Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 11-26-2012, 09:24 PM   #1
ErzaScarlet

Help in weight loss and motivation please.

I am a 17 year old female a mix of white and asian. I am about 190-188 give or take the day. I know I am over weight and I dislike it. I am still in school but all the P.E. class are full and they don't give out a sport I like to do. Not to mention with my back problems its hard to do serten excires. I like to get down to 140-130 if at all possible. So I could get closer to my healthy weight. I am only about 5'1 so charts say I should be at 120. The only problem is I think I will look sickly that low in weight. My boobs and bum would easily kill me if I was that small.

So I want to get healthy and I like to do so by 2014 sakura con as I plan to go as Erza. And I love to be able to fit into smaller clothing and get healthy. My weight stored mostly on my stomick and thighs. What would be good excires that could help target thoughs areas while not straining or hurting my back alot? Also whats a good way to stay motivated when every week just about we get a project. Please and thank you to any who help me. Its been a problem sinces I become unactive in high school after my kendo buddies moved away.

Unread 11-26-2012, 10:23 PM   #2
Kuro Akui Ryuu
I bleed for you...

I've also got a LOT of weight to lose and I've already lost 10 lbs in about 3 weeks. I started eating less and healthy and I eat fruits a vegetables for snacks or I get those Special K snack bars. You should just eat smaller portions and healthy food and do some walking for now. I wouldn't know how to help you with the exercise thing since you have back problems, you should ask your doctor about that.

You can join this "race" we're having for motivation.
http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=307608
We've yet to set a deadline or have a grand prize for that matter but its already got me motivated and Im pumped to lose more weight. Its easier to stay motivated when you got a bunch of people to "race" to the finish.

AX 2014 Cosplays:
Lady HUNK (Resident Evil)
Raven (Teen Titans)
Winter Soldier (Captain America 2)
The Great Fairy (Legend of Zelda)
Kuro Akui Ryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2012, 10:27 PM   #3
ErzaScarlet

Thanks for the help Kuro Akui Ryuu. I am trying to eat more vegstables. I dislike a good amount but am better with my fruite. I am trying to eat healthy as I can. With the econamy fresh fruites and vegstables always in the house isen't always what I can get.

As for my back I just have to be careful and can't do to many floor crucnhec or sit up becuse they start to hurt. Boobs and weight don't help it. Hence another reason I am trying to lose weight and I will check out the races.
Unread 11-26-2012, 11:00 PM   #4
Sokar

What are you currently eating on a daily basis? Nutrition is key to weight loss as well as exercise done properly. What is the nature of your back issues? Knowing this may help me to suggest some exercises for you that do not directly effect those issue areas.
Sokar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2012, 11:02 PM   #5
Cephas
ICXC NIKA

First thing in the day (before you eat) walk at a comfortable pace for one hour. Do this every day.
Cephas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2012, 11:11 PM   #6
ErzaScarlet

{Answer for Sokar}
Mornings: Ceral,Milk some times a lucnh sandwitch freshly made

Lunch: This varries due to me eating at school. Most days its a lunch packed with a four inch sub turkey or ham with chesse no condiment to lazy to get it. Carrorts I eat but not the celearl which they switch. Some times rasizes which I do. With some sort of fruite snack or prezels. I try not to eat the not even small bag of glazed chips. And normal drink water as the school milk taste bad to me. Other times its the specail or brefrest for lunch whcih they some timess do.

Dinner: Again varries but we eat spegeti alot, Chicken, Mexican food like home made fahetas or enchaladas.

As for my back. I had it x-rayed not long ago but it showed no brakes. They didn;t say if any cracks or brake as they only did one. Becuse last winter I fell hard on my sholder due to ice and me running to my bus. Its normal pain down my spine normal to my lower back.

{Amswer for Cephas}
I would try that other than. I wake up at 5:30 in the morning from there I take a shower, Make brefest make sure I have every thing done and am radey for school and then out the door at 6:40 to catch my bus. Dosen't realy work out your way. Also not to mention I am in rainy washington I sware it rains 80% out of the year hear. Well on the side of washington I am on.
Unread 12-02-2012, 12:41 AM   #7
Mikamura Eiko

(HUGS) I know how you feel. I have never felt like I was pretty. Maybe you should try Latin or some other form of dancing. It is fun and it is easy on your knees( I have bad knees). Belly dancing would really help your abs. Also, I would recommend that you start walking for 30 min to an hour for 5 days a week. I have lost most of my weight just by walking alone! Good luck and if you want to more advice, I am more than happy to try to help you! ^_^
Mikamura Eiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2012, 10:04 PM   #8
ErzaScarlet

Thanks Mika
Unread 12-02-2012, 10:13 PM   #9
VickyAmis
Banned

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokar View Post
What are you currently eating on a daily basis? Nutrition is key to weight loss as well as exercise done properly. What is the nature of your back issues? Knowing this may help me to suggest some exercises for you that do not directly effect those issue areas.
Yeah. exercise is the most healthy and effective way.
VickyAmis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2012, 02:45 AM   #10
FireInMyEyes
Native American Overlord

Exercise is the healthiest way to weight loss. Plus, if your already trying to eat healthier, then exercise will speed it up a bit.

In response to your eating habits, you really have to get creative and sometimes, just throw junk out. You have to think of every possible way to make it healthier. I don't eat food from school, I make my own for the fear of what is in the other stuff. Make sure the stuff your eating, though it might SEEM healthy, doesn't have any preservatives, chemicals, fat ect. I've noticed that my problem was what was in the food I ate.

What I do sometimes is every week I go two or three days eating only vegetarian food. That really helped me.

For motivation, I finally just printed out pictures of the thin character I want to cosplay and posted them on the fridge, pantry, bread drawer. So whenever I go there to eat something, I see the pics and am reminded to ea healthy so I can cosplay that character!

Somethings I do on a daily basis to burn some calories (This doesn't include what I do at the gym) are I do 20 situps, 20 push-ups and 20 squats before bed and in the morning. It's quick and easy. With your back problems, I suggest putting a folded blanket under your lower back for the sit ups. Also, if you need to, do girly swim push ups. Cross your ankles, use your knees, push up, go down, lift hands, do another push-up.

To get motivated, I go on health blogs and look at my thinspiration (thin characters I want to cosplay or sayings and cute pics). Getting motivated for the gym is hard. I mean, I'm gonna be doing an intense workout, so I need motivation! I listen to pump up music. I talk in the mirror about how hawt I'll look. I think about all the compliments I WANT to hear.

Good luck!!!
FireInMyEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2012, 03:31 AM   #11
cowsrcute

I have a few tips that I think work nicely.
1) Every meal should have some veges. Veges are better than fruit in a way since fruits have fructose which is a form of sugar (and sugar is sugar) while some veges have little to no calories gained when eaten. Anyways, I know veges can be nasty but they really do help. You can mix and match veges and fruits into a fruit salad to make it tastier. Anyways, eat a salad and if you really can't stand salad, eat a fruit before your actual meal. Treat it like an appetizer. That way, it will help fill you up and you eat less of the more fattening stuff. Your breakfast seems okay but lunch and dinner definitely try this if you want.

2) Don't starve yourself! It is better to eat 5 small meals than 3 large meals. You can also try having 3 normal meals with some healthy snacks. The most important thing is if you are hungry, eat. But only eat healthy low calorie foods for the snack method if you are going the 3 meal with snacks way. That way you don't keep eating snacks that are bad for you. When you are hungry and you don't eat, your body will just be put in a state of panic and start storing food for what it thinks will be a food shortage.

3) If you are new at this, I suggest slowly going into this habit. First, just do this for one day and see if this can be something that will become a lifestyle rather than just a short term thing. Just play around with this every other day. Don't test out different things every day because you will just not like it more and more. Even if something would have normally worked for you since you been doing it everyday, your mood would be going down. Anyways, after you found a good thing that works for you, try doing that two days of the week. Once you are comfortable, go for 3 days, then 4 and so on. It might be a good idea to let yourself have a cap of 6 days a week with one cheat day so long as this cheat day does not consist of engorging yourself. My cheat day is on Saturday since I go home that day and my mom forces me to eat tons of food and no veges in sight.

4) For the exercise thing, my back always hurts a lot too whenever I stand or sit upright for over 30 minutes. I think it might be because you have big boobs which is my problem too since it puts weight on your front side. My exercise is pretty light since I know if i make it to hard I won't do it. So make the exercise something doable for you, not something you know you won't do in the long term. I only take a 15-20 minute jog. Then I take a break. Not to much later (since I like exercise in the morning), I will do some stretches and dance exercise for 30 minutes. (I can't dance but I like too. lol) Then I rest some more! Then I go for a walk/jog around my campus at whatever pace I like. That would be it for the day!

5)Motivation! I come up with my own reward system. Basically, I came up with rewarding myself with something I like. For the jogging thing, I always jog to the pet store about 20 blocks away. If I get there early I keep jogging to get to 15 minutes at least. Then I play with the animals which is my reward. My other motivational tool is something I call the fun food game! I give myself points for completing certain task such as exercising and eating the right amount of nutrients I need (so I won't be harming myself. I took a nutrition class to find out but there are charts online and you just keep track of it for like a week and the you will get the hang of it so you won't always have to fill a chart.) Then, if I eat less calories than I burn (using my nutrition book but there are online calculators to tell you what activities burn what), I will subtract them and take those as points. If I eat more than I burn, I lose points. Then these points can be traded in for something else I like which is money! I tape money to my wall so I just redeem my points and I get to spend my money.

Motivation is different for everyone though so you really have to be the one who wants to change yourself enough to do it. Anyways, good luck!~
cowsrcute is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2012, 09:23 PM   #12
ErzaScarlet

Thank you both of you I will try and start doing so and again as I said bit hard to always have fresh fruites and vegess and I admit. I rather have fruite then most vegstables. Will be starting every thing once my once a months over as I get so tired and lazy but also in sever pain so I rather wait to start.
Unread 12-06-2012, 09:59 PM   #13
rndmguy

This is (not-so)short version of the weight management basics I give people. I know it's a lot to read even in its condensed form, but I know for sure this information is what you need to get started on your goals.

Where you are now it's very possible for you to lose weight without much exercise. It'll only take you so far, but it will be the basic principles you learn now that will help you in the future.

Weight loss is really simple. So simple that people over-complicate it.

You have to burn more calories than you take in.

So the very first thing I have people do when they ask me how to lose weight is to calculate their caloric needs. You're still probably growing if you're only 17, so the calculators you can find online are going to be more off than normal, but the important thing to remember is that any calculation you get for caloric needs is just an estimate. You're going to have to play around with the numbers to see what works with you.

Very simply and quickly, your body has a set amount of calories it burns daily just to function. When you multiply this with your activity level you get your total caloric needs.

In all actuality, you can eat whatever you want and lose weight so long you eat under your caloric needs. Now, don't take that as me saying to eat nothing but McDonalds all the time. Can you lose weight doing that? Yes. Is it a smart thing nutrition wise to do? No. But I often include ice cream and chocolate into my diets no problem.

To be honest, you need to. If you deprive yourself of such things, like quitting cold turkey, you're probably going to binge and hate yourself for it. You'll end up taking one step forward and two steps back.

But let's put all of this in a real world setting.

Let's say for your age, weight, and height that your BMR is 1200. You're sedentary, which means you sit around and do nothing, so that's going to mean that you'll need roughly 1400 calories a day to stay the same weight. But let's say all of a sudden you start exercising, let's say 3 days a week, that pushes you up to 1560 calories to stay the same weight. On it's own it may not seem like a big deal, but let's combine diet and exercise together. So if you were normally eating 1400 calories a day and started walking 3 days a week, you'd pretty much lose 700 calories a week. Now, combine this with proper dieting and say you only eat 1200 calories, you're not creating a much larger deficit.

That's why diet and exercise combined is the best goal.

But let's say realistically you probably need to eat somewhere between 2200-2500 calories a day to maintain your weight currently. Without any exercise, you could cut back 300 calories a day or so and see slow and steady progress.

But this is why calculating your needs is the very important first step. It's the most important step in my opinion. Sure, a lot of people do fine with guess work, but it's much easier to create realistic goals this way.

This is just a start, and if you'd like more detailed explanations then I'd be more than happy to share. We can debate on what you should eat, how often you should eat, and so on.

But the only important thing is that you remain in a calorie deficit. That's the only way to lose weight. Eating one meal or ten meals a day doesn't matter if you're eating above your needs.
rndmguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2012, 10:24 PM   #14
ErzaScarlet

Thanks for the help.