to go outside for at least 5 minutes on my lunch break no matter the weather conditions. My office literally does not have windows. We're in this beautiful financial building in the heart of downtown Toronto and you know who gets windows here? The executives. The exterior walls of this building are floor to ceiling windows, but the only people who get the benefit of what little VitD and sunlight we get in the winter aren't even here or in their offices 50% of the time. It really, really affects the other employees who don't get to see sunlight. So, sometimes when I'm moving around doing tasks away from my desk, I also take the opportunity to stop in an empty office or meeting room, and stand by the window for a minute. You're not wasting time, you're not being a bad employee. In fact, I find that if I don't do these things, it causes me to be a miserable, bad employee.

Costume design and fabrication
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/sector6labs

Tumblr: http://sector6labs.tumblr.com

Twitter: @sector6labs http://www.twitter.com/sector6labs

Last edited by dizzymonochrome : 11-09-2012 at 10:59 AM.
dizzymonochrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2012, 11:55 AM   #5
Maurishio-kun
You can call me Mau

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkiolie View Post
I also work in an office for 8-9 hours a day. Before I leave for work I walk my dog which is only about 5-10 minutes. Also I know it seems like working out takes a long time but it really doesnt. I always feel like I don't have time to workout after work but that is just an excuse to me now. I tell myself every time I don't feel like running that it only takes 30 minutes. 30 minutes that will help me in the long run and keep me in shape.

If you still can't do that then there are some things that I have found that work for me. If you have a lunch break take a walk and eat lunch outside or just walk the full lunch break and eat at your desk while you work. I have a private bathroom at my job so I do squats every time I go to the bathroom which is a lot because I force myself to drink at least 64 oz of water just at work.

I hope that helps a little.
Bathroom is a good place, though here is not my own but it works I'm trying that and also at my own bedroom, cause as I said, I don't want to call attention, that's why I've been also doing what you say by looking for lunch outside (I currently go to buy side orders, and lunch once a week because of money)

CURRENT COSPLAYS

Takuto (Full Moon wo Sagashite) 25%
Takato (Digimon Tamers) 100%
Leo (Barra - Homesport Deluxe (Original) 45%
Izumi (Digimon Frontier) 50%

"There are only two things in this world that you can't change: The star we orbit and my opinion about adults"

-Annonymous-
Maurishio-kun is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2012, 09:22 AM   #6
DowagerAtWork

http://www.lifehack.org/articles/lif...your-desk.html

Lately, I've had to cover an area at my job that requires me to stay behind a desk. Fortunately, there is a storage area immediately behind it that I often slip into, at least to stretch. Anywho, that's a pretty good list of things you can do at work. Some more discreet than others.

You may also have to be the "kooky health person" and be conspicuous now and again. Any one who jokes about it will only be doing so because they feel bad about being less health conscious.
DowagerAtWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2012, 07:35 PM   #7
Sokar

I agree with Bri completely. Get up early and take advantage of the morning time to work out. This can be very effective in jump starting your day. And yet again she is right, the 1st few weeks will suck, but if you can push through it you will be all the better for it. The clients I train in the morning tend to be more productive at work and have a lot more when they leave work in the afternoon. Their energy level is jacked up through out the day and it has not only improved their fitness but their quality of life. Just make sure that after your morning work out that you have a good breakfast of some kind of protein and carbs and/or natural sugars like a fruit to give your body the energy it needs. It will thank you I promise lol.
Sokar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2012, 10:59 PM   #8
ChatNoir
Lubim Ta

I absolutely sympathize with all of us office drones looking to stay in shape. I know in the first few months of my desk job I gained weight without even knowing about it , and then I found out the hard way - when my pants didn't fit. I work at an office where it's rare to work 8 hours and more likely to work 10+ because of the work volume, so I know what you mean about it being hard to squeeze time in.

I've been lucky in that I found an option that I actually enjoy enough to motivate myself to go even after a long day at work - Zumba. I absolutely love Zumba, and the class I go to two nights a week is on the way home, so I have no excuse. I put my workout stuff in my car the day before so I can't forget it, and every Tuesday and Thursday I make myself go. And I never ever regret it! In fact, I'm sad on days I have to miss it. So that's just one suggestion to add to the many good ones above - find a workout you like so much that you'll want to make the time for it.

Rose Tyler - Doctor Who
River Song - Doctor Who
Kaylee Frye - Firefly
Fem!Sam - Supernatural
Sam Winchester - Supernatural
Fem!Sherlock - BBC Sherlock
Fem!Newt Geiszler - Pacific Rim
ChatNoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2012, 01:04 AM   #9
Rinzle

i work night audit at a hotel im given the option of bringing in my laptop but there is an entire back room that can be used for excercise that doesnt keep me away from the front desk area. It sucks that the excercise room is on the other side of the hotel lol but idk if i wanna be sweaty and gross when i have to deal with guests.
Usagi Tsukino School uniform 100% complete Otakon 2013

Next Years cosplays

Neo Queen Serenity V.2. hopefully something i dont have to readjust every five minutes
The Red Whirlwind Romeo X Juliet
TBA third cosplay
all three will Debut at Anime Central 2014
Rinzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2012, 01:06 AM   #10
Rinzle

Also another tidbit for us office workers. watch for proper posture i have something called forward head carriage because of slouching forward for so many years. it makes my shoulders look bigger and me slightly shorter than what i am. watch your posture before you have to start visiting a chiropractor. Im at that point where i have to go for regular adjustments and therapy to train my neck muscles to go back to the way there supposed to be.
Usagi Tsukino School uniform 100% complete Otakon 2013

Next Years cosplays

Neo Queen Serenity V.2. hopefully something i dont have to readjust every five minutes
The Red Whirlwind Romeo X Juliet
TBA third cosplay
all three will Debut at Anime Central 2014
Rinzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2012, 11:02 AM   #11
nikkiolie

I used to get up at 6:30 in the morning to go to work but this week I have started getting up at 5:30 so I can jog in the morning. I have tried to workout after I'm done with work but it can be very difficult for me. I just want to relax when I get home. In the past few days I haven't had a problem waking up and jogging, the hardest part is being so cold after I am done jogging that it takes forever for me to warm up.

Next cons:
Sakuracon '14
Kumoricon '14
Newcon '14
Unread 11-29-2012, 01:45 PM   #12
bunny_Bri

Invest in some fleece lined tights. They were a godsend when I had to get up and run early in the morning while living in Washington. I also used to wear pantyhose with the crotch cut out and the feet cut off as a shirt under my regular gear. It helps keep your chest and arms warm. I wear it over my sports bra but under my first layer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkiolie View Post
I used to get up at 6:30 in the morning to go to work but this week I have started getting up at 5:30 so I can jog in the morning. I have tried to workout after I'm done with work but it can be very difficult for me. I just want to relax when I get home. In the past few days I haven't had a problem waking up and jogging, the hardest part is being so cold after I am done jogging that it takes forever for me to warm up.
Unread 11-29-2012, 02:26 PM   #13
nikkiolie

I'm not cold while I am jogging. I am cold about a half hour after I am done when I am on my way to work. I don't have enough time to take a shower and style my hair and it is too short to put up.

Next cons:
Sakuracon '14
Kumoricon '14
Newcon '14