Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 313 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 11-22-2012, 08:57 AM   #691
Penlowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChokoCosplay View Post
http://media-worlds.theotaku.com/203...0111212818.png

I'm tackling Ulquiorra's final form from Bleach, I've got nearly every fabric worked out except the wings. They look like they'd be kinda bat-like so I'm thinking of something light with a leathery sort of look. I'm not too familiar with obscure fabrics so if anyone could suggest something, that would be really lovely ; u ; Thank you ^-^
I'd probably go for a stretch vinyl, it'll have the most leathery look without being a ton of work to pull taut.

Unread 11-22-2012, 09:00 AM   #692
Penlowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaye View Post

http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs50/f/20...hiroMirage.jpg
http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs70/f/20...na-d32d9ii.jpg
Anyone have any idea what would be a good fabric for these overalls? I need a royal blue fabric, maybe twill or a polyester? I definitely don't want to use denim.
I particularly like the first cosplay that I linked, I can't tell what fabric they used though.

(sorry for irrelevancy to fabric) Also, I can't find thigh-highs with the black stripe at the top so I'm going to order some plain white ones. How should I put the black on it? ;w; Should I sew a strip of black fabric on the top or sharpie it?
Twill is the right thing to look for, just make sure you are getting a bottom weight version as there is a lot of twill out there.
Don't try sewing a non-stretchy band to the top of hose, for a thigh high it needs to be stretch+ stretch. Sharpie would be okay, but do it with the hose top stretched over something (NOT your leg).
Unread 11-26-2012, 06:26 PM   #693
Narlth
Completely Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penlowe View Post
That's suede leather, very worn and aged. Ultrasuede is a brand name of artificial suede that is a little (not a lot) cheaper than real leather, and easier to work with as it comes on a bolt like regular fabrics. Or you could look through workmans wear company catalogs/ sites and see if there is something suitable you can rough up to look right. That coat looks an awful lot like a Carhartt http://www.carhartt.com/webapp/wcs/s...ll&Nao=0&Nty=1
Thank you, now I just need to find somewhere that sells it.
Merlin: Prince Arthur.

Cardiff FCC - Mar
Wales Comic Con - Apr
MCM London - May
Collectamania Milton Keynes - June
London FCC - July
Bournemouth FCC - Aug
Belfast FCC - Oct/Nov
Cardiff FCC - Nov
London Winter FCC - Nov
Wales Comic Con 2 - Nov
Narlth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2012, 06:17 AM   #694
ShimmerJester
If Beauty Could Kill

Hi Guys,

Medusa was a great success! Thank you guys for all your advice!!

Just have another question, planning on doing May from Guilty gears, I would like the fabric to be somewhat waterproof like pvc without the shine and without the neon orange looking for that more earthy orange. I basically want to do a photoshoot around water, so would cotton handle it. Any suggestions??

Here is a piccy:
ShimmerJester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2012, 03:36 PM   #695
Ophexis
I like them manly men

Hello~ :3 Next week I'm supposed to go shopping for fabrics for my LoTR-inspired ranger costume, so I was thinking about fabrics obviously.

I'm doing something similar as the green-ish long tunic. It's probably made of wool, but I was wondering what kind of fabrics would give a similar, medieval-ish effect while being less expensive.
Borderlands Mordecai
Ophexis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2012, 11:30 PM   #696
someonewhodied
Strange Gamer

So I'm making a cosplay of Aile from Megaman ZX

What fabric should I use for the jacket? And what for the shorts?
someonewhodied is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2012, 09:39 AM   #697
cabraxusb

Question Can someone pls suggest...

Hi everybody.

I'm a newbie and this is my first post, so please me gentle.

I was wondering if someone could help me select a fabric for a Moon Knight zentai suit. The problem I'm running into, though, is that my skin doesn't deal well with synthetics. (I know, it's usually the natural fibers that cause the problems... go figure.)

Normally I would go with latex, except that I think Moon Knight should be matte rather than shiny. I was thinking, perhaps, of a jersey knit fabric (since it's used for tights), but I'm not sure how well that would work.

Would a jersey knit work? Is there another fabric that would work better? I would really appreciate any input. Thanks.
cabraxusb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2012, 10:23 AM   #698
Libis

I'm hoping to find a deep purple suiting (think Steampunked Joker) that would look nice as a tailcoat and pants. Hoping for a tight pinstripe, and hoping beyond what is probably find-a-ble for something hand-wash-able. I also need to find some shirt fabric possibilities (not sure yet what color we're making the shirt, just looking for fabric names and sources on that one.) What fabric should a bow-tie be made from?
Is there a good source of faux leather out there?
Libis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2012, 06:42 PM   #699
PrincessYandere

I'm over thinking my choices, but does anyone know the best type of fabric for Elizabeth from Persona 3 + 4 Arena?

PrincessYandere is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2012, 07:50 PM   #700
Mokmo

Candidate 1
Candidate 2

I'm doing one of them, or the blue counterpart once it shows up around Christmas.
I know it's some sort of vinyl, and the chest piece is covered with the same fabric.
So it's stretch vinyl, that i get.
The chestpiece is obviously a covered structure, or the guy would be cooking in there.
Now, wizards of thee fabric shoppes, here is THE question: how hard is it to find ?
Mokmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2012, 12:40 AM   #701
Devkyu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokmo View Post
Candidate 1
Candidate 2

I'm doing one of them, or the blue counterpart once it shows up around Christmas.
I know it's some sort of vinyl, and the chest piece is covered with the same fabric.
So it's stretch vinyl, that i get.
The chestpiece is obviously a covered structure, or the guy would be cooking in there.
Now, wizards of thee fabric shoppes, here is THE question: how hard is it to find ?
Ask and ye shall receive: http://www.mjtrends.com/categories-Stretch-PVC,Fabric

Anyway, I've gotten the matte gold stretch PVC from this shop and it was very, very nice. Much higher quality and workability than the crap you find in Joanns.
Unread 12-09-2012, 07:09 AM   #702
StarsCASSiOPEiA
Crazy name CAPiTALiZATiON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ophexis View Post
I'm doing something similar as the green-ish long tunic. It's probably made of wool, but I was wondering what kind of fabrics would give a similar, medieval-ish effect while being less expensive.
If you would be headed to Joann's, I know they have a "Linen Look" line of fabric that has some nice earthy tones and cool textures. (On my profile, I have a few WIP shots of my Link costume, and that's what I used for the tunic). It's maybe $3 a yard, so it's cheap, but it's also really light. If you go with something heavier for the undershirt, you can still stay warm!

Quote:
Originally Posted by someonewhodied View Post
I'm not so sure about the jacket, but those look like khaki shorts. A cotton/twill blend, perhaps?

I would like some suggestions too, if anyone can help!

I'd love some help trying to figure out what I should use for the dress itself, as well as the dark green trims.

Joann's has their fancy fabric collection discounted this weekend, so I was thinking of grabbing some of that, but I'm not sure which type is best suited for this. I'm imagining it has a slight sheen, so my first inclination was taffeta, but that could also be a giant disaster. Would satin, or maybe chiffon (I haven't worked with the latter before) be a better choice? As for the trims-- bias tape, or ribbon?

Thanks in advance!
  • Emperor Lelouch (Code Geass): 2% (Planning) Katsucon 2015
  • Hilda, Player Character (Pokemon Black): 18% (Sewing) ?????
DeviantART // Tumblr // Facebook
StarsCASSiOPEiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2012, 09:01 AM   #703
Penlowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShimmerJester View Post
Hi Guys,

Medusa was a great success! Thank you guys for all your advice!!

Just have another question, planning on doing May from Guilty gears, I would like the fabric to be somewhat waterproof like pvc without the shine and without the neon orange looking for that more earthy orange. I basically want to do a photoshoot around water, so would cotton handle it. Any suggestions??

Here is a piccy:
Hmmm.... oil cloth is an old fashioned thing you can still sometimes find in upholstery departments. It would suit your qualifications, but: it tends to only come in picnic table cloth patterns, it's stiff, it would be really hot to wear.

Maybe a spray on Scotch Guard instead? It's designed for keeping your couch clean, you treat the fabric & it becomes water resistant. It won't last through laundering, but you may not need it to.
Unread 12-09-2012, 09:03 AM   #704
Penlowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ophexis View Post
Hello~ :3 Next week I'm supposed to go shopping for fabrics for my LoTR-inspired ranger costume, so I was thinking about fabrics obviously.

Fine woven wool suiting can be pretty pricey, but that isn't what you need. A polyester wool blend form the cheaper end of the rack would work out great. This is a case where shopping in person will do you a lot of good. Just get in the store and start touching fabrics.
Unread 12-09-2012, 09:05 AM   #705
Penlowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by someonewhodied View Post

trigger or gabardine. Both are bottom weight fabrics readily available in a whole rainbow of colors.