Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Unread 12-02-2012, 02:11 PM   #1
Akune-chan

How to Glow?

Yes I know...weird question.

When I was wondering, is there any way to get yourself to look like you are glowing without LED lights? Could some sort of makeup work out or some kind of fabric?

Specifically like this?:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAqS6FLRPGA

Thanks for your help guys!
(If this is in the wrong place I will be glad to change it).

Unread 12-02-2012, 03:12 PM   #2
animenerd93
Neko Neko Chi CHi

there are some glow in the dark makeups.... but they need darkness........ your not going to get a pure glow in the day time wo leds
RapMonster- BTS N.O
fem!Ravi- VIXX Hyde
Hyuk- VIXX Voodoo Doll
animenerd93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2012, 06:23 PM   #3
Akune-chan

I see...

I thought that there was some kind of fabric or something..
Unread 12-02-2012, 06:51 PM   #4
PSY-chan
Arrogant Ignoramus

The only fabric which resembles that, to the best of my knowledge, is mirror organza.
PSY-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2012, 07:13 PM   #5
Akune-chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSY-chan View Post
The only fabric which resembles that, to the best of my knowledge, is mirror organza.
Thats exactly the fabric I was thinking!

Do you have any experience with it? :0
Unread 12-02-2012, 07:19 PM   #6
PSY-chan
Arrogant Ignoramus

Sadly no. I was thinking you might be able to make a removable, outer "shell" for the costume, and glue small pieces to your skin (high points such as cheekbones, bridge of nose).
Unread 12-02-2012, 07:23 PM   #7
Akune-chan

Quote:
Sadly no. I was thinking you might be able to make a removable, outer "shell" for the costume, and glue small pieces to your skin (high points such as cheekbones, bridge of nose).

That actually makes sense o___o.
And the Fabric is also relatively cheap so I wouldn't mind experimenting!

Do you have any ideas for makeup? Or should I just go with using spirit gum to apply the fabric to my face?
Unread 12-02-2012, 07:28 PM   #8
PSY-chan
Arrogant Ignoramus

You could try mixing metallic or luminescent powder with your foundation, primer, lotion. Brands like Ben Nye should have something that would work.

Or try TKB Trading Co. or The Conservatorie for mica samples. They have info about their products on their websites.
Unread 12-02-2012, 07:28 PM   #9
Akune-chan

Quote:
You could try mixing metallic or luminescent powder with your foundation, primer, lotion. Brands like Ben Nye should have something that would work.

Or try TKB Trading Co. or The Conservatorie for mica samples. They have info about their products on their websites.
I love you XD

You always have the answers to my questions <3
Unread 12-03-2012, 05:49 AM   #10
Sweet Loretta

Glow in the dark makeups need UV lighting. No safe makeup product glows on it's own. Going for a faux glow look with a metallic sheen could be cool.

Face and Body Artist
www.sweet-loretta.com

Face and Body Art Makeup & Supplies
The Painted Navel : Extreme Makeup FX
www.extrememakeupfx.com
Mort's Morgue & FX Emporium
http://mortsmorgue.com
Sweet Loretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2012, 09:58 AM   #11
WARPAINTandUnicorns
Black Magic Woman

^ the FDA lies about that to cover the ass honesty about using them in the eye area. I just recommend using a primer and testing it our fir on your arm if your 1 in 200,000 people that might have an issue.

Actually the FDA's allow Neon pigments to be used on the body just not on the eye area.

But with makeup you need to test everything as every hast different tolerance of skin reactions to different ingredients used nothing is 100% skin safe for everyone.

I love the dewy look of metallic/iridescent pigments, Rumpelstiltskin in Once Upon a Time is painted in gold mixed with grey that gives him the almost scaly feel/look to his skin.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8...1q4o1_1280.jpg
http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,2038...152224,00.html
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8...a97o1_1280.jpg

Anime North '15
Souryuu / Sohryu - Yami no Matsuei (Fri)
Nehelenia ~ Sailor Moon (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items, wigs, and materails for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!

Last edited by WARPAINTandUnicorns : 12-03-2012 at 10:03 AM.
WARPAINTandUnicorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2012, 01:51 PM   #12
Sweet Loretta

Confused here - are you referring to my post? My post notes no makeup products glow on there own in the dark. Glow in the dark paint products are not makeup, if they are labeled as such it is in violation of cosmetic labeling laws. And trust me there are one or two big name brands in the USA with improper labeling.

Only makeup products which reacts to UV black lighting will glow when in the dark and in/under UV lighting.

As for safety the FDA does not approve these colorants for use around the eye. There are eight colorants approved by the FDA for novelty makeup use and none are approved for use around the eyes. Nor do they approve luminescent zinc sulfide for use around the eyes.

UV reactive aka neon pigments have not been tested by the FDA since the 1970's. The FDA does not randomly test products for safety. A manufacturer must submit their product for testing. No major face painting makeup manufacturer is willing to step up and bear the brunt of this cost.

So the FDA is not telling a lie, they are simply out of date. How pigments were mined as recently as 30 plus years ago and how we handle those pigments arehave changed. Trace mineral and heavy metal elements are more easily detected and cleaned from these pigments than in years past, making colorants safer for use on humans. How much safer is the question that is on a scientific level unanswered.

The FDA itself notes in referring to cosmetic grad coloring agents that one colorant approved for use does not approve it for use in all products. And as the FDA applies to the USA only other countries have different regulations and approvals.

Neon face paints are generally UV reactive and mos are sold without disclaimers. The EU as in the case of Kryolan's DayGlow Pressed Powders notes these products as use for special effects and not for use around the eyes. However we know plenty of makeup users who do so.

Information can be found directly on the FDA website.

When using any makeup, even if it's bought at the local drug store a patch test is a good idea.

Face and Body Artist
www.sweet-loretta.com

Face and Body Art Makeup & Supplies
The Painted Navel : Extreme Makeup FX
www.extrememakeupfx.com
Mort's Morgue & FX Emporium
http://mortsmorgue.com
Sweet Loretta is offline   Reply With Quote