Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 12-03-2012, 06:04 PM   #16
LluviaSarcasm
Tall, Dark and Bishoujo

I learned how to make a single welt pocket. =)
In progress:
| Cronus Ampora - 90%| Homura Akemi - 80%|
| Nagito Komaeda - 55%| Loki Laevatein - 50%|
| Uta - 40%|
~ ♥ ~
| Tumblr | deviantART | Cosplay plans | WorldCosplay | Cure |
]Uta - 35%[/color]|
~
LluviaSarcasm is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-03-2012, 06:38 PM   #17
AnimeLuxray25
The Gijinka Girl

That me and cosplay will be together for a loonnng time<3 Oh and how to do sturdier hand-stitches.

2014 Cosplay(s): Shinx Gijinka (Shiny Version) [Pokémon] - 100%

2014 Conventions: | KnightroKon | Mythicon | Holiday Matsuri |

deviantART: AnimeLuxray25
AnimeLuxray25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2012, 07:41 PM   #18
Schweigie
--

I've learned that fleece drapes really nicely and is pretty darn easy to work with.

I've also learned that fabric paint makes me want to rip my own head off. It's too nerve-wracking, man.

Rose Lalonde - Homestuck - [god tier] - revamp
Dirk Strider - Homestuck - [god tier] - WIP - [dreamer] - WIP

Schweigie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2012, 08:05 PM   #19
VickyAmis
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehdia View Post
I learned it's hard to find a good stretchy cotton fabric in black that doesn't look faded. I am doing and ANBU Kakashi commission and was looking for what fabric to use and all the cotton stretch fabrics all looked washed out. I'm going with a nice, sleek matte jersey instead. I think it's gonna be sweet looking...just hope the customer (who is a friend) will like it.
Ern,well, it's difficult actually.
VickyAmis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2012, 09:06 PM   #20
jukebox
role models > supermodels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schweigie View Post
I've learned that fleece drapes really nicely and is pretty darn easy to work with.

I've also learned that fabric paint makes me want to rip my own head off. It's too nerve-wracking, man.
Agreed on both accounts! I love working with fleece, my sewing machine loves it. <3 I made a Snuggie for my boyfriend two years ago and it was ridiculously easy to draft and sew. I need to find more excuses to work with it.

Have you tried acrylic paint? It's an easy paint to work with based on what kind of fabric you're painting onto, it's a very versatile paint IMO. It's also easier to avoid mistakes if you 'sketch' your design onto the fabric with a pencil or chalk.

PROFILES
GEEKPR0N | Twitter | deviantArt
jukebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2012, 09:25 PM   #21
NatsukoHirose
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Crunch View Post
Unfortunately, I am coming to learn that, too. I'm also learning that practice makes perfect, though, so I can work on less ambitious projects and get better before trying the more complicated stuff.

Also learned that my cat likes to eat ribbon. Not cool. Guess I need to find a new place to store it so he can't get at it.
Practice makes perfect! And nothing is impossible to a willing mind,
NatsukoHirose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2012, 09:42 PM   #22
Amaya
Ovarian Cancer Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbleyes View Post
I've learned that my cosplays are far too ambitious for my skill level.
THIS. Made me cry a little inside....

Please check out my Facebook page!
https://www.facebook.com/nightraincosplay

Cinncinnati Comic Con

Megaman/Bass Crossover (Megaman Battle Network)-0%
Asuka Plugsuit (Evangelion 3.33)- 100%
Black Widow (The Avengers)- 100%
Baby Doll (Sucker Punch)- 60%
Amaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2012, 10:07 PM   #23
Hallowin

I learned that i should be confident in cosplay^^
What
I
Love
^^^^^^^^^^^^
Cosplay1

Cosplay2
~~~~~~~~~~~
Hallowin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2012, 10:37 PM   #24
Akahana Akamiya
A Rose Reverie...

I have learned that some people are unreliable. I can't sew so I buy all my costumes and I make choices of weather I want a costume or other leisure items. My friend who wants to cosplay wants to get costumes too but doesn't want to put forth the effort to save and he agreed to help me on a few things (like wigs, shoes accessories) and he'd pay me a certain amount to set aside each week which kept CHANGING because he couldn't STICK to a budget which drove me NUTS.
Then he kept WHINING about not going out to eat, to movies, or other fun stuff and I told him this, "Cosplayers cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost." That is Cosplay's first rule" (Taking from FMA) and so I lowered the budget many times before finally this weekend he backed out from everything, and now he expects me to do the agreed costumes we decided upon as he brought up I need to stick to my end of the deal. I informed him that I will NOT be upholding my end I as have plans of my own he wanted me to add on three costumes when I already have:
  • Vampire Knight: Day Class Boy's Uniform
  • Vampire Knight: Night Class Boy's Uniform
  • Vampire Knight Day Class Girl's Uniform
  • Vampire Knight: Night Class Girl's Uniform
  • The Gentlemen's Alliance Cross: Haine Otomiya Student Council Summer Uniform
  • The Gentlemen's Alliance Cross: Haine Otomiya Student Council Winter Uniform
  • The Gentlemen's Alliance Cross: Imperial Academy Girl's Uniform
    • Vampire Knight: Lolita (Still Doll) Dress (Anime Banzai 2013 formal dress)
The guy doesn't seem to get that Anime Banzai is only THREE Days and I have 7 costumes plus a formal dress. (So that's three costumes the first day, three the second day and one on the third day.) He is currently upset i'm not doing Angel Beats! as I said I would but frankly how I see it, I have NO obligations to do such a thing for him as he can't stick to his word. I understand he wants to go out and do other things which is FINE with me but don't promise me empty things....and then whine he can't do cosplays. He also is upset I won't help him save money either. -_- how I see this one is, save up on your own and you are more then welcome to give me the money then and i'll order it with my debit card (As he doesn't have one) but don't whine to me if you don't have your costume or can't go to a convention because you didn't save for it.
Wow.....sorry let myself go there O////O sorry for ranting
Akahana Akamiya,
The Red Rose Cosplayer
Akahana Akamiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2012, 10:57 PM   #25
jukebox
role models > supermodels

Holy crapsicles, another amazing youtube find! I have learned how to cover up tattoos with makeup and it is ridiculously effective!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pYuv...ature=youtu.be

I'll have to keep this for reference when I start to get my tattoos done.

PROFILES
GEEKPR0N | Twitter | deviantArt
jukebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2012, 01:15 AM   #26
itoman

I learned that sintra is great stuff! Best armor-making material I've found yet.
itoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2012, 11:34 AM   #27
ghosgreen

I learned heat can make fiberglass soft enough to move if you have warped pieces. Also learned it's flammable and should not use a blow torch to heat up said projects...yeah it caught fire...the piece I was working is still here and salvageable yeah learned a lot of good things.
ghosgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2012, 12:17 PM   #28
Gothic Ninja
Fabrik!

The packaging of a Dimmu Borgir CD makes a nice magazine for my Laspistol
Unread 12-04-2012, 12:27 PM   #29
touchmon
Make All The Things!

I learned that even if I try to stick to a cosplay schedule, it's going to get messed up in some way or form. There needs to stop being so many things I want to cosplay...

~DA~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cure~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

touchmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2012, 04:31 PM   #30
Schweigie
--

Quote:
Originally Posted by jukebox View Post
Agreed on both accounts! I love working with fleece, my sewing machine loves it. <3 I made a Snuggie for my boyfriend two years ago and it was ridiculously easy to draft and sew. I need to find more excuses to work with it.

Have you tried acrylic paint? It's an easy paint to work with based on what kind of fabric you're painting onto, it's a very versatile paint IMO. It's also easier to avoid mistakes if you 'sketch' your design onto the fabric with a pencil or chalk.
Oh my goodness, I am with you on that one. This is the first thing I've sewn where I got the chance to use fleece and I can't wait to do something with it again.

My problem is that I am not really painting a straight design. I am making Jack Frost's cape so the edges are just kind of ghosted with white to look like frost and I feel like my fabric paint is too heavy for it. But I am defiantly going to try acrylic too, thanks for the suggestion.

Rose Lalonde - Homestuck - [god tier] - revamp
Dirk Strider - Homestuck - [god tier] - WIP - [dreamer] - WIP

Schweigie is offline   Reply With Quote