Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 12-01-2012, 12:20 AM   #1
SoraOkuda
Sora Okuda

Snow Once Upon a Time cosplay help!

Hi! So I'm planning on doing Snow's outfit from the lancelot episode, but I'm not sure how to tackle the coat. Here is what it looks like.

tumblr_mc2veaUTRp1r8qbmko1_500.jpeg

I need help figuring out a pattern and fabric to use! Or, where I can get a jacket like it, to modify. HELP WANTED!! Much appreciated!

"True love stories never have endings."

Next Con: Saboten 2012
Current Cospaly: Love is War Len
SoraOkuda is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-01-2012, 12:45 AM   #2
Alucardalina
Touhou Cosplayer

I don't have a clue about a pattern for it, and I wish they said something about her outfit's materials like they did the prince. Maybe you can use suede for that as well?
I mainly stopped by to give you thumbs up for wanting to cosplay Snow! I just finished the series myself. X3 Good luck!

Please like my Facebook cosplay page if you like my cosplays!
Alucardalina Cosplay

Con Updates!
Momocon 2013
Art Critic Rarity - MLP:FIM
Alucardalina Claire - Guild Wars 2
Eirin - Touhou
Alucardalina is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2012, 06:34 AM   #3
PSY-chan
Arrogant Ignoramus

McCall's pattern 4696 might be a good place to start. You would have to modify the bodice into a jacket, including adding the bottom sections and the collar. The pattern does have similar sleeves (view E, needs slight modification to upper section).
Another pattern possibility is Simplicity 4059. It's a men's pattern, but the tunic might be easier to modify.

Her jacket is leather, and pants are leather or suede. The under layer jacket might attach to the pants. The leather looks embossed, but if you want a similar look, you can stitch the diamonds in with subtle thread.

I don't know if you're a beginner with sewing, but this project will be a challenge. Good luck and hope this gives you some ideas!
PSY-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2012, 09:56 AM   #4
Penlowe

Curved standing collars are tricky, they must be perfectly executed because seams that are normally hidden show. Double the complication that if you can't afford leather, vinyl doesn't have the same thickness or rigidity and will need inner facing to get the same effect. The neckline/ front closure is the other area where you will have to draft, you simply won't find that line in an existing pattern. The sleeves are actually really simple, they are tubes tied together. The skirt is pretty simple too as it's not fully fitted, but it's obviously leather, it's a raw edge. you can't fake that with vinyl.

if I were to make this outfit, I expect the materials- JUST the materials- to cost about $200, labor would double it easily.
Unread 12-01-2012, 10:47 PM   #5
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

Her bodice is a men's doublet style, but clearly tailored for a lady. I've known McCall's and Butterick to have sectional patterns for historical costumes that include doublets with a peplum very like that, and the jointed, laced sleeves. It's historically-based while being modified to look more modern and fancy. Like...the collar.

As for fabric, much of the "tapestries" or "brocades" they use are just decorator fabrics. They probably had a field day in the upholstery/drapery section of the fabric districts. So, finding THAT exact fabric is probably going to be next to impossible unless it happens to miraculously be this year's popular decorator design. Reproducing it with a plain base fabric, some embroidery and/or paint and/or trim and/or beads is going to be a pain in the ass, but it can be done if you have closer, detail shots of exactly what the pattern looks like.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2012, 12:22 PM   #6
TheFontBandit
Trial-&-Error Champion

This thread might also be a good place to ask for suggestions and tips: http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=257605
TheFontBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2013, 04:25 PM   #7
Swiftstart

http://mccallpattern.mccall.com/m681...php?page_id=96

mcCalls M6819 IS that outfit :3
Swiftstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2013, 07:21 AM   #8
Penlowe

read the dates, the thread is from December, that pattern is brand new for this years Halloween. Clearly McCall's is paying attention! Yay!
Unread 07-15-2013, 10:49 PM   #9
MedievalGirl

The fabric for her doublet is Robert Allen Diamond Tuft. It comes in natural and white. I have white but I think they must have used natural. If you have the right search terms it is easy to find but it appears to be difficult to photograph. I think the skirt is just tan fabric but I'm going to weigh it with a lightweight chain.

Oh yes. Dates. The collar on the McCall's pattern is so wrong and that is what I had the most question on.

Did you make this in the last 8 months SoroOkuda?
MedievalGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2014, 08:23 PM   #10
aubergine

MedievalGirl Thanks so much! I've been looking for the fabric for ages!
aubergine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2014, 07:45 AM   #11
Penlowe

The collar is 'wrong' on the McCall's pattern because they simplified it in order for it to be a pattern an intermediate sewist can use without too much trouble. Vogue and Folklore are the only pattern companies left that still create and class patterns as 'advanced', the others have simplified their instructions and patterns into 'easy' and 'average'. The collar as it is on the original character is definitely advanced.

Nothing against them, it helps beginners quite a bit, just explaining the logic involved.
Unread 05-06-2014, 12:14 AM   #12
MedievalGirl

In the extras on the season 2 DVDs the costume designer Eduardo Castro holds up this outfit and talks about the details on the cuff and what beads were used. I got a really good look at the collar and feel much more confident that I can do that. I just need to find the time.
MedievalGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2014, 09:20 PM   #13
aubergine

This gives me hope for my costume!
I'm hoping to get mine done as authentically as I can for May 23rd (Anime North)

Cons:
Anime North (May 23-25)
ConBravo (July 18-20)
aubergine is offline   Reply With Quote