Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Unread 12-05-2012, 08:16 PM   #1
kitsch_brigade

Windwaker Zelda Crown

I am looking to make her crown, but I'm not really convinced of my methods. I was planning on casting it in resin, but I'm not sure if that's the best idea. For example should the gem and the rest of the crown be cast separately? Or all together and then paint accordingly? If I do cast it should it be made rigid or flexible so I can shape it around my head? I just can't think of how to make those weird hook pieces on the sides without sculpting it out of clay first.
kitsch_brigade is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-08-2012, 12:56 PM   #2
StabbityBlkMage
I eat emo kids.

Yeah casting would be a pain in the ass, but the results, obviously, would be stellar. Personally, since I'm not too fond of casting or its cost, I try to avoid it whenever a simpler solution is available. And to be honest I think I have one that would work quite nicely.

You can just make that thing out of a plastic sheet, cut to the shape you want (just the silhouette) then you can build up the bevels with bondo with styrene as a guide, or even simpler would be aves' apoxie sculpt. Since you seem confident in your sculpting skills I'd recommend apoxie sculpt.

You can read up about it here (http://www.avesstudio.com/index.php?...chk=1&Itemid=1)

It paints nicely, sands super smooth, and you can leave room to socket a gem into it if you so desire.

If you plan to cast it flexible I'd recommend against it since you can cast it out of plastic then heat it slightly to get a snug fit.

I attached some articles about how I go about sculpting with apoxie. The curved bits and round parts of the sword's handle were apoxie sculpt.
http://junkerscosplay.blogspot.com/2...-very-fun.html

Blogspot- Step by Step tutorials!
Facebook
Twitter - Day to day WIP!
Deviantart
StabbityBlkMage is offline   Reply With Quote