Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 21 votes, 4.62 average.
Unread 12-12-2012, 05:38 PM   #646
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusmomma View Post
Mom jeans, high-waisted pants, and suspenders are freaking dapper and need to make a comeback.
Mom jeans? They never hang around long because they're pretty much universally unflattering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisected8 View Post
I'd like to see more support for kilts. Not in the winter, obviously.
Kilts just don't do it for me. Not that that should stop anyone.
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
penny_dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-12-2012, 06:17 PM   #647
fullbleed
Hello I'm Dr Cheeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny_dreadful View Post
Meggings for all!

What I really don't understand are those drop-crotch pants, though. I find that look extremely confusing.
I don't get drop crotch trousers either, I just imagine it being very unpractical to move around in.

I've considers leggings as a man before... until I saw someone else wearing them once at a concert and they were the most irritating hipster creature to be around ever, and that put me off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
Someone supply with a new descriptive label for Fullbleed. Hipster doesn't even cut it any more.
fullbleed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2012, 06:47 PM   #648
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullbleed View Post
I've considers leggings as a man before... until I saw someone else wearing them once at a concert and they were the most irritating hipster creature to be around ever, and that put me off.
Yeah, it's not that I necessarily have a wholesale objection to leggings on men-- it's just that the rest of the styling I usually see makes them look like pretentious, forgive me for saying so, Eurotrash. Leggings are effing comfortable and convenient, I wouldn't want to deny anyone that because of biology.

Then again, men tend to rely more on pockets than women do, so it necessitates the additional purchase and use of a bag to hold your wallet and other crap in, etc, so it might not be as convenient for guys.
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
Unread 12-12-2012, 06:53 PM   #649
fullbleed
Hello I'm Dr Cheeks

Quote:
Yeah, it's not that I necessarily have a wholesale objection to leggings on men-- it's just that the rest of the styling I usually see makes them look like pretentious, forgive me for saying so, Eurotrash.
Agreed. Though I do like those sequined black leggings...

I went to a party recently dressed as, you're gonna love/hate me for this, Alice Glass. And I have to say, lack of pockets in women's clothes annoys me. Though men's jackets seem to have a lot more pockets too so that probably makes up for it, especially blazers and army jackets.
Quote:
Someone supply with a new descriptive label for Fullbleed. Hipster doesn't even cut it any more.
Unread 12-12-2012, 07:11 PM   #650
Kildread
I can fix it!

Quote:
I went to a party recently dressed as, you're gonna love/hate me for this, Alice Glass.
A cosplayer I know once told me that if you can't be with your crush, you might as well be them. (A playful reference to her cosplaying men)

You've learned the lesson well.
Kildread is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2012, 07:24 PM   #651
fullbleed
Hello I'm Dr Cheeks

Damn it Penny you've genuinely got me googling black sequined leggings now
Quote:
Unread 12-12-2012, 07:34 PM   #652
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

Quote:
Agreed. Though I do like those sequined black leggings...

I went to a party recently dressed as, you're gonna love/hate me for this, Alice Glass. And I have to say, lack of pockets in women's clothes annoys me. Though men's jackets seem to have a lot more pockets too so that probably makes up for it, especially blazers and army jackets.
Fight you for those leggings.

I can say, without any trace of irony, that it would be genuinely delightful to see you dressed as Alice Glass.

Here's a popular opinion: fake pockets on clothes are the Devil's work.
Unread 12-12-2012, 07:45 PM   #653
sam vimes
A real live wire

Quote:
I went to a party recently dressed as, you're gonna love/hate me for this, Alice Glass.
I feel neither love nor hate. I have moved to a place beyond time, beyond space, beyond feelings, rationale, nirvana. I think you broke me, Ryan.

Totally feel you on the pockets issue though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
SV is the most awesome man I know that I'm not married to.
Quote:
If this weren't tje internet id hug all of you guys right now.
Especishillly you sam.
Like a woodpecker with a headache...

Last edited by sam vimes : 12-12-2012 at 08:07 PM.
sam vimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2012, 09:48 PM   #654
Amanita

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiXikyu View Post
I had to wear one for four years in high school...it wasn't that awesome. (I also kept wondering why an ENGLISH Catholic school had a SCOTTISH tartan. The dress Gordon to be specific)
Also, it was hilarious when a male and very-Celtic schoolmate of mine wore one instead of dress pants. Everyone thought it was awesome, and HE GOT AWAY WITH IT because it was both uniform AND ethnic dress. XD until bitchy-as-fuck vice principal went on her daily NO INDIVIDUALITY ALLOWED, TAKE EVERYTHING OFF rampage (seriously, she'd yell at you for having a single freaking button undone, or being IN THE MIDDLE OF GOING TO YOUR LOCKER to change your shoes in the middle of winter).
I remember a teacher like that in 7th grade- she was NUTS about the "no hats" rule, one day she bitched me out in the hallway, about 2 minutes after I came in from outdoors, on a cold as balls winter day. Seriously, I wasn't even to my locker yet to take it off and put it there, and she's already bitching. I'm so glad I'm not in school anymore, I hated all those stupid rules.
Amanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2012, 11:48 PM   #655
jukebox
role models > supermodels

I think making leggings look good has less to do with what sex (or gender) you are and more to do with your physical build and how you wear them. They generally look good on women of any size because we have curvier legs, and the skin-hugging effect is flattering to our shape. I see a lot of ballet and opera performers where I work, and the tights that male dancers wear are actually very flattering and do a fantastic job showing off their muscle. Seriously, whichever doofus insisted that all male superheroes should look like Hulk Hogan and all female superheroes like Pamela Anderson has obvious never looked at professional ballet dancers.

What I do wish people would remember is that for day to day streetwear, LEGGINGS ARE NOT PANTS. Unless they are made from a thicker material like woven acrylic or wool and therefore totally opaque, people should not wear them as pants. Especially if they don't have shapewear on underneath or don't do squats often. Just put some shorts or a skirt or a long tunic-like shirt on, people.

Honestly, between girls who don't know how to wear leggings and guys who wear their jeans low so their butts are hanging out, the aesthetic appeal of butts has come close to being totally ruined for me.

PROFILES
GEEKPR0N | Twitter | deviantArt
jukebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2012, 08:47 AM   #656
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Re:Fashion. This should be good from someone who owns no less than 2 Marvel polos.

1) Mennings- If you can rock them, good for you. I would not make anyone endure me wearing them though. Also at 6'4", I imagine Chris-sized mennings would be a pain to buy.

2) Fake pockets can burn in real hell.

3) Suspenders- As someone who's seen WAY too many Suspenders as of late, let me says this-There are people who can people who can pull them off, but most of the time those who can't are the ones wearing them.

"I think that a huge problem is people who read comics and don't understand the point of superheroes, which is to be the best version of yourself. You love Captain America? Well, you know what Captain America would never do? Go online anonymously and shit on a girl for having an opinion." -Brian Michael Bendis
TheAnarCHris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2012, 08:57 AM   #657
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Quote:
Mom jeans? They never hang around long because they're pretty much universally unflattering.
I beg to differ. Mom jeans are way more flattering on me than any other style. No one needs to see middle-aged muffin top. Seriously. I wear my mom jeans with pride and give zero fucks about whether or not they are stylish.
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2012, 09:34 AM   #658
fullbleed
Hello I'm Dr Cheeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnarCHris View Post
3) Suspenders- As someone who's seen WAY too many Suspenders as of late, let me says this-There are people who can people who can pull them off, but most of the time those who can't are the ones wearing them.
It's weird because what you call suspenders we call braces, for us suspenders are more like stocking/lingerie type things.

I own a pair of braces but to be fair I very rarely wear them precisely because they are so hard to pull off with out looking like a hipster knob end or skinhead.

But of course the best thing you can do with braces is prefix conversations by saying "Now I'm not a fancy big city lawyer"
Quote:

Last edited by fullbleed : 12-13-2012 at 09:37 AM.
Unread 12-13-2012, 11:21 AM   #659
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

Quote:
Originally Posted by jukebox View Post
What I do wish people would remember is that for day to day streetwear, LEGGINGS ARE NOT PANTS. Unless they are made from a thicker material like woven acrylic or wool and therefore totally opaque, people should not wear them as pants. Especially if they don't have shapewear on underneath or don't do squats often. Just put some shorts or a skirt or a long tunic-like shirt on, people.
I was once of the belief that leggings should never be worn as pants. Then I got pregnant, and I did not want anything on my body that was unstretchy and lacking an elastic waist.

I'm also fat, and would like to see people get over fat bodies, Jesus, they're not that big a deal.

Quote:
hipster knob end
Useless factoid: there's a hoity-toity private community near us that used to be called Nob's End. Now it's Nob Hill, which I guess is slightly less ridiculous-sounding.
Unread 12-13-2012, 11:51 AM   #660
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Quote:
I was once of the belief that leggings should never be worn as pants. Then I got pregnant, and I did not want anything on my body that was unstretchy and lacking an elastic waist.

I'm also fat, and would like to see people get over fat bodies, Jesus, they're not that big a deal.
Penny says such pretty words.

I have evolved beyond your silly notions of fashion. I am all knowing. All seeing. I am no longer a mere mortal. Your leggings do not concern me, mortals.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote