Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 11-30-2012, 07:56 PM   #1
IchiBLEACHcake

Airbrush bodypaint

Hello!

I am going to be cosplaying Cortana from Halo 4
Of course this means I'll have to paint my face a light blue to match my suit. However, I didn't want to use a cream makeup because I don't want it to smudge on my costume or wig and I don't want to have to mess with a setting powder.
I currently own an airbrush, so I was wondering if anyone knew of any good airbrush makeup where I could get a good tone and not have it rub off!

IchiBLEACHcake is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-30-2012, 09:05 PM   #2
Zhor'Fughakee
Infantry Skirmisher

It'S me again >,< ( used to be Cortana in the past and I want future Cortanas to be 1004345348975348957 % better and cooler than me :P )

So for the airbrush makeup, I know that Kryolan makes some, but that's very pricy ! I'm talking about $40 the bottle... Otherwise Graftobian also makes Airbrush makeup and it's actually half the price if I remember

Graftobian has their own website, so it would be easier for you to order and I know that they are fast in shipping

http://www.graftobian.com/commerce/p...408&catId=2013

Have fun Being Cortana and Good Luck
Unread 12-01-2012, 01:55 AM   #3
animenerd93
Neko Neko Chi CHi

uh.... u still would want a sealing spray with like every makeup u put on just saying......

and as for airbrush, are you only doing this cause u dont want cream? cause there are also water activated makeups and alcohol activated ones too. bpth work wayyyyyyy better than cream
RapMonster- BTS N.O
fem!Ravi- VIXX Hyde
Hyuk- VIXX Voodoo Doll
animenerd93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2012, 09:12 AM   #4
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

water activated is what I would recommend for the face makeup consider you also need to do the delicate eye area.

Temptu Pro has a great colour range of both water base shade and S/B (silicon based) shade but the S/B range reqiures a propor air brush cleaner as it can clog your gun if you mix with with alcohol.

http://shop.temptupro.com/c-3-aqua-airbrush-makeup.aspx
http://shop.temptupro.com/c-4-sb-airbrush-makeup.aspx

Mehron also have a great range and affordable waterbased paints. I've used the pan (water activated) and cream products for year and they are always richly pigmented.
http://www.mehron.com/LUX_Airbrush_Makeup_p/211.htm

You still want to hit these with a setting/sealing spray for longevity.

You can also use is with a brush to paint on the white circuitry on your neck, as you will probably want to create the suit edge where the blue ring on her neck is to blend the seam.

FanEXPO
Wearing random Arda Wigs.
Madeline Hatter ~ Ever After High (Sat)

Unplugged Expo

Future cosplays/cons:
Anime North, (maybe) Otakuthon, FanEXPO '15
Nehelenia
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup revies!

Win a Ticket to FanExpo!

Last edited by Ani_BEE : 12-01-2012 at 09:14 AM.
Ani_BEE is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2012, 06:23 PM   #5
Mystic~
aka Darth Sunshine

If you want something that absolutely will not budge, I'd recommend looking into an alcohol activated airbrush paint. They're pricey, but they won't go anywhere for awhile.

Reel Creations
is highly recommended by many people I've spoken with. I've been experimenting with Kustom Kolor Body Art Ink. I haven't worn it to a con yet, but I'm liking it so far.
Mystic~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2012, 05:08 AM   #6
Sweet Loretta

The top body painters do on occasional use alcohol based airbrush makeup which is made to be water and sweat resistant and must be removed with rubbing alcohol (91% or less) or baby oil. We find a good deal will sluff off in the shower after a log day of play. But a good deal may have to have a remover.

Water based or hybryd airbrush makeups are made to be water and sweat resistant but washable with soap and water. i.e. you can paint your arm and run water over it without the makeup moving, but rub the makeup under the water and off it comes.

There are several top brands my first choices would be new Showoffs Body Art ProAiir as it is very affordable compared to many brands. I would also recommend European Body Art ENDURA or VIBE, Graftobian's FX Aire, Wolfe eFlow or Mehron LUX. All are airbrush ready, micronized for great flow without clogging.

I love Kryolan's Airstream. I just choose ProAiir or EBA first.

Airstream also tends to produce best results for experienced makeup artists. Not that is is hard to use, in fact it is one of the most finely micronized makeups out here, it just tends to do best blended in layers.

Many fixing sprays will actually remove airbrush makeup as they are alcohol based. So decide on a type and brand and then see if you really need to fix the makeup.

Face and Body Artist
www.sweet-loretta.com

Face and Body Art Makeup & Supplies
The Painted Navel : Extreme Makeup FX
www.extrememakeupfx.com
Mort's Morgue & FX Emporium
http://mortsmorgue.com

Last edited by Sweet Loretta : 12-03-2012 at 12:57 PM.
Sweet Loretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2012, 08:39 AM   #7
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

I actually didn't recommend alcohol activated (AA) makeup as it's not recommend on the delicate eye area and not something most artist uses there useless they models have been tested for any issue (not all skin react well for such a drying agent as 99% alcohol). It's very drying on the delicate skin there so someone just getting into body paint I recommend it after a little bit of application experience.

That said I'm using it with my Venus cosplay but she have a lot of eye makeup to protect that area.

I'm also not using 99% but got a cheaper then baby oil cleanser from Jordane Cometics (Canadian company/brand) to remove it that was formulated with moisturizer in it as well.

FanEXPO
Wearing random Arda Wigs.

Unplugged Expo

Future cosplays/cons:
Anime North, (maybe) Otakuthon, FanEXPO '15
Nehelenia
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup revies!

Win a Ticket to FanExpo!

Last edited by Ani_BEE : 12-03-2012 at 08:47 AM.
Ani_BEE is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2012, 05:14 PM   #8
Sweet Loretta

Just a couple of FYI

99% ISO rubbing alcohol is for use to activate alcohol activated makeup and cleaning alcohol based makeup from airbrushed it is not for use directly on the skin. The 99% is considered hazmat and is toxic, please use with care. Avoid the fumes and as much contact with your skin as possible. It changes when mixed with the makeup, the chemical makeup changes. Our staff chemist explained it, it's like denaturing an egg by cooking it.

Do not pour 99% down the drain, rather let it sit outside after the alcohol has evaporated say in 25 hrs it becomes mostly water at which point it is safe for dumping down the drain. (thanks I live on this planet!)

I haven't found alcohol activated or alcohol based makeups to dry the skin out. Certainly any makeup applications and removal take their toll on your skin and moisturizers help.

Any makeup near the eye and delicate areas extra care needs to be taken.

For the price of makeup products one might as easily hire a body painter to do the job, ask one if they exchange with you for use of the images. You in full cosplay would/could be a great addition to an artist's portfolio.

Face and Body Artist
www.sweet-loretta.com

Face and Body Art Makeup & Supplies
The Painted Navel : Extreme Makeup FX
www.extrememakeupfx.com
Mort's Morgue & FX Emporium
http://mortsmorgue.com
Sweet Loretta is offline   Reply With Quote