Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair

View Poll Results: Is ebay a good place to buy synthetic wigs?
Yes and it's easy to find decent ones 12 48.00%
No, it's hard to find decent ones 6 24.00%
Only if you lucky you'll get a decent wig 7 28.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 12-04-2012, 11:41 PM   #1
chibikairichan

Synthetic Wigs from Ebay?

If I was to wear a wig everyday would ebay be okay to buy? Because I have long hair but my parents want me to cut my hair short so I'm planning to wear a short wig evverryyyddaaayyy. And I need to know if there were any wigs that look LEGIT , lasts a while (At least 4-6 months?), and are cheap. Again is ebay a good place? (Hopefully your talking from experience and not from what you think. Lol!)

Last edited by chibikairichan : 12-04-2012 at 11:43 PM.
chibikairichan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-05-2012, 12:55 AM   #2
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Ebay is always hit or miss. You need to be careful of where you order from because many shops will steal images from legitimate wig sellers but sell lower quality products.You should check the review thread for reputable dealers.

Remember that a lot of times cheap prices mean cheap quality. For something that you are going to wear often you are going to want high quality and make sure that you care for your wig well.

If you want some high quality wigs I'd suggest Arda. They also provide a few good tutorials on styling as well.

Caring for your wig helps maintain the quality and thus the believably of it as 'realistic' .
Be sure to store your wig properly, keep it cleaned regularly, and make sure your hair is clean as well. If you wear a wig often it's going to get dirty and need washing and making sure your hair is clean will help keep your wig cleaner. Don't forget your wig caps! Once your wig caps get dirty you might want to throw them out and buy new ones.

As a note, do not wash wigs in normal shampoo. They sell shampoo specifically for wigs as well as conditioner if needed.

If your wig is heavy it would be worth buying wig clips and sewing them into the hairline of your wig. This will help keep the wig on and from slipping which in the long run helps keep your wig natural looking.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2012, 01:34 AM   #3
Jei-Cos
Jei-Cos

Since you are looking for something for everyday wear, I would say go for the more expensive stuff. Not cosplay stuff (I guess if you are ALSO using it for a costume, then yea why not, but otherwise no).

I knew a cancer patiant that lost her hair, and the ones she wore were still not human hair, but amazing quality. If you have a wig shop in the area, or even in the local malls (our mall has a stand that has tons of wigs that look and feel awesome and are low priced).

As for ebay, If you are looking for a cosplay wig to wear normally, get one from sellers like fantasy sheep and moemall
As for non ebay, I suggest arda as they are very beautiful wigs, and epiccosplay for the same reason

Hope this helps
-Either Hikari (Pokemon Platinum) or Roxanne (Pokemon Omega Ruby)
-Squall Leonhart (Dissidia: Final Fantasy)
-Akaito (Vocaloid. Re/Black ver)
Jei-Cos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2012, 01:52 PM   #4
WARPAINTandUnicorns
Black Magic Woman

Third Arda as my natural hair shades from them get confused for my real hair.

Just a question why is your parents wanting you to cut your hair short chibikairichan? As a girl I would usually fight my Mom about cutting my hair short as she wanted me to keep it long. lol

Anime North '15
Souryuu / Sohryu - Yami no Matsuei (Fri)
Nehelenia ~ Sailor Moon (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items, wigs, and materails for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!
WARPAINTandUnicorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2012, 03:43 PM   #5
novaraven1

look for a feature on the wig called full latex skin top, (the word full usually means a 4x5 inch section not just a button sized bit at the crown or a strip along the part) Having the fake latex skin on your wig will make it look more realistic, especially if it is a lighter colour like blond. Brands that have this are newlook and sepia and there are some at arda wigs as well now.
For an everyday wearing quality wig i would expect to pay 40-60$ for a synthetic one online. It would be double that cost in a retail store.
Also be careful about what the wig is made of. There are different levels of quality in synthetic fibers. Modlon is the lowest shiniest fakest looking stuff, next is kankelon, then elora and tokyokalon, and then fibers that are classed as heat resistant such as henlon and hiperlon. almost every e-bay seller labels their wigs as "heat resistant" or "japanese fiber" now even if they are not because that has become the new standard of quality that people look for. The actual word you are looking for if you are going to heat style your wig is Hiperlon fiber. If you contact the seller before you buy and they cannot tell you exactly what their wig is made from other than "japanese fiber" or "heat resistant fiber" you probably should not buy from them.
Personally I have been styling synthetic wigs for so many years now that unless i know i absolutely need to do high temperature heat styling (I cannot imagine why low temp warm water styling won't be just as effective on any wig) I am ok with buying a newlook or sepia brand wig made of elora fiber because they are slightly cheaper and look more realistic with the skintop feature than a comparable wig in heat resistant that does not have that feature. The exception I make is for special hard to find anime colours, or for super long wigs. I only buy very long wigs from epiccosplay.com now because they tangle less than any other wig I've ever owned. Even arda wigs tangle more in their long styles, they were originally designed for spiked and textured wig styling so the coarseness of their fiber reflects that throughout their wig line. Arda wigs are definitely not as soft as epic ones, but it depends what style you need your wig and what you personally prefer.

Last edited by novaraven1 : 12-05-2012 at 03:49 PM.
novaraven1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2012, 04:54 PM   #6
chibikairichan

lll

Last edited by chibikairichan : 10-25-2014 at 05:57 PM.
chibikairichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2012, 05:49 PM   #7
NiGHTmaren
...into Dreams
Modoka Magica

Agreeing with what others have said - it is hit or miss. Always read feedback when you are trying to decide on a wig, or anything, from eBay. I look for users who are selling and who have at least 100 feedbacks provided from buyers, and at least 98% positive. I'm especially wary of the images - stock images with another seller's business name logo on them, or photos of cosplayers (who are obviously not the seller) wearing the wigs make it more suspicious and less likely for me to trust them. I've had a lot of good experiences though, more hit than miss, but I'm also very careful of what I am getting myself into.

2014 - Upcoming Conventions :
Holiday Matsuri (FL)

Upcoming costumes : Suzie Q from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Edea Lee (various versions) from Bravely Default, Robotnik (genderbend) from Sonic, and more!

http://www.facebook.com/NiGHTmarenCosplay
NiGHTmaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2012, 08:58 PM   #8
Lithium Flower
Handphones

As another thought perhaps consider human hair wigs? They are generally much much more costly however.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2012, 01:27 PM   #9
SanctusMalum

A few thing to check, if the price of the wigs less then 10 dollars on buy it now free shipping are to be avoided, also if the seller has a rating bellow 90% don't buy (if the wig is styled 98%), to save money on a unstyled wig don't look by character but by color and length( that alone could save you 10-20 bucks), look for ones with lots of photos from multiple angles, and lastly styled wigs wont always look good unstyled.
Vocaloid, Dell Honnie
Batman, Black Mask (Khaotic 14, Metro 14)
Soul Eater, Spirit/Death Scythe (Shado 12, Metro 13&14)
Hetalia, England Cd (Metro 13, Khaotic 14)
Team Fortress 2, Blu Spy
Soul Eater, Giriko
Baccano!, Maiza Avaro
Pokemon, Giovanni (Khaotic 14)
SanctusMalum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2012, 01:32 PM   #10
Jei-Cos
Jei-Cos

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanctusMalum View Post
A few thing to check, if the price of the wigs less then 10 dollars on buy it now free shipping are to be avoided, also if the seller has a rating bellow 90% don't buy (if the wig is styled 98%), to save money on a unstyled wig don't look by character but by color and length( that alone could save you 10-20 bucks), look for ones with lots of photos from multiple angles, and lastly styled wigs wont always look good unstyled.
Oh, also, along with that part I made bold, Don't buy a porestyled wig....9.10 times it either will be ruined in shipping because they only ship in envelopes, which crushes spikes and curls and is just bad for the wig all together, or they ship you the BASE WIG only with zero styling..A lot of the ebay wigs are the second.
I saw once on a Sora (KH) wig, in the picture it was styled (very badly lol), but the desciption said you do not recieve a styled spiked wig, and that you have to do it yourself..Which kinda defetes the purpose of buying a wig because it was already styled lol....That was just an example, but most of the sellers do not tell you that they will not come styled, and that you have to do it yourself. Rather the opposite, you get a nice (or in this case terrible) surprise when you open the package to learn you paid for a styled wig that was never styled..
-Either Hikari (Pokemon Platinum) or Roxanne (Pokemon Omega Ruby)
-Squall Leonhart (Dissidia: Final Fantasy)
-Akaito (Vocaloid. Re/Black ver)
Jei-Cos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2012, 12:55 PM   #11
Karkles

well it depends, If you're like me and have a slightly bigger head than most people, ebay wills wont ever fit, I learned that the hard way. I recommend Arda wigs
Karkles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2013, 02:44 AM   #12
RedlaFlizan01

I used to buy the hairpieces before and now I seldom by such kind of style and about a week ago I bought a Wigs For Women as I want to have try of the short hair styles and the fact is that the Short Wigs For Women is of high quality but I am not suitable of short hair style, really a pity.

Last edited by RedlaFlizan01 : 10-18-2013 at 10:41 PM.
RedlaFlizan01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2013, 06:52 AM   #13
sooyong
Ninja for Hire

I usually use eBay as a last resort, if I can't find what I need elsewhere. Of the three wigs I've gotten, only one was of lower quality, but it was in the specific style I needed so it worked out.

I think price, item location, and feedback are good indicators. I would likely not go for a wig under $20. I'm also careful about China sellers, so I check their feedback to make sure.

I've never gotten an Arda wig, but many people have recommended them. I'd also recommend Amphigory, they also have some good quality wigs.

In Progress:
  • Sailor Star Healer (Sailor Moon: Sailor Stars)
  • Fantastic Baby G-Dragon
  • [Secret Project]

sooyong is offline   Reply With Quote