Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 12-11-2012, 10:52 PM   #1
Anney

What do you do with your cosplays you've worn?

When I plan to do a new cosplay it's always with the intention of wearing it for several different events, then I'll take a break from it and wear it again at some other point in the future after doing other cosplays. It's too much time and money to only wear something once and you wouldn't get as much fun out of it, either.

I find that some items can be used in more than one cosplay ( such as black trousers and white button-up shirts for school uniform characters, etc. ) And some of the more normal-looking items can end up mixed into my everyday wear which I guess is quite useful.

Do you wear it only once or re-wear it?
Anney is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-11-2012, 10:56 PM   #2
TMLiza
Make All The Things!

Depends on the cosplay. Some, like Minako, I've worn multiple times while others like Rin I've only worn once(however most of the pieces can be used for other cosplays). It depends on the cosplay really and if I have the urge to wear it again or not. Others, like Gakuko, I'm going to use tear the cosplay apart and reuse the fabric for other cosplays.

It really depends on a lot of things for me.

~DA~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cospix~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

TMLiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2012, 11:04 PM   #3
ghosgreen

Most of my cosplays are pretty simple so I end up reusing a lot of parts for other costumes. Like here I'm known for wearing this heavy black coat that gets used for I think at least three different costumes. Other than that it depends what kind of event I go to that determines if I want to re wear an old costume or not. Overall I like most of my costumes and will re wear them.
ghosgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2012, 11:27 PM   #4
dx7879
King of the Pirates!

I will wear costumes again especially due to the time put into some of them. The ones that I don't wear just sit in my closet hung up. I still have all my old cosplays
dx7879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2012, 11:28 PM   #5
ChatNoir
Lubim Ta

I'll usually wear a costume for a few cons and then "retire" it because I want to try new ones. Because most of mine have been "closet cosplay"/cosplays using regular clothes, a lot of pieces find their way into my actual wardrobe. For example, my Matt from Death Note shirt, slacks I wore as Hakkai from Saiyuki, and the red hoodie I painted for Canada are things I'm done cosplaying with but kept to use as regular clothes. Other items, like the tunic shirt for the Hakkai costume or any of the wigs, end up packed away until I figure out something to do with them.

My most recent cosplay, Rose Tyler from Doctor Who, involved a purple jacket that I'm SUPER THRILLED I own, because I love purple and now I can use it as both a normal jacket and part of a cosplay.

Rose Tyler - Doctor Who
River Song - Doctor Who
Kaylee Frye - Firefly
Fem!Sam - Supernatural
Sam Winchester - Supernatural
Fem!Sherlock - BBC Sherlock
Fem!Newt Geiszler - Pacific Rim
ChatNoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2012, 12:03 AM   #6
Ineedaname9
I Am Not Sephiroth

I've sold a few of my cosplays. I've also completely thrown out my cosplays outright due to various problems. But I don't usually wear a cosplay just once though, I'll wear it for a photoshoot or at a different event/time. I do reuse some items like I have a few cosplays that the outfit is a suit, so I have that along with stand alone slacks, dress shirts, and vest in various colors. I have use the stuff for interviews and presentations though so it comes in handy.
Ineedaname9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2012, 12:45 AM   #7
Jei-Cos
Jei-Cos

As mentioned, it really depends..I only cosplayed Squall because I love his gunblade, I hate his character so much, but I did it anyway, but I decided to sell it. I also sold the the ones I thought weren't "up-to-par" by my standards (by that I mean, the standards of what I will put on, not others). Other then that, I reuse them. Like, I spent WAY too much on my Cloud cosplay so ever give that up for anything lol
-Either Hikari (Pokemon Platinum) or Roxanne (Pokemon Omega Ruby)
-Squall Leonhart (Dissidia: Final Fantasy)
-Akaito (Vocaloid. Re/Black ver)
Jei-Cos is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2012, 01:31 AM   #8
Ilafatyu
That guy

Mine just sit unloved in the closet. I have a bad habit of wearing a costume twice and never again, but at least it's gotten me a small horde of cosplays to use should I for some reason need a horde of cosplays. It's not as if I've grown at all since I've started cosplaying. Not sure what I'll do with Drossel yet. Not really in the mood for fixing him up...

With my more closet-type cosplays, like Czeslaw, I can mix the parts in and out for different cosplays and casual non-cosplay use (dat hat). Binding is used pretty often. Wigs sit around until they find purpose again. Nothing is ever sold. I really am a hoarder when it comes to costumes.

facebook // tumblr
Want to help create a US anime convention map?
PM me your local conventions to add to the map

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Soren (Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn) - 3%
Vaati (LoZ Minish Cap) - 2%
Ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2012, 02:14 PM   #9
Akahime
Red Princess

I leave my cosplays hanging in my closet in a section that I don't go to very often. I wear a cosplay two to three times before making another cosplay for myself and I don't retire something UNLESS it doesn't fit me anymore. I wait a year or two to wear them again (and fix them if I gotta better via skills, lolz). Just for variety really.

Next cons: Anime LA, Anime Detour, Fanime, Anime Expo
Cosplayer and photographer. Follow me at my DA, twitter, or my tumblr!
Akahime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2012, 02:21 PM   #10
ImmortalRoses

I have bought a seperate closet for cosplays so they don't get crinkly (is that the right word? haha) till now I've only re-used one cosplay for a meeting and one (my very first cosplay) has become the one I wear multiple times, but I don't go to many events so people usually don't notice. I have a huge list of what I still want to cosplay but till now I'm keeping my old ones as backup and I'll try to improve them
ImmortalRoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2012, 03:23 PM   #11
xIkuna

I've never worn a cosplay more than once. To be fair, I've only ever gone to one convention a year and I want to debut a new costume for a new character everytime, so I never have the time to wear a cosplay twice. And those cosplays I KNOW I will never wear get sold. If I went to more than one con a year, I would happily repeat costume, but I can't so I don't.

Cosplays:
Laurel Lance (Black Canary)- Arrow
Maggie Greene- The Walking Dead
Coco- RWBY

xIkuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2012, 03:36 PM   #12
ichigo_m.
Eli Ebberts

I'm in the same boat as Shirayuki. I only go to one con and like debut new cosutmes each year. Also I find more fun in making costumes then wearing them really. So I like to just have a photo shoot with it then sell them.
Unread 12-12-2012, 03:45 PM   #13
HeartlessNobody
King & Lionheart

I usually keep all my old cosplays, unless I have absolutely no intentions of wearing them again, in which case I sell them. I try to reuse my old cosplays, but I just have such a bad habit of always making new ones, that I don't get around to rewearing old ones.

What I am working on:
(New)Utena Tenjou - Revolutionary Girl Utena
(New)Mokoto Tachibana (Ver. Future Fish) - Free!
(New)Marika Kato (Ver. Space Pirate Captain) - Bodacious Space Pirates
(Fixing)Wicked Lady - Sailor Moon
Ben Paul - The Walking Dead Game
HeartlessNobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2012, 04:25 PM   #14
AnimeLuxray25
The Gijinka Girl

I haven't completed any 'stumes yet, but when I do get a lot of cosplays done I will wear them again...again, and again. Even if it's not a convention. Cosplay costs a lot of money and time. There's no way I'll only wear it once.

~ don't judge other cosplayers, because in the end we all look silly wearing wig caps :3 ~

2014 Cosplay: Shinx Gijinka (Shiny Version) [Pokémon] - 100%
2015 Cosplay: Poochyena Gijinka [Pokémon] - 5%

2014 Conventions: | KnightroKon | Mythicon | Holiday Matsuri |

deviantART: AnimeLuxray25
AnimeLuxray25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2012, 05:05 PM   #15
SukishoIsLove

It depends on the cosplay, if it's made up of things I can't use for other cosplays then it lives out it's life in my closet after I'm done wearing it. I usually wear my cosplays 2-3 times depending on how they're made and if I'm proud to wear them.

If the cosplay is made out of things I can repurpose for another cosplay then it is taken apart. For a while I did like three school girl cosplays. For two the skirts were pretty much the same and so one was used for the other.

I've never sold or thrown away a cosplay so far.

I've recently lost 30ish pounds so I really can't rewear any of my older cosplays without them looking sloppy.

Future Cosplay:
Asuna - SAO
Chihaya - Chihayafuru
Kasahara - Toshokan Sensou: Kakumei no Tsubasa
Sinbad - Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic
SukishoIsLove is offline   Reply With Quote