Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 12-12-2012, 10:00 PM   #16
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

So hey, I realized..I have litterally NOWHERE to do pullups..If I do the others and not do the pullups will that matter in this kind of thing? Like I live in an place where the doorjams are the only "lips" where I could grab, but obviously they are too small to grab. So would cutting those out be a problem? And no I can't get one of those pullup bars you put in your doorway..
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Akicon 2014 (so far):
-OC (Original Series)
-Akaito (Vocaloid)

WIP
-Yui Hirasawa (K-On!)
-Yui Hirasawa (Attack On K-On!)
-Hanji (Attack On Titan)
-Takamina (AKB0048)
-Nepgear (Hyperdimension Neptunia)
-Link (Zelda: OOT)
-Miku (Vocaloid, Galaxy Girls [fan models])

Dream cosplays for now:
-Tsuruya-san (Haruhi Suzumiya)
-Kagami Hiiragi (Lucky Star)
JasonTerror is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-12-2012, 11:52 PM   #17
Arbite
Shut up and move!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTerror View Post
So hey, I realized..I have litterally NOWHERE to do pullups..If I do the others and not do the pullups will that matter in this kind of thing? Like I live in an place where the doorjams are the only "lips" where I could grab, but obviously they are too small to grab. So would cutting those out be a problem? And no I can't get one of those pullup bars you put in your doorway..
You need mad grip strength to do pullup's on door ledges. But if you can find any sort of bar, hell even a bus stop roof (I get bored waiting).
Arbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2012, 01:25 AM   #18
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Yea lol that's why I said they are too small lol
And actually, in my moms house, it's WAY old, and the door hallway jams (yes the hallways have them for some stupid reason lol) have HUGE lips on them and my brothers (who work out A LOT) can do them on there. I have NO idea how they can do that though lol

Anyway, doing them at anowhere other then a place to continue working out won't help in what I was talking about..I was talking about doing that metabolic conditioning thing, so I can;t really do much of that stuff at a bus stop or the like..
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Akicon 2014 (so far):
-OC (Original Series)
-Akaito (Vocaloid)

WIP
-Yui Hirasawa (K-On!)
-Hanji (Attack On Titan)
-Takamina (AKB0048)

Dream cosplays for now:
Unread 12-13-2012, 03:35 AM   #19
Arbite
Shut up and move!

Quote:
Yea lol that's why I said they are too small lol
And actually, in my moms house, it's WAY old, and the door hallway jams (yes the hallways have them for some stupid reason lol) have HUGE lips on them and my brothers (who work out A LOT) can do them on there. I have NO idea how they can do that though lol
My place has about an inch or so for our doorways, and I can cope reasonably well with that. That said, my fingers aren't exactly in love with me after.

Quote:
Anyway, doing them at anowhere other then a place to continue working out won't help in what I was talking about..I was talking about doing that metabolic conditioning thing, so I can;t really do much of that stuff at a bus stop or the like..
If you can't find a place to do them in line with your regular program, then its not going to matter when you do them during the day. So if you have the opportunity, just do them when convenient. If you are eating less than your TDEE to lose weight however, your not going to get much better at pullups. And if you are eating enough to get better at them, they will build your biceps and back muscles, more so than you'll want for crossplay.

Last edited by Arbite : 12-13-2012 at 03:38 AM.
Unread 12-14-2012, 12:10 AM   #20
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Oh, I think I understand now. Sorry bout that lol
Yea, DO NOT want to gain muscles (well not like male, workout, looking like a guy, muscles anyway lol).
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Akicon 2014 (so far):
-OC (Original Series)
-Akaito (Vocaloid)

WIP
-Yui Hirasawa (K-On!)
-Hanji (Attack On Titan)
-Takamina (AKB0048)

Dream cosplays for now:
Unread 12-14-2012, 08:58 AM   #21
nathancarter
Victor Voyeur Photography

Agreed with the above - to limit growth of muscle mass, you're going to have to be careful with your strength training, and do more cardio and flexibility training. Lots of light reps instead of a few super-heavy reps.

http://flickr.com/nathancarter
https://www.facebook.com/VictorVoyeur
MetroCon - CONjure - Dragon Con - MegaCon
nathancarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2013, 10:27 PM   #22
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarg3_5laught3r View Post
it is commonly called "the 300". It goes something like:

25 pullups
50 crunches
50 pushups
50 squats
50 box jumps
25 pullups.

all in all, 300 reps, usually done in about 15 minutes or less. No rest periods [unless your body gives out, which it usually will first time] between sets. It is all core focused, which when done frequently enough, will speed up the efficiency of ones metabolism while getting strong cardio and a healthy sweat going. It feels like hell during and after, but the results speak for themselves. I've been doing it every other week and I still hate it, but it really does help.
Oh hey, I feel stupid asking this NOW rather then when we were talking about it, but I had another question on this..It's still pretty hard for me to to..You said in the quote up there, that you do it once every other week right? That's what I have been doing, but not the pullups like I said before lol and I was wondering, is it too much if I do it like 2 times a week (given that I even CAN lol just a thought)? Or do you think it would be bad for my body? I know a lot of working out, too close together can do more harm then good so I want to also avoid that, but Would doing it more often then that, be a good idea?
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Akicon 2014 (so far):
-OC (Original Series)
-Akaito (Vocaloid)

WIP
-Yui Hirasawa (K-On!)
-Hanji (Attack On Titan)
-Takamina (AKB0048)

Dream cosplays for now:
Unread 04-20-2013, 02:21 PM   #23
Azuraschampion
SAO and AW's biggest fan

ok sorry didnt notice this thread earlier or i wouldve helped. No, doing it twice a week shouldnt be too bad for your body. I do that routine myself twice a week minus the pullups except with higher reps. In general when you hear about working out too much being bad for your body its when people overreach and try to do this every day, without giving their body time to recover in between.
Azuraschampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2013, 03:10 PM   #24
ultninjaboi
A Bard amongst Men

Rule of thumb for muscle sculpting.

For lean slender muscle: "low weight, high rep."
And for muscle mass: "high weight, low rep."

Pretty much, keeping in shape and minimizing muscle mass is a matter of endurance. It's about the amount of movement, the length of the workout, and the consistency of the workout. It's not so much about the intensity/exertion from each individual movement.

Jogging, cardio, really anything that has you moving a lot without using heavy weights/resistance tools.
“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence." -C.S. Lewis

Current Projects:
TF2 Scout: 95% done.
Courier (Fallout New Vegas):75% done
Jack Marston (Red Dead Redemption): 50% done
The Boss (Saints Row): Planning Stages
ultninjaboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2013, 04:48 PM   #25
Bovice

Quote:
Rule of thumb for muscle sculpting.

For lean slender muscle: "low weight, high rep."
And for muscle mass: "high weight, low rep."
That's pretty much a myth.

Lean isn't going to be dependent on the number of reps you do/weight, it's going to be a matter of your body fat percentage.

No matter how many reps you do, your body fat is going to be your outer most layer. As you start lowering your body fat, the muscle you do have will show for the "lean" look.

I only lift heavy in a low-mid rep range, and I'm rather lean/ripped as well due to my low body fat (I bike 200 miles a week because I have no car and go to two college campuses)
Bovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2013, 05:59 PM   #26
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azuraschampion View Post
ok sorry didnt notice this thread earlier or i wouldve helped. No, doing it twice a week shouldnt be too bad for your body. I do that routine myself twice a week minus the pullups except with higher reps. In general when you hear about working out too much being bad for your body its when people overreach and try to do this every day, without giving their body time to recover in between.
Really? I thought it was because your a freaking bottomless pit haha You can show me what you do when we hang out next.

ultninjaboi, Thanks for that info. I'll put that to good use
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Akicon 2014 (so far):
-OC (Original Series)
-Akaito (Vocaloid)

WIP
-Yui Hirasawa (K-On!)
-Hanji (Attack On Titan)
-Takamina (AKB0048)

Dream cosplays for now:
Unread 04-20-2013, 07:12 PM   #27
Arbite
Shut up and move!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azuraschampion View Post
Or would take a lot more than doing that every day of the week to become over trained. You could probably do that everyday and still not worry as long as your eating and sleeping well. If you think you might overtrain, you're not going to.

Source: I've been overtrained.

Last edited by Arbite : 04-21-2013 at 04:19 AM.
Unread 04-20-2013, 08:59 PM   #28
KidXister

OK i'm not reading what anyone else suggested so if this is a repeat I'm sorry.

I downloaded this app for my kindle called "Lose It" it is awesome. I started in February and I have lost 14 lbs so far. I've done hardly any exercise, and I don't feel like I am starving myself.
All you do is put in your current weight, your target weight, and how many pounds you want to lose a week. Then it will give you a daily calorie intake to reach your goal.
I know counting calories sounds pretty lame, but the app does that for you too, it is so damn easy.
KidXister is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2013, 12:55 PM   #29
ultninjaboi
A Bard amongst Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bovice View Post
That's pretty much a myth.

Lean isn't going to be dependent on the number of reps you do/weight, it's going to be a matter of your body fat percentage.

No matter how many reps you do, your body fat is going to be your outer most layer. As you start lowering your body fat, the muscle you do have will show for the "lean" look.

I only lift heavy in a low-mid rep range, and I'm rather lean/ripped as well due to my low body fat (I bike 200 miles a week because I have no car and go to two college campuses)
That's what i meant by the "low weight... etc" bit. I know that using that as a rule is pretty much wrong, but its just how i shorten it for my own memory. The point is like you said. "lean muscle" is just about getting in shape, and losing body fat. The larger, "built" look is from building up muscle mass and bulking up. I'm just used to training younger students (I teach martial arts) so I usually try to simplify my explanations out of habit. So phrases like "lean muscle" just stick in my vocabulary from habit, rather than from misinformation.

At the end of the day, its about endurance and work, rather than raw strength. High strength training promotes muscle mass growth, while training geared more towards stamina and endurance alone promotes just the fat trimming and general well-being, without the bulking up.
“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence." -C.S. Lewis

Current Projects:
TF2 Scout: 95% done.
Courier (Fallout New Vegas):75% done
Jack Marston (Red Dead Redemption): 50% done
The Boss (Saints Row): Planning Stages
ultninjaboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2013, 04:18 PM   #30
JediofTime
Use the Triforce Link

Have you thought of Swimming?

Franklin Delano Roosevelt: "Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort."

Conventions Attending:
2015 Anime LA
2015 Anime Expo

Costumes:
Jedi Link 1.0 Complete
Jedi Link 2.0 Complete
Hero's Shade: base patterns done. 5% complete.
Future Cosplay plans:
Jedi Link 3.0
Mewtwo
JediofTime is offline   Reply With Quote