Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 11-30-2012, 06:39 PM   #1
Tj_05

Zack Fair Shoulder Pads

Hey guys, I'm fairly new to cosplaying and I'm making a Zack Fair costume. I'm almost finished with the sword and was wondering if anyone had a good guide as to how make the shoulder pads. I already have the straps, just need the pads to put over them.

Thank you!
Tj_05 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-30-2012, 07:33 PM   #2
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

I would use either paperclay or wonderflex.
There's a tutorial somewhere wbout making a cloud one out of wonderflex, I'll edit when I find it.

My KH cloud armor is paperclay and it's super light.
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3287331/
You would oviously sand the paperclay and gesso more then I did, but I went for a used look..

What I did:
get a wig head or other rounded object close to your shoulder size.
Buy paperclay, something to put inbetween the round item and the clay, small bowl with some water in it and a towel.
Gesso (walmart is a better buy then craft stores) and black paint.

If you use a wig head you can put fabric as the item between the wig head and clay (I liearned the hard way it sticks to the head without fabric).
Then using small pieces of clay make it thin like you would with play-doh and put it all together however you want and into a rounded shape.
Then let it dray. It will shrink so make it a little bigger then you want it..
After it dries, use more clay to fill in the cracks, (do not use it all in one time, you will need maybe 3 bags to finish both armors), after dry take it off the round thing. there will be cracks inside too..You no longer need the round thing..
Then, after you got it all filled and dried and there's no more craks or weak spots sand she shit out of it. A mouse sander will work better (electric) but hand sanding is more presice.., then cover it in gesso and let it dry. Sand the gesso, repeat a few more times intil it's nice and covered yet sanded.
Next paint. Use maybe 2-4 coats..then bam add them to the straps..You can use a few different ways..If you want to bolt them to the straps, then when making it at the start, make sure theres big enough hols to get the bolts through, once dry you can;t do that..also make sure the boltet areas are pretty thick because you want them extra strong.
Hope this helps..

I will edit with the wonderflex tut in a little bit, I have to go for now. If someone else posts it then nvm..

EDIT:
http://www.cosplaysupplies.com/tutorials.php?id=4
This is the wonderflex thing I mentioned..
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Dream Cosplays:
-Tsuruya-san (Haruhi Suzumiya)
-Kagami Hiiragi (Lucky Star)
-Minimandy (Grim Tales)
-Mimi (Grim Tales)
-Yui Hirasawa (K-On!)

Last edited by JasonTerror : 11-30-2012 at 08:16 PM.
JasonTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2012, 02:29 PM   #3
riddeltk
The Reaper Review

Fiberglass would be a good choice. It will take more time and is more pricey but the end result will be much stronger and can actually function as real armor. www.digitalemerald.com has a really detailed tutorial. Alternatively, you could also try expanding foam with paper mache. www.kamuicosplay.com has a really good tutorial as well. If you're not really confident on either one of those methods wonderflex is probably the best way to go.
Unread 12-01-2012, 04:15 PM   #4
dbchan
Minty McNomNoms

@JasonTerror, using a wig head for shaping shoulder armor is genius. I've never thought of that.

I'm not sure that expanding foam is a good idea here- the shoulder isn't very thick overall and has a simple shape.

It would be easy to make out of wonderflex,for sure. Paperclay is heavy and a little expensive for something like this, in my opinion. Why not try the same method with paper mache?

I don't like model magic very much but this is the one place I recommend it- for shoulders. You could take some model magic, roll it out into a flat sheet, trace your shoulder pattern onto it and slice it out with an exacto knife and shape it over your form, leave it to dry.

Blonadine.net -
Facebook me!

"Nothin but the rain."

Last edited by dbchan : 12-01-2012 at 05:39 PM.
dbchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2012, 04:24 PM   #5
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Actually paperclay in very light. The armor I made isn't even 1 pound
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Dream Cosplays:
-Tsuruya-san (Haruhi Suzumiya)
-Kagami Hiiragi (Lucky Star)
-Minimandy (Grim Tales)
-Mimi (Grim Tales)
-Yui Hirasawa (K-On!)
JasonTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2012, 05:03 PM   #6
riddeltk
The Reaper Review

It actually depends on the expanding foam. Spray expanding foam is heavier but thin, lightweight pieces can be made with x30. X30 sands down pretty thin but remains solid. I think it's pretty easy to work with for a newer cosplayer. Generally, expanding foam is thicker though.