Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 12-02-2012, 05:55 AM   #46
kuroki-neko
A hero reborn

perosnally this did not bug me, even that my cosplay was all white and it could be stained easily. if i had a ride to the meetings i would have galdly volenteered for free.

but this time everyone had plenty of room in the dealers hall compared to last years.

my only gripe is that i was told i could not be shirtless at con and that was a key tell of my cosplay. i only realized that was not true on the last day when i got up and though "whatever its the last day, who cares if i get in trouble"

also i spent most of the con in there, the panels this year where mostly hetilia anyway..id gadly host or help host a panel that is on an anime thats not the super popular ones.

Unread 12-02-2012, 09:14 PM   #47
Oniigiri_Basket
Fangirl Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuroki-neko View Post
perosnally this did not bug me, even that my cosplay was all white and it could be stained easily. if i had a ride to the meetings i would have galdly volenteered for free.

but this time everyone had plenty of room in the dealers hall compared to last years.

my only gripe is that i was told i could not be shirtless at con and that was a key tell of my cosplay. i only realized that was not true on the last day when i got up and though "whatever its the last day, who cares if i get in trouble"

also i spent most of the con in there, the panels this year where mostly hetilia anyway..id gadly host or help host a panel that is on an anime thats not the super popular ones.
Well, if they really felt like it, they could ban you.

I also don't really know what the panels and dress codes have to do with the artists' alley... And I think the artists/vendors would have more of a reason to complain than a regular attendee, since they can't just leave whenever they want.

MCM London Comic Expo cosplay: Kiki (Kiki's Delivery Service), Nagisa Momoe (Madoka Magica)

ALA cosplay: Kiki (Kiki's Delivery Service), Snow White (Zombie Panic in Wonderland)

2015 conventions: Anime Los Angeles, Anime Central, Japan Expo
Oniigiri_Basket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2012, 04:40 PM   #48
vampricyoda
VampricYoda

Looking at the photos of the venue alone, I'd never go to this convention. I've been to cons where they've used the hotel's garage for the AA and Dealer's Area. That concept doesn't bother me.

But looking at how bad the area was. Mold, buckets of water overhead, and apparently it was cold, with unsafe heaters. . .This is an example of how NOT to do it.

I've seen cons turn around and due to other errors take the dealers and AA and spread them threw the con. In front of panel rooms, in the lobby, let people take outside (and get some money back). . .It just seems like this con viewed the AA and Dealers as second class to the rest of the con and as much as cons like to say they're about the programing. A con's bread and butter is the AA and Dealer's. You bite them and you have no one willing to vend at your next con. No venders=A lot less reason to go to a fan driven anime con. Rather a lot less of a reason to buy that badge when I can probably get into the bulk of the other "Con Activities" without it.

I have to applaud the bulk of this thread usually even legit issues sound like kids whining when it comes to problems at cons and here the OP really was smart and took photos and went out of her way to show us and the con EXACTLY what was wrong. They'd be foolish not to listen.
vampricyoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2012, 12:03 PM   #49
kuroki-neko
A hero reborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oniigiri_Basket View Post

I also don't really know what the panels and dress codes have to do with the artists' alley... And I think the artists/vendors would have more of a reason to complain than a regular attendee, since they can't just leave whenever they want.
yea and id never come to this con again, i would not be shritless unless it was a key tell of my cosplay. plus whats so wrong with a guy being shirtless?

i just was saying that because everyone was talking about aki con and i just was trying to see if anyone would relate to what i felt. i never said the artist/vendors had less of a reason to complain; i think they should have had the right to get up and leave thier booth for a few mins if they needed too.

are you just picking a fight or are you just that insecure? you could have easily ignored my post.
Unread 12-10-2012, 12:36 PM   #50
SuniMoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oniigiri_Basket View Post

I think it's actually important that attendees comment on non-AA things. They seem to think it's just us artists whining... While garagecon was the worst part of this scamfest, there were other issues.

Some were minor, like this dress code, and the anime viewing rooms never playing anime...
Then there was the free stage that Aki Con kept year after year, even though it was complained about year after year...

As for the dress code... That's ridiculous, and another mark on their record.
Especially considering one of their own volunteers cosplays Kamina.

I think these little things are good to keep in mind. It just goes to show that Aki is failing all around, in every department.

Now, the con is much easier on the attendee. I know this very well. I enjoyed Aki Con 2009, it was one of my best con experiences.... meanwhile, the artists and vendors that year were freezing in a garage.

So even a little nitpick from an attendee is good to hear.

Oh, also....

Manga Kissaten is now rated an F at the BBB.
I never saw that coming.
SuniMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2012, 01:44 AM   #51
kuroki-neko
A hero reborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuniMoon View Post
I think it's actually important that attendees comment on non-AA things. They seem to think it's just us artists whining... While garagecon was the worst part of this scamfest, there were other issues.

Some were minor, like this dress code, and the anime viewing rooms never playing anime...
Then there was the free stage that Aki Con kept year after year, even though it was complained about year after year...

As for the dress code... That's ridiculous, and another mark on their record.
Especially considering one of their own volunteers cosplays Kamina.

I think these little things are good to keep in mind. It just goes to show that Aki is failing all around, in every department.

Now, the con is much easier on the attendee. I know this very well. I enjoyed Aki Con 2009, it was one of my best con experiences.... meanwhile, the artists and vendors that year were freezing in a garage.

So even a little nitpick from an attendee is good to hear.

Oh, also....

Manga Kissaten is now rated an F at the BBB.
I never saw that coming.
thank you,

it did suck that people or who had shirtless cosplays had to wear a shirt. but at leas kamina has a cape that might have been ok. but for me no such luck, the only save i had was a top that made my cosplay unrecognizable.

i would have gladly volunteered at aki con this year or next if i had a way to get to the meeting area.
Unread 12-12-2012, 03:35 AM   #52
Li_Syaoran
Lone Wolf

Heard Aki found a new venue and a new location. Oh boy
CureCos:http://en.curecos.com/profile/?ch=331883
Cos Group Page:https://www.facebook.com/LonewolfCosplay

Current Anime Con list
Sakura con 2013
Male Black Rock Shooter
Sword Art Online Gun-master/Swordsman Kirito
Male Suit Saber from Fate Prototype
Imitation Black Kagamine Len
Li_Syaoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 09:14 PM   #53
Kimchi_Kutie93

As a former volunteer, we didnt have it any easier. Now there is NO way im backing akicon up, Im just as angry as you are!

Some of us even saw how gross it was and even WE complained about it! I mean, come on! FOOD IN A MOLDY RUSTED DRIPPING PARKING GARAGE!?!?! I had a lot of friends in AA and i saw how warped and damaged their goods were and I was just as angry. And dont even get me started on the tables they were "given", but i have the most respect for those who grin and bared it! Some of us even reported this kind of shit to the higher ups and all we got were "Okay we'll deal with it soon." Not to mention that akicon is a "For profit" convention and they hire volunteers which is ILLEGAL in the state of WA. And I REFUSE to go as an attendee or staff member ever again until someone ELSE takes over or they actually improve.

Last edited by Kimchi_Kutie93 : 04-23-2013 at 09:16 PM. Reason: forgot something to add
Kimchi_Kutie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 10:56 PM   #54
Moonsong
daughter of evil

That is...Absolutely awful. They should not have had ANYTHING stationed in that parking garage until some maintenance was done to fix some of the water leakage, and more importantly, the mold. Mold is bad for you as it is, but I'm sure there were attendees there with asthma, allergies or breathing problem which makes the mold issue even more pressing. Its hard to believe that anyone would think that serving food in there was a good idea, either.

I think I am most disappointed in their response. From what I am seeing, its like they are brushing off the subject as a "well we can't please everyone, we were just trying to go with out Halloween vision!" Sounds like BS to me.

Something similar to this occurred at AnimeNEXT 08 - artist alley was placed in the parking garage, ceilings were leaky, it was hot as HELL (June in NY) and there were no air conditioners. It was absolutely stifling and the area got very little traffic as a result. The artists were angry, but AnimeNEXT, to their credit, listened to the many complaints and never did anything like that again.

On hiatus until 2015.

★Saber EXTRA - 100% complete
★Rachel Alucard (Blazblue) - 100% complete

Moonsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2013, 02:22 PM   #55
Lurrdoc
[SHSL ???]

eweewewewewewewe.

| deviantArt | tumblr | MyAnimeList |

| Rock Lee - 90% | Relius Clover - 85% | Gunha Sogiita - 65% |
Lurrdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2013, 02:57 PM   #56
ToroSonyCat
Chihiro Fujisaki IRL

Wow, this is just plain awful and their response to it is just as bad pretty much to the effect of "how DARE you complain about something you had to pay for". I'd say never to go again and spread the word as far as you can so nobody else does either.

Ryuko Matoi - 25%

Future Cosplays (not working on yet):
Catherine, Wednesday Addams, Roxy Lalonde, fem!Spock, Monobear, Touko Fukawa, Toro Gijinka, Neptune, Rika Furude, Mew Ichigo, Chibimoon, Ramona Flowers, Coco Bandicoot, Stardust Witch Meruru, Juliet Starling, Homura Akemi
ToroSonyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2013, 06:11 PM   #57
Monocle_Complex
Chessmate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToroSonyCat View Post
Wow, this is just plain awful and their response to it is just as bad pretty much to the effect of "how DARE you complain about something you had to pay for". I'd say never to go again and spread the word as far as you can so nobody else does either.
I think this is what bothers me most about the stated ordeal. Even though the nature of the location and the health hazards are indeed gruesome, the con's reaction is very unprofessional, and even worse-- they pretty much call their customers cowards by saying that they're hiding behind computers. [Take note to all. Just because you don't call a person something directly, words are a very powerful thing. And the way you choose to use them reveals your tactless intent for name-calling.]

The awful fact is even if they were receiving negative feedback as a convention their conduct should be more articulate and apologetic than it was. You are an industry. You take money and you provide a service. This is an arrangement between client and service provider. And more likely-- the more that criticisms are thrown around as a representative of that industry you have to be the bigger man. It doesn't matter what they call you or how insulted you might feel. Admit that you're wrong and that there is room for improvements. If you take the high road instead of insulting your customers you will be better respected for it.

Quote:
As you have guess we have put a lot of personal time, money and effort into Aki-con
Money that came from customers. It's the con-goers and the sponsors that pay for conventions to happen. They act like this money came personally out of pocket. Which I assure you. They need you guys to keep going on.

With that being said a lawsuit would help. But as long as Aki-Con receives money from convention attendees there is the likeliness that they will still make a turn out of it unless they legally had their licencing taken away. And potentially in the future-- won't learn from their mistake of location or etiquette since they seem to think their negative responses are the equivalent of an ungrateful child complaining. Best thing to do would be to do what you're doing now. Spread the word, tell people what to expect. Don't go back.

Also, a Halloween-theme is a very poor excuse. Health regulations alone would have a field day if they were hosting at a location that could be hazardous. Especially since there seemed to be signs of obvious mold. Anyone who suffers from asthma or breathing problems would feel effects from it. If they wanted to do a Halloween theme there were plenty of ways to go about it. A leaking, moldy garage is not one of them.

I could not vouch for this confidentially, but I assume that all conventions need licencing to operate. If this is true I'm sure you could find some health and safety organizations that would deem this sort of behavior unsafe and may assist in your case, or at least point you in the right direction.

Anime Detour 2014:
• Corvo Attano [100% Complete]
•Spider Splicer [100% Complete]

Anime Detour 2014:
•Spider Splicer
Monocle_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2013, 06:19 PM   #58
JediofTime
Use the Triforce Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monocle_Complex View Post
I could not vouch for this confidentially, but I assume that all conventions need licencing to operate. If this is true I'm sure you could find some health and safety organizations that would deem this sort of behavior unsafe and may assist in your case, or at least point you in the right direction.
I would immediately contact the Local and State government agencies that are responsible for Health and Safety. The execs for this Con are acting so aloof to this serious safety hazard that they will probably not listen to anyone unless someone of higher authority forces them to do so.

Franklin Delano Roosevelt: "Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort."

Conventions Attending:
2014 LA Anime Expo
2015 Anime LA

Costumes:
Jedi Link 1.0 Complete
Jedi Link 2.0 Complete
Hero's Shade: Have all the supplies ready 0% complete.
Future Cosplay plans:
Jedi Link 3.0
Mewtwo

Last edited by JediofTime : 04-24-2013 at 07:25 PM.
JediofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2013, 06:20 PM   #59
AnimeLuxray25
The Gijinka Girl

This "con" looks revolting and the staff's response to the complaints was awful...I would never attend again.

2014 Cosplay(s): Shinx Gijinka (Shiny Version) [Pokémon] - 100%

2014 Conventions: | KnightroKon | Mythicon | Holiday Matsuri |

deviantART: AnimeLuxray25
AnimeLuxray25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2013, 07:16 PM   #60
Suntory_Times
re fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monocle_Complex View Post
The awful fact is even if they were receiving negative feedback as a convention their conduct should be more articulate and apologetic than it was. You are an industry. You take money and you provide a service. This is an arrangement between client and service provider. And more likely-- the more that criticisms are thrown around as a representative of that industry you have to be the bigger man. It doesn't matter what they call you or how insulted you might feel. Admit that you're wrong and that there is room for improvements. If you take the high road instead of insulting your customers you will be better respected for it.
This I actually do not agree with you fully on. Anyone who has worked in customer service knows no matter what happens you will get complaints. Some people have genuine complaints, others do not (a large number of complaints are in fact people just wanting to vent steam at someone for something unrelated, which is not acceptable, and in which case you don't have to be a bigger man/women, you just end dealings with said person). The trick is to be able to quickly analyze what has happened, see if there is a genuine complaint and respond accordingly (generally if needed asking for more details, providing explanations if there is one, etc).

Not all complaints are valid is basically what I am saying. However in this case the complaints look valid and thus should be treat as such, the con should be ashamed by there response and I hope it does come back and bite them as I can't see them learning any other way.
Suntory_Times is offline   Reply With Quote