Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Unread 12-03-2012, 04:17 PM   #1
Mykaios
Saving all the meguca's.

Who has Cats?

More specifically, who has carpet in which their cat/s has pee'd on >_> And what have you done to get rid of the smell and stains and prevent your cat from peeing again?

Everyone recommended Nature's Miracle, so I finally picked up a bottle - Just for Cats. I wasn't sure if I should use the Urine Destroyer or Advanced Forumla or Oxyclean one.

We have two cats, a 1 year old and a 3 year old. The 3 year old has always loved peeing on bath mats and carpeted areas and I really hope the younger one hasn't learned from the older. They both use both litter boxes which are cleaned frequently. The older one's yearly is coming up, so I might have to tell the bf to have his cat checked out for UTI.

I hope this works or the cats are going to be insta-Sphnx kitties for the winter.

/RAGE

Last edited by Mykaios : 12-03-2012 at 04:58 PM.
Mykaios is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-03-2012, 04:42 PM   #2
Lithium Flower
Handphones

My cat used to pee on the same spot on this old Turkish rug my mother had (that I now own) and we managed to get it out by soaking up the urine with lots of paper towels then scrubbing it with dish soap and water.

However my cat also peed on another rug that my mother THOUGHT was cleaned but when I took it out of the storage unit we kept it in the thing smelled so foul of cat pee I had to throw it out. The rug smelled so bad that when I put it in a cardboard packing box to keep it out of the way from smelling up the apartment that when I went to open the box again it released a huge invisible cloud of awfulness into the air and I almost gagged.

I think it depends on the kind of fabric it is, how soon you can clean up the urine, and what cleaning supplies you used. If you have the rug on top of carpeted floors be sure to clean the carpet beneath the rug as well. Hell if you can try steam cleaning both the rug that was peed on and the carpet in the area the rug was on.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2012, 04:57 PM   #3
Mykaios
Saving all the meguca's.

So long as you treat the spot with pet cleaner before steam cleaning it otherwise it'll just bake the stain/smell into the carpet and make it harder to remove. I'm also trying to prevent them from peeing on carpet again. I've used Arm and Hammer's powder and spray for pet urine, the stuff that Giant Eagle sells and whatever Target had - which obviously did not work. I also tried a citrus smelling cleaner on my plastic mats because apparently cats dislike the smell of citrus. So, I finally went to Petsmart and got the NM stuff.
Unread 12-03-2012, 07:42 PM   #4
ThakYuki
Kittysaurus Rex!

Nature's Miracle only cleans up the spot where a pet has peed, it does not prevent them from peeing in the same spot again in the future.

Thank you for completely removing my signature without emailing me that it was too long.
ThakYuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2012, 09:06 PM   #5
NeonBunnyGirl
I fancy Poop.

If the cat has a UTI pretty much none of the preventing stuff will work.. Argus (our fattest cat) was peeing in the corner of our carpeted living room for a few weeks and he refused to use the litter box to pee so we took him to the vet, found out he had a uti. The vet said its common for cats with uti to refuse to pee in the box because the litter might rub against their pee pees and hurt them which would make them not wanna go pee there anymore. You cat could just have a behavior problem though if he's been doing it for a long time without seeming to be in any type of pain.. I know Argy was in a lot of pain when he had his uti, he'd whimper anytime you picked him up or touched the backside of him. He had to be on meds for a few weeks. And OH MAH GLOB they had to shave his wittle belly to to do an ultrasound, his belly was so cute. He's a black kitty with a white bikini pattern, and it just looked silly seeing his little pink belly showing. lol
Unread 12-03-2012, 09:22 PM   #6
Curucar

I alternate vineger (a deterrant and slight neutralizer) with Nature's Miracle. Though a lot of the deterring has to come from you-- put something over the spot they pee in, shoo them away whenever they're acting suspiciously around that spot, or just completely remove whatever they're peeing on. *has 6 cats*
Unread 12-03-2012, 09:25 PM   #7
Mykaios
Saving all the meguca's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThakYuki View Post
Nature's Miracle only cleans up the spot where a pet has peed, it does not prevent them from peeing in the same spot again in the future.

I think it depends on which Nature's Miracle you get. I got the Just for Cats "No more Spraying", so it *should* work. I don't remember the other bottles of NM, but this one says "prevents cats from spraying in same area twice" though I think all of them have instructions on the back, one of them being "To prevent repetitive spraying."
Unread 12-03-2012, 09:26 PM   #8
Mykaios
Saving all the meguca's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curucar View Post
*has 6 cats*
SIX CATS O__O?!
Unread 12-03-2012, 09:28 PM   #9
Rylee

Well I dont know how to get it where they stop, but for carpets and beds (my friends cat was mad at me for awhile so kept going on my bed) what you can do is sprinkle baking soda on it while its still wet, then when it drys vacumn it up. Then take a mixture of hydrogen peroxide, dish soap and white vinigure and spray the area, then sprinkle baking soda on again. what till it drys and vacumn again. The sent should be all gone, it may take a few days for the soda to dry. But it has gotten rid of the smell and any hint of the fact she has peed on my bed.
Rylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2012, 09:58 PM   #10
Mykaios
Saving all the meguca's.

While I currently don't smell cat pee, it does smell like sweaty clothes now...maybe I should've gotten the scented kind...
Unread 12-04-2012, 05:49 PM   #11
Oniigiri_Basket
Fangirl Extraordinaire

My cat started peeing on this spot in my living room last year after she got spayed/neutered/whatever. Nature's Miracle did a pretty good job, but it took pulling up the carpet/padding, soaking that a couple times over the course of two weeks or so, as well as putting a sealant of sorts on the wood underneath to seal in the smell. If you put your face right up to the carpet, you can still kind of smell the mustiness, but other than that, it's fine.

MCM London Comic Expo cosplay: Kiki (Kiki's Delivery Service), Nagisa Momoe (Madoka Magica)

ALA cosplay: Kiki (Kiki's Delivery Service), Snow White (Zombie Panic in Wonderland)

2015 conventions: Anime Los Angeles, Anime Central, Japan Expo
Oniigiri_Basket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2012, 08:04 PM   #12
Arc_The_Lad
of Daventry

My roommate has a cat I despise and I want it gone, I don't care how, just gone.

It shits everywhere, we have tried and tried and tired, but nothing helps, so I'm hoping the damn thing dies soon because it is single handily lowering our quality of life.

I have never legitimately hated an animal like I do this cat.

Last edited by Arc_The_Lad : 12-04-2012 at 08:06 PM.
Arc_The_Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2012, 03:55 PM   #13
ThakYuki
Kittysaurus Rex!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mykaios View Post
While I currently don't smell cat pee, it does smell like sweaty clothes now...maybe I should've gotten the scented kind...
Use Borax or Baking Soda. Both help neutralize odors. (Helped me get rid of the strong cigarette smell from when I moved into my apartment)

Thank you for completely removing my signature without emailing me that it was too long.
ThakYuki is offline   Reply With Quote