Go Back   Cosplay.com > Canada Convention Forums > Anime North

Unread 06-11-2012, 11:31 AM   #241
color
Phantom Detective

Our comprehensive vlogging experience of AN 2012.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=x-MPMNmr82A

Unread 06-11-2012, 12:18 PM   #242
Ani_BEE
Freaky Fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleryth View Post
Re: Photo booth in DT upstairs (last year AN - no other year that I can recall)
That was The Enthusiasts (of which Elemental was one), and the reason they were up on the lobby of the Plaza Ballroom of the DT was because they were also the official photographers for the Skit Contest and Masquerade that year. Different arrangements were made this year, partly due to the photo alley in the TCC. This turned out to be a good thing as we were actually short curtains for constructing the green room and therefore wouldn't have been able to block off an appropriately shaped space, as well as having many large costumes that we really needed the space for.

The basement area at the stairwell to go to the second level of the DT - I've heard we don't have access to that because of the businesses located there, so we'd be unable to use that space for a photo pit. The only other large space I can think of, though also really busy, is the 'lobby' where volunteers tables and the like were, near the Japanese restaurant.

We can explore the idea of having a photobooth in the DT, though, and see if anything can be done.
Even just one would be great, I know Strategically it's hard to find a nook of floor space. As the was three at the back (including the snake) when you first enter the TCC and one in the dealers room.

Costume-Con 32
Souryuu ~ Yami no Matsuei
Jack & Red Queen

Anime North
Laplace no Ma
Souryuu/Regina ~ Once Upon a Time
Nehelenia

Future cosplays/cons:
Madeline Hatter Legacy Day
Sakizou Arachne
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
My Wigs • Mascot, Costumes (Humanity has Declined) & D.Gray-man Poker Cards • Zori&Tabi from Japan
Ani_BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2012, 08:30 PM   #243
Eleryth
Rollin Rollin Rollin

Re: Gaia - the Gaming department asked Gaia Online for prizes/awards and they were donated, as far as I know. At least, that's what it sounded like from one of the meetings where it was mentioned. I grabbed a card I saw and redeemed it today.

In Toronto and like kimono? Check out the Toronto Kimono Club!
Eleryth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2012, 08:19 PM   #244
calisushiroll

Anime North 2012 was my first convention. I went on Saturday and it was crowded @_____@. I didn't have the greatest, but that was probably because of me and the people I went with that day.

My circle lenses got really dry (I don't know if it was because of the heat from waiting in line to get into the con) and nobody in the dealers room was willing to sell me contact solution
;-----; . I was temporarily blind for awhile and this girl who was cosplaying as Maka accidently whacked me in the face with her scythe, almost knocking me out cold @_____@. Plus I kept getting trampled buy other people, including my own friends (LOL) because I am so short. :'D I got to see Pink Project which cheered me up in the end. ^^

Hopefully I will have a better time next year though! I didn't get to stay for the rave or concert, but next year I plan on going all three days so my friends and I can do more things. ^^
calisushiroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2012, 08:44 PM   #245
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

I wear contacts too (though mine are usually just normal prescription ones) when I cosplay, and I also noticed how EFFING DRY my eyes/lenses got in the TCC. I guess they had the A/C and humidity low enough that it made that happen. I had to keep my rewetting drops handy while I was in there.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Help me get rid of my parasprite swarm! --> http://tinyurl.com/brcp53c
ShinobiXikyu is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2012, 12:01 AM   #246
Kaijugal
☆FibreFantasyArtist

Quote:
Originally Posted by calisushiroll View Post

My circle lenses got really dry (I don't know if it was because of the heat from waiting in line to get into the con) and nobody in the dealers room was willing to sell me contact solution

For future reference there are a few convenience stores nearby on the same block or across the street, 1) Next to the TCC immediately next door to Harvey's Hamburgers. 2)In the gas station diagonally across the crosswalk from the TCC. 3)In the front Lobby of the Doubletree Hotel directly across the street from the TCC.

I hope this information is helpful to anyone in the future.

The International Costuming Convention is coming to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Dealers, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels, Contests, Classes and Events. Costumes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitons, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, Big Fricken Trophies and so much more!
Get your membership today!
www.costumecon32.com
Kaijugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2012, 09:46 AM   #247
mokulen22
The Ducktape Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijugal View Post

For future reference there are a few convenience stores nearby on the same block or across the street, 1) Next to the TCC immediately next door to Harvey's Hamburgers. 2)In the gas station diagonally across the crosswalk from the TCC. 3)In the front Lobby of the Doubletree Hotel directly across the street from the TCC.

I hope this information is helpful to anyone in the future.
The convenience store next to the Harvey's must be used to cosplayer 'cause they have sewing supplies there.
Unread 11-29-2012, 05:02 PM   #248
Joybug

honestly, aside from the pre-reg line (which I'm sure you guys are sick of hearing about by now) I have to say the biggest problems I had involved finding my way from event to event, being that the pre-reg didn't have the booklets and such and apparently what we had printed off the computer was inaccurate. I would just suggest more signs and possibly to have the booklets available at the pre-reg.
I also found that, although most of the other cosplayers/con-goers were polite to the staff, it was disappointing to hear the volunteers getting freaked out on about the pre-reg. I mean yeah, we were all upset, but there was no need to shout at people who were just doing what they were told. At one point I thought the one volunteer was going to cry because the one mother was screaming and swearing at her. I think in that situation the volunteer should've had more help, that way things might not have gotten out of hand. It was disappointing to see and I felt so bad for the volunteer. Things happen and it can't be helped at the time. Maybe next year it will be better, but there was no need for name calling and such.

One of the main problems I had were people smoking in the line ups, especially the lines to the after hours events. I have no problem with smokers, but I am extremely asthmetic, so it made it really hard to stay in those lines. I understand that its hard to crack down on something like that, but perhaps if there was a smoking area for them to go to and have their spots in line held or something it would be different.

Now on to the good stuff. Once I figured out where I was going and what I was doing from place to place I had an awesome time. The events were well run and awesome, the staff was polite and did their best to be helpful(or at least the ones I saw were). I wish the dealers' room had more room to move around, but it was still good and had a lot of things that I adored.
the after events were great, loved the bands that were brought in, and the dance was as fun as always.
I loved that the volunteers tried to keep us occupied at the autograph line ups with bubbles. I loved the guest line up, as well.

Overall I would say the convention, aside from a few minor setbacks, was still awesome. I'm glad it wasn't as overcrowded as in previous years and I was definitely glad to see more garbage bins around.

I wonder if it would be possible next year to have a distinct sign or something to break up the two outdoor lines (the registry and entry lines) because it was difficult to find anyone with information about which line was which, where lines ended, that sort of thing.

that's my two cents.
Looking forward to AN next year
Joybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2012, 10:55 AM   #249
Kaijugal
☆FibreFantasyArtist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joybug View Post

I wonder if it would be possible next year to have a distinct sign or something to break up the two outdoor lines (the registry and entry lines) because it was difficult to find anyone with information about which line was which, where lines ended, that sort of thing.

r

Good idea. I'll pass this on.

The International Costuming Convention is coming to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Dealers, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels, Contests, Classes and Events. Costumes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitons, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, Big Fricken Trophies and so much more!
Get your membership today!
www.costumecon32.com
Kaijugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2012, 11:30 AM   #250
Nightwitch-Kat
Busty Princessa

My only real request is that I think people who pre register really should be rewarded for their planning. I am a total fan of the idea of sending ou the tickets before hand to pre registers before a certain date.

~ Up coming Cosplays ~
  • Princess Peach - Super Smash Bros
Nightwitch-Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2012, 08:54 PM   #251
MsSei42

I found it it was ok this year but friday was really bad we got there around 2 or 3 to the pre-reg line and then we were outside in the heat for about 4 or 5 hours they need more people taking pre-reg and giving passes and i was almost late for the skit contest which i was in. the group i was with about 2 or 3 of them got sick and sun stroke i don't blame AN it's just the heat and my one friend got sick and didn't come the rest of the weekend cuz of the heat. This is my 5th year going and i found it a little bit disorganized and i find the others years i went were more organized then AN 2012. I did have a lot of fun with all my friends found things a bit pricey in the dealers room then last year

Cosplaying was fun did 2 photoshoots met a lot of people but other then a friend disspearing over that weekend...more like all weekend and we couldn't get in contact with her at all >.<. I found everything was good ran around bought a lot of stuff and just had a good time at panels hopefully next year i can do a lot more and not get cosplays done last minute XP

Cosplays

Casual or Kid Canada from Hetalia (Friday)

Team Rocket Grunt from Pokemon (Saturday Morning)

Dave from Homestuck (Saturday Afternoon/evening)

Uniform or Kid Canada from Hetalia (Sunday)
MsSei42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2013, 05:18 PM   #252
DireKitty
Captain Kittens

Here's your chance to provide some constructive feedback

Very few staff look at this site so this is a good chance to point out stuff that maybe can be addressed this year.

Anime North Reddit Community
DireKitty is offline   Reply With Quote