Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair > User-Submitted Wig FAQ's and Tutorial Threads

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 143 votes, 4.99 average.
Unread 04-01-2012, 04:00 PM   #751
Kartos

Location has no bearing on the process. The FW Ink website shows they sell it in Canada. If you can't seem to get it, you only need to test alcohol based inks. FW is just the most amazing kind.
Kartos is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-03-2012, 11:22 AM   #752
Dark Cherry

I'm looking for some advice to dying a rainbow wig I have a pure white wig and I'm trying to dye it rainbow for a rainbow dash cosplay, should I do each colour separately, as in dye and rinse? Or start with yellow and do them all together...and rinse all at once. My biggest concern is having the other colours bleed into the yellow.~_~
Dark Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2012, 08:51 PM   #753
sporatic

Hello I was using this method for dying on a White wig, So far I've used.. two batches consisting of.
1 cup 70% alcohal
4 drops red
4 drops Yellow
The ink we used was "speedball" as I couldn't find any FW around my area.

Now i've run into some problems with the roots of the wig, Right now I'm having a hard time with keeping the dye on the undersides and roots of the wig are there any suggestions?

Also I'm wondering If I should Comb and rinse between dye batches or do that when I've applied all my batches at the end?

I hope I worded this in an understandable way and thanks in Advance!
Unread 07-19-2012, 08:24 AM   #754
osushi
Rustling your jimmies

Will I be able to tint a black wig dark brown with this method? I know you can't dye dark wigs lighter colors, but I have a black wig that is a very flat black color. I just want it to seem like there's a brown-ish tint when it's under the sun.

I suppose that when I rinse it, all the brown will sort of just disappear since this is transparent, but I thought I'd ask anyway.
Unread 07-19-2012, 08:27 AM   #755
Kartos

It might work. There's no harm in trying, right?
Unread 07-19-2012, 08:38 AM   #756
Kartos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cherry View Post
I'm looking for some advice to dying a rainbow wig I have a pure white wig and I'm trying to dye it rainbow for a rainbow dash cosplay, should I do each colour separately, as in dye and rinse? Or start with yellow and do them all together...and rinse all at once. My biggest concern is having the other colours bleed into the yellow.~_~
I hope if this was for BronyCon it worked out! I would do them separate and just be very careful. I dyed wefts for a Rainbow Dash using Prismacolors in a similar to this method, and overall it came out well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sporatic View Post
Hello I was using this method for dying on a White wig, So far I've used.. two batches consisting of.
1 cup 70% alcohal
4 drops red
4 drops Yellow
The ink we used was "speedball" as I couldn't find any FW around my area.

Now i've run into some problems with the roots of the wig, Right now I'm having a hard time with keeping the dye on the undersides and roots of the wig are there any suggestions?

Also I'm wondering If I should Comb and rinse between dye batches or do that when I've applied all my batches at the end?

I hope I worded this in an understandable way and thanks in Advance!
Rinse between, combing might not matter. The repeated method helps it tint the plastic, and then it can take on a bit more color later. There is a certain point where it won't take on any more. However, it will take a while, from what I remember the last time I did it.

As long as the speedball is alcohol based, it won't matter. I use Prismacolors straight onto a wig when I'm being very lazy about it or for just the tips. lol FW just has a very vast color selection, and is high quality, (very saturated).

Since you're using reds and yellows, even if the skintop (if you have one) dyes, it won't be very noticeable, so just saturate the crap out of those roots! I would also leave it out to dry in the sun for an afternoon or day, (as long as it's not too hot, I don't know the melting point of most wigs offhand...), before you rinse it out. I had success with making a platinum wig a vibrant yellow by doing that in the spring a few years back.

ALSO! Don't be afraid to use more dye than originally suggested in this method. I made a wig the color of the statue of liberty, and had to mix in a lot of various colors to get the exact shade. I ended up with a very inky mixture, but since it wasn't super dark, it didn't make too much difference in how much it took. This just goes to show you can change it up, just don't do anything too drastic without testing it first!
Unread 08-19-2012, 07:24 PM   #757
KGaleway

Has anyone ever had success with FW Ink dyes where other methods have failed? I've got a wig that has resisted several kinds of hot bath fabric dyes, so I'm concerned that in the case of this wig any more attempts at dyeing might be a waste of money.
KGaleway is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2012, 05:23 PM   #758
kitsch_brigade

I'm dying a light yellow wig to more of a slight green tint. Since I'm starting with a yellow wig would you just use a green colour or make a yellow green to spray?
kitsch_brigade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2012, 12:11 AM   #759
Kawaii Pocky
I a shower, not a grower!

What color marker can I use to turn a white wig, silver/light grey?
Planned Cosplays 2013:
C.C. - Code Geass (100%)
Akihiko Sanada - Persona 3 (100%)
Lolita - (100%)
Yukiko Alt Color - Persona 3/Persona 4 Arena (planned)
Catherine - Catherine (planned)
Sebastian - Black Butler (planned)
Shiro Lolita - (planned)
Kawaii Pocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2012, 08:16 AM   #760
Pirogoeth05
Western cosplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawaii Pocky View Post
What color marker can I use to turn a white wig, silver/light grey?
I recently hand Sharpie-d a wig silver. It is for my GIR gijinka. I remember reading a few places that you can't use silver Sharpie in any other way because the metallic part will separate. But it looks awesome in the end, so it's worth it.

Pirogoeth05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2012, 12:07 AM   #761
Kawaii Pocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirogoeth05 View Post
I recently hand Sharpie-d a wig silver. It is for my GIR gijinka. I remember reading a few places that you can't use silver Sharpie in any other way because the metallic part will separate. But it looks awesome in the end, so it's worth it.
Derp. Okay, I misunderstood part of your post. That doesn't look bad. Just trying to figure out if it looks shiny? Your wig looks good and that doesn't look too dark for the color I'm going for.

Sorry, one more question. Do you let the sharpie dye dry in the wig? I know it sounds dumb but I wasn't sure if you have the wash the wig? I never sharpie dyed before so I was curious.
Planned Cosplays 2013:
C.C. - Code Geass (100%)
Lolita - (100%)
Shiro Lolita - (planned)

Last edited by Kawaii Pocky : 12-08-2012 at 12:12 AM.
Unread 12-09-2012, 08:45 PM   #762
Pirogoeth05
Western cosplayer

I washed the wig a few times after I finished coloring it. It gets the excess out but it doesn't affect the color. It's great! It has a very slight silver shine to it without making the wig look uber-shiny and like a bad wig. If that makes any sense.

Pirogoeth05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2012, 12:15 PM   #763
Kawaii Pocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirogoeth05 View Post
I washed the wig a few times after I finished coloring it. It gets the excess out but it doesn't affect the color. It's great! It has a very slight silver shine to it without making the wig look uber-shiny and like a bad wig. If that makes any sense.
Okay, awesome. I just got my wig today and was going to start coloring it after I cut it.
Planned Cosplays 2013:
C.C. - Code Geass (100%)
Lolita - (100%)
Shiro Lolita - (planned)
Unread 12-18-2012, 06:04 AM   #764
PixiePopNixie
Nixie The Pixie

Hello!

I'm making Daniella and struggling to find a good wig base for her. So, I'm thinking of colouring a wig myself (to be exact, I found the perfect wig for her that I'd just need to put the curls in, but it was £50/$82 annnnd I'm not willing to spend that much)

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__...ellarender.png - Daniella

My question is, what would be a good wig colour to start with? I have a darkish silver wig, and I'm wondering if that would be too dark for the purple?

Also, I'll need to add those curls in. I'm not entirely sure of the technique I'm going to use for that, but several of the techniques is to use a curling iron or curl it round something and wash it was hot water. Will the inks be effected by either of those techniques? (the third technique is clue and wire, and I'm not too worried about that)
PixiePopNixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2012, 01:57 AM   #765
Deluxe00

I just received my Fantasy Sheep wig http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=...id=13011014196 in the mail today, and it is the wrong color. I wanted black, but I got the dark grey. Would it be possible to dye it jet black using this method?
Deluxe00 is offline   Reply With Quote