Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 12-02-2012, 04:28 PM   #1
chibi_saru
She-Monkey

Making a petticoat?

Has anyone ever made their own petticoat? if so what kind of materials did you use? did you layer or not? trying to make one (cause I'd rather make than buy) and I just wanted to see if anyone ever made one before. be cool to see it if you have a pic too!
chibi_saru is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-03-2012, 08:01 AM   #2
Penlowe

Making your own petticoat is worthwhile if:
- You desire a specific color not commonly available
- you are unusually tall/ short/ slim/ wide or generally have a real struggle with off the rack clothing
- you just love incredibly tedious sewing.

Petticoats are one of the few items where it is often much more worth ones while to buy because the time and incredibly boring tedium of making ruffles and ruffles and ruffles and ruffles and ruffles and ruffles and ruffles and ruffles and ruffles and ruffles and ruffles and ruffles and ruffles and ruffles and ruffles and... you get the point.

I once did some ladies costumes for Oklahoma, very full petticoat, circle and a half ruffled skirt, circle ruffled pinafore; times EIGHT. I sat down afterwords and realized I had literally ruffled almost a mile of fabric. If I never do another petticoat again in my life I can die happy.
Unread 12-03-2012, 08:58 AM   #3
GunKatCosplay
GunKatCosplay

I make all my own petticoats due to cost reasons, because in order to get the fluff that I want, I would need several layered on top of each other, and even then they would bunch up around the waist. I also use altered petticoats to give my skirt the needed fluff, like with my Chii skirt.

The best tutorial I have found is http://our-solemn-hour.deviantart.co...rial-119078565. Don't get freaked out by the math, it's not super important that you get it perfect, just make sure that you have at least 2x the previous layer.

Making a Petticoat is time consuming but soothing, and I would only recommend it if you have a sewing machine and the ability to sew on it for hours. I just put on the TV and go.
GunKatCosplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2012, 11:05 AM   #4
Fénicia
Professional Seamstress

tutorial om making a petticoat: http://users.telenet.be/the-mermaid/...petticoate.htm
Unread 12-04-2012, 12:40 PM   #5
chibi_saru
She-Monkey

[quote=Penlowe;4561510]Making your own petticoat is worthwhile if:
- You desire a specific color not commonly available
- you are unusually tall/ short/ slim/ wide or generally have a real struggle with off the rack clothing

I am making it a different color, and I always have a hard time finding a good fitting anything. I'm tall, big boned, and a bit on the fluffy side LOL.

And thanks GunKatCosplay! That one will really help! Will probably make some layers with tulle underneath to give it a fill underneath the main petticoat. I'm gonna be wearing nothing but tights and a different style dress that rests over the petticoat itself
Unread 12-04-2012, 01:07 PM   #6
Falclon

Is this for a short or long dress? I make my own petticoats for lolita/cosplays because it's impossible to find the poof of the size that I get for sale, and I want the petticoat to be the perfect length for the dress so it doesn't show and doesn't have that awkward limp area from it being too short. When I wear my petticoat to lolita meet ups they don't even believe I am wearing just one. xD The tutorial Fenicia posted is very good, but as for what materials to use I wouldn't suggest tulle as it is pretty weak and will lose its poof pretty soon. For mine I did three layers, the top and bottom of organza and the middle being "specialty netting" that Joann's has for sale. The netting is what really helps it to get big but the organza keeps it from itching your legs or possibly scratching at the inside of the dress.

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/...ps7367c335.jpg **note: it isn't quite that large under a dress as the dress will weigh it down
Unread 12-04-2012, 02:03 PM   #7
Akahime
Red Princess

I was wondering how to make my own too. Thanks for posting this thread and the people who have been posting down pointers and links. Can't wait to get this a try.
Quina (FFIX), Kat (Gravity Rush), Nausicaä (Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind)?, Cheria (Tales of Graces)?, Tia of Avalon Code, Lan Fan of Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood, Kyoko of Skip Beat!, Monster Hunter?

Next cons: Midoricon, Anime Fusion?
Cosplayer and photographer. Follow me at my DA, twitter, or my tumblr!
Akahime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2012, 03:07 PM   #8
chibi_saru
She-Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falclon View Post
Is this for a short or long dress? I make my own petticoats for lolita/cosplays because it's impossible to find the poof of the size that I get for sale, and I want the petticoat to be the perfect length for the dress so it doesn't show and doesn't have that awkward limp area from it being too short. When I wear my petticoat to lolita meet ups they don't even believe I am wearing just one. xD The tutorial Fenicia posted is very good, but as for what materials to use I wouldn't suggest tulle as it is pretty weak and will lose its poof pretty soon. For mine I did three layers, the top and bottom of organza and the middle being "specialty netting" that Joann's has for sale. The netting is what really helps it to get big but the organza keeps it from itching your legs or possibly scratching at the inside of the dress.

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/...ps7367c335.jpg **note: it isn't quite that large under a dress as the dress will weigh it down
Thats what I'm wanting but I want it to be full underneath. the dress is about knee length but I want some of the poof to show in a special way. I'm taking a bit of the dress ends and making them 'witchy' looking. like pointed at the end so it gives it a bit of an custom look. was only going to use the tulle underneath. like sewn into the seam that connects the first top piece the second piece. covering up my legs cause I'll have some tights on but I'm afraid they'll show stuff if I bend a certain way.

the very top layer will be the stiff netting from JoAnn's.
Unread 12-08-2012, 10:45 AM   #9
Falclon

If by full underneath you mean like a solid wall of lace, that's pretty much what mine looks like. 48 yards of lace will do that for you. As long as you get high quality tulle that should be fine, just be warned that Joann's does have some cheap tulle that will actually tear fairly easily.