Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 12-06-2012, 07:19 PM   #1
tardismuch

tips on bustle gowns?

so if anyone has any tips for sewing victorian bustles and/or bustle gowns id love them to share
my nest costume is a stempunk one and it does include a bustle, i have never sewn a bustle but i think i get in in theory. however bustles are included in alot of my upcoming cosplays and because i have no experiance with them id love some advice! thanks guys!
tardismuch is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-06-2012, 08:36 PM   #2
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

One of the best pieces of advice I can give would be to get some historically accurate patterns and try them out. I know they can be expensive, but they are extremely helpful. I suggest Truly Victorian patterns to people all the time. Though I have also just played around with a huge trapezoid of fabric and gathered it here and there just to get an interesting effect. The other thing I can say is a must is either a bustle pillow or bustle cage. You just won't achieve the same shape without one or the other. Your bustle will go flat and look like a mess without them.
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2012, 09:24 AM   #3
Penlowe

If you are planning multiple different bustled costumes, building a good bustle cage that is separate from the costume will be worth your while. Just like buying the backless strapless bra, you only need one to wear under any number of tops. I second the historical patterns as well, you can change or update the materials for the construction according to your budget, but few people can design better that what has already been proven to work.