Go Back   Cosplay.com > Canada Convention Forums > Anime North

Reply
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Unread 12-08-2012, 06:25 PM   #1
Nightwitch-Kat
Busty Princessa
 
Nightwitch-Kat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,303
The 'What would you like to see at Anime North' Thread

I noticed that we don't have one of these yet, so I figured I would pop one out for all of your perusal.

BTW no I am not one of the Anime North runners or volunteers, it is just something I am always curious about.

PLUS! If someone suggests something that multiple people like, we could always suggest it!

My ideas/suggestions
  • A running of the - I saw one of these back at Anime North 2007 and they look really fun! I suppose if we wanted to get more than just one series involved we could do a running of the bishie/bishoujo
__________________
~ Up coming Cons ~
  • Anime North 2014
  • Con-G 2014

~ Up coming Cosplays ~
  • Princess Peach - Super Smash Bros
Nightwitch-Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Unread 12-09-2012, 12:58 PM   #2
222Coin222
Registered User
 
222Coin222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 20
Better organization with the lines on Thursday for people picking up their tags and the weapons check. Seriously that was so confusing finding out that I had to get into the same line, which then split off into two lines after we had just got our tickets to go to the weapon's check.
222Coin222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2012, 02:15 PM   #3
TMLiza
Make All The Things!
 
TMLiza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 6,228
^Yes! It was very confusing.

Also in the same vein, better line system during the rest of the weekend. It took forever for me to figure out how to get into the dealers room and weapons check on other days because of the fact that the line for picking up the badge was in the same area.
__________________
Working on...
|Natsume(Tokyo Ravens)|Player Character(God Eater)|Morgiana(green blouse version, Magi)|Camellia Meiko(Vocaloid)|Emerald(RWBY)|Cerise Wolf(Ever After High)| Yona (Akatsuki no Yona)

~DA~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cospix~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

TMLiza is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2012, 09:24 PM   #4
Mokmo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 196
Me, because chances i'll be able to go are, right now, depending on winning the 6/49 lol
Mokmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2012, 04:01 AM   #5
jukebox
role models > supermodels
 
jukebox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 637
- A more expedient pre-reg line! I was on the lucky end of things because I did group reg, and that was a lot quicker to process because I think people panicked about the attendance cap and registered by themselves instead of co-ordinating the # of people needed for a group rate. But I felt baaaaad looking at that line-up. The whole point of pre-con pickup is to streamline things. The AN people need to look at their numbers beforehand and plan accordingly.

- Honestly, some sort of policy that keeps photographing cosplayers in the dealer's room from happening so frequently. Aside from the fact that it's a pretty serious block for foot-traffic, it could also potentially interfere with copyright on the merch being sold at tables.

- Some BioWare and Mass Effect cosplayers. YOU ARE MY PEOPLE.
__________________
SCHEDULE 2014
  • ConBravo
  • FanExpo

PROFILES
GEEKPR0N | Twitter | deviantArt
jukebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2012, 04:21 AM   #6
Miliyah
Registered User
 
Miliyah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 704
im hoping that they organize an external pass pick up location in downtown toronto. i work an office job in the area, so it'd be much more convenient for me (and im sure for many other people as well) to pick up passes there on thursday and friday to lighten up the travel load and save on time.
__________________
Pop Idol Dance Showcase 2014
Miliyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2012, 08:40 AM   #7
DireKitty
Captain Kittens
 
DireKitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by jukebox View Post
- Honestly, some sort of policy that keeps photographing cosplayers in the dealer's room from happening so frequently. Aside from the fact that it's a pretty serious block for foot-traffic, it could also potentially interfere with copyright on the merch being sold at tables.
There is a policy (can't disrupt traffic, so its a no no in the dealers room)... but its not like people are going to pay attention to it. There isn't much that can be done to stop them either because it's so rampant.

There's even open space at the sides of the dealer room (and at the back) but people feel compelled to stop right in the middle of the pathway.

This happens at the DT as well and I find i'm often asking people to move.... I feel like a snowplow at times.
__________________
Anime North Cosplay Photoshoots Staff
Kayle - League of Legends
Official Anime North Forums

Anime North Reddit Community
DireKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2012, 10:38 AM   #8
Nightwitch-Kat
Busty Princessa
 
Nightwitch-Kat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokmo View Post
Me, because chances i'll be able to go are, right now, depending on winning the 6/49 lol
Aww that sucks, I send you a hug!
__________________
~ Up coming Cons ~
  • Anime North 2014
  • Con-G 2014

~ Up coming Cosplays ~
  • Princess Peach - Super Smash Bros
Nightwitch-Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2012, 11:36 AM   #9
Rainbowgasm
fruity goodness!
 
Rainbowgasm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by DireKitty View Post
There is a policy (can't disrupt traffic, so its a no no in the dealers room)... but its not like people are going to pay attention to it. There isn't much that can be done to stop them either because it's so rampant.

There's even open space at the sides of the dealer room (and at the back) but people feel compelled to stop right in the middle of the pathway.

This happens at the DT as well and I find i'm often asking people to move.... I feel like a snowplow at times.
last year I didn't make it into the dealers room for more then 10 minutes before closing, so we just said yes if people asked because there was hardly anyone there anymore, and everyone was at a standstill by the door ways anyways because of the bottle effect... but we usually try to tell people when they ask that its not allowed... sometimes if its not very busy we'll let them off to the side, but honestly, if you say no, a lot of people will snap a picture anyways, which annoys the hell out of me... so I don't know what to do half the time... that's why we avoided the dealers area as a whole group this year, and just went in pairs for short periods... less attention that way, less photos asked for... but we had a bad time in AA trying to stop people, they'd ask, we'd say its not allowed, even staff would tell them, and they'd take a picture anyways... and then there's the dealers and artists who want a picture... we usually try to let them take a picture because its not like they can leave their table to go outside and take pictures, but its always something that I cringe at because i know it blocks things sometimes...

As for what I'd like to see... I'd like to see more people being aware of what's around them... seriously... if you bump into a cosplayer and spill something on them or break something of theirs... you better know how to RUN... XP
__________________
Next Con & Cosplays: Otakuthon as
Mami Tomoe from Pulla Magi Madoka Magica
Riza Hawkeye from FullMetal Alchemist Brotherhood
Battler Ushiromiya from Umineko no Naku Koro Ni

Last edited by Rainbowgasm : 12-10-2012 at 11:39 AM.
Rainbowgasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2012, 05:31 PM   #10
Kaijugal
☆FibreFantasyArtist
 
Kaijugal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,487
Post Registration

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Coin222 View Post
Better organization with the lines on Thursday for people picking up their tags and the weapons check. Seriously that was so confusing finding out that I had to get into the same line, which then split off into two lines after we had just got our tickets to go to the weapon's check.
The official Anime North Website has an apology regarding last year's unforseen registration problems here: http://www.animenorth.com/live/ (I've quoted it below).

Quote:
"Anime North Registration would like to apologize for the difficulties experienced by some con-goers with Registration on Thursday and Friday night. We made errors that badly affected the enjoyment of the convention for some of you, and will correct them for next year's con."
More reg details here: http://animenorth.com/live/index.php...d=43&Itemid=67

I hope this is helpful.
I look forward to seeing all my awesome cosplaying cohorts from cosplay.com at Anime North in 2013~ !

Cheers!
~Kaiju
__________________
COSTUME-CON 32 - 2014

The International Costuming Convention is coming to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Dealers, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels, Contests, Classes and Events. Costumes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitons, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, Big Fricken Trophies and so much more!
***
Get your membership today!
www.costumecon32.com
Kaijugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2012, 09:41 PM   #11
Kagomekai
Registered User
 
Kagomekai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 274
What I would like is not to have the price increase, I understand that they have to increase it every few years or so but still I only found out this week that they were increasing the weekend passes to 50 dollars, Unfortunately I can't get enough people together for a group so my boyfriend and I are forced to pay the 50 each. If the group size was a bit smaller I could get one together and only pay the 45 each for the entire weekend.

The only reason I can't get a group of 10 or more people is because all of my friends that go always get their group passes with my ex, which is annoying but still. Also buy early especially if you are like me and my boyfriend who can't get the group price because this year it is 60 past the early pre-reg time granted by then all the weekend passes should be sold by then or be almost sold out.

Here's the information concerning the increase and registration stuff for this year. http://www.animenorth.com/live/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout= blog&id=43&Itemid=67
__________________
Cosplays for 2014
Ankh (Fem! Human version)
Gokai Blue/Female Super Megaforce blue
Gajinka Gatomon (humanoid)
Ymir from SNK
Kagomekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2012, 10:04 PM   #12
Ivy Sun
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 62
. . .getting back to the orginal topic of the thread. . . .
some craft 'how to' pannels would be awesome. like knitting and cross stitching.
cosplay conga lines only around one area that dosent cross the streets.
the dealers room and AA and CC in the North building and other events at the south building as to open up for more attendees.

just a few ideas.
a short side note. I only had the day pass for saturday last year and I had almost no issues with the way the line was run. it was just confusing to how it weaved back and forth then around the out side of the parking lot. . .odd but the code scanning was A Lot faster then them looking up your name in a binder. also Still Majorly AGAINST having to put my real name on my badge. I get the reasons told to me but I still want my real name kept privet. I have met some really iffy people in the past and most people know me by my online name any way.
__________________
Cosplay =/= Consent!

Infinite Pocket Cosplay (previously known as Mad_sew)
"Your costume is my passion!"
mad_sew@hotmail.com

2014 Con line up
Feb- Con G
May- Anime North
Ivy Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2012, 10:30 PM   #13
Kagomekai
Registered User
 
Kagomekai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 274
I was on topic about what I would like to happen IE not have the increase (but that won't happen.)

Ya I don't like having to have my actual name on my badge either but not much we can really do too much about that either, one thing that I prefer from Otakuthon over Anime North.
__________________
Cosplays for 2014
Ankh (Fem! Human version)
Gokai Blue/Female Super Megaforce blue
Gajinka Gatomon (humanoid)
Ymir from SNK
Kagomekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2012, 10:18 AM   #14
WARPAINTandUnicorns
Black Magic Woman
 
WARPAINTandUnicorns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 11,467
I've lost count when the last price increase was... Probably the third year after the move to the TCC.... 2006?



With panels and workshops you need someone to run it.
http://teahouseofthemaplemoon.yuku.c...s#.UMdM4YXxiUM



As to the North building I know that the rent for that space is higher then the south (as it's "NEW") so if they do rent it out that will have to expand attendance to cover that cost and increase ticket prices as well.

It would still be great as it would expand the area of the dealers room as well (more dealers can rent space and more foot space for people).

I know that the waiting list for the dealer room is close to if not the same number as the dealer that already have a spot.


I know that IMATS I've been going to the past 3 years had a first come/pay first served policy so you get some nice turn around each year of sellers in the North build each year. Because of the popularity of it they finally moved to MTCC this coming year as they had enough attendances to cover the cost for the move and dealer request for more space.
__________________

Anime North '15
Souryuu / Sohryu - Yami no Matsuei (Fri)
Nehelenia ~ Sailor Moon (Sat)


Future cosplays/cons:
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride


For Sale
cosplay items, wigs, and materails for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!

Last edited by WARPAINTandUnicorns : 12-11-2012 at 10:23 AM.
WARPAINTandUnicorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2012, 02:24 PM   #15
nyokun
Difficult? I'll do it!
 
nyokun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,005
The only two things I would like to see are with regards to the Nominoichi. Either spread it to two days (maybe Friday and Sunday to avoid major congestion) or give it more space to operate within. Additionally, I would like security (or at least the ones at the entrance and exit) to keep a tighter head count for that specific event. For the space that it was given last year, there were WAY too many people milling about as buyers. Nothing wrong with that, but I'm fairly certain that it was a fire hazard to have that many people in an obstructed area like that.
__________________
Quote:
Good, Cheap, or Fast
Pick any two...

If its Good and Cheap, it wont be Fast
If its Fast and Cheap, it wont be Good
If its Fast and Good it wont be Cheap
nyokun is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:06 PM.


Copyright 2002-2013 Cosplay.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
All comments and posts in our forums are the opinion of the respective poster.