Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 120 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 12-14-2012, 10:06 PM   #4846
Fish-and-Chips-Yum
Look! A hidden puzzle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium Flower View Post
-gun talk-
I agree with this. Personally, I've never understood the extremist perspective of thinking guns should be completely banned (save for cops and things of the like). If laws were made against guns, or to make it extremely hard to get them, who would follow that law? The law-abiding citizens of course, who wouldn't be the ones posing a threat. The criminals are the ones that disregard law and would find a way to get their hands on a gun, or some weapon of the like. That being said, I still think have stricter and more thorough background checks would be a step in the right direction, as it could reduce the amount of people having a gun that shouldn't, especially people with violent tendencies or a mental illness. Speaking of, I've always thought mental assessments should be part of check-ups (at least once every couple of years), but that's just me.

+See Costume List for Completed Projects+

+In-Progress+
+Rarity+ MLP:FiM ~100%~ Just finished!
+Matryoshka!America+ Hetalia ~20%~ Designing the Hoodie!

+2013 Plans+
+Gala!Rarity+ MLP:FiM
+Ciel Phantomhive (Vol. 6 Outfit)+ Black Butler
+Hatsune Miku (Snow Version 2013)+ Vocaloid
+Umbreon+ Pokemon

+Conventions Planned for 2013+
Sakura Con 2013 ~ 65% Likely
Everfree 2013 ~ 30% Likely
Kumori Con 2013 ~ 40% Likely
Aki Con 2013 ~ 100% Likely
Fish-and-Chips-Yum is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-14-2012, 10:11 PM   #4847
Fish-and-Chips-Yum
Look! A hidden puzzle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlondieSundae View Post
Very upset about the shooting, more upset about the fact people are being disrespectful and caring more about gun laws.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
EDIT: One last thought: the second worst thing about today? No one will care about it in two weeks' time at the most. Mark my words.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angathol View Post
Never mind the fact that nobody cares if it's in a foreign country. A similar rampage happened in China today.
This, this, and this.

+In-Progress+

+2013 Plans+
+Umbreon+ Pokemon

Unread 12-14-2012, 10:30 PM   #4848
dx7879
King of the Pirates!

We're not suppose to have phones out at work, but everyone else seems to. For some reason I seem to be the one that gets in trouble though due to the senior teller...The reason they give is because they don't want the cameras to see us on our phones, but there is NO way that the cameras would see. They're not even angled at where I am. Everyone else has their phone in a much more noticeable area, while I just have mine on my side by my leg while sitting down.

Although I understand that we're not suppose to have phones, the senior teller breaks/forgets to do so much more that is worse. She leaves the vault door open all the time which blocks a security camera. Funny too, because she told me before to keep it closed, and I'm probably the only one that keeps it constantly closed! She leaves her key to her drawer in the key hole also, which means that any of us could technically steal money from her drawer. She also doesn't take a dye pack, so if we get robbed, person is getting away with money. Also giving overrides on stuff without paying attention. She actually got some of her override abilities revoked due to this. Pretty sure me just using my phone for a bit when it's quiet and hidden isn't worse than any of that...
dx7879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2012, 12:08 AM   #4849
Quinn The Spazz
Dr. Sexy, Vampire Hunter

Things that suck right now:

1) My Peta wig would not straighten to save its life. My friend says we can straighten it with hot water but the last time she tried that on a wig, it didn't completely straighten. Whether that was poor quality or not, i just want my Peta wig as straight as possible.

2) I have a giant canker sore on the inside of my lip that is constantly being rubbed by my retainer and hurts like frig. It's been there for almost a week now, despite swishing with peroxide.

3) I've been getting weird pain on one side of my jaw; it feels like I've bruised it but I haven't. My dad says it's from sleeping crooked but I think it's from twisting that side of my mouth to avoid the sore rubbing my retainer. I don't know though, and it's freaking me out a bit.

But those aren't too major in the grand scheme of things ^^
Yuu Kashima-Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki Kun, Natsumura Kusaribe-Zetsuen no Tempest, Henry Branwell-The Infernal Devices books, Drusilla-Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Aziraphale-Good Omens, Woolsey Scott-The Infernal Devices books, Brokkenbroll-Un Lun Dun, Cure Passion-Fresh Pretty Cure! Q-Skyfall, Monk-Ghost Hunt, Magnus Bane-The Mortal Instruments books (various book outfits,)
Quinn The Spazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2012, 12:23 AM   #4850
Headphone Actor
Local KagePro loser

It bothers me that ignorant people are using the tragedy in Connecticut to push political agendas. Gun control is NOT the solution, simply because guns are not the problem. Guns don't kill people, people kill people. ANYTHING can be used as a weapon and if its not guns, it's something else. Recently, a similar situation happened in Asia,where gun control is in effect, and the weapon of choice was a knife. ANYTHING and EVERYTHING is a weapon. I wish that we could set aside political differences in respect for the deceased, children have lost their lives. Rest in eternal peace to the deceased, may the survivors be able to heal emotionally to the best of their ability, and may the injured have a speedy recovery. ♥

It just hurts my heart so very badly..
And all at once, I know everything is gone
Headphone Actor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2012, 12:32 AM   #4851
Fish-and-Chips-Yum
Look! A hidden puzzle!

I am so torn to pieces right now. I know killings and murders happen every day, I know that I don't even know any of the families that were affected by today's tragedy, but when I hear about things like this, I ache so badly. To think that there were parents standing there, waiting for someone to tell them that their child was safe, watching other children run to their parents, only to be told that their son or daughter was not with them anymore. To think that they would have to go home from that school without their child and realize that they would never see them again. It's heart-wrenching, and I can't seem to shake it. It's even worse to realize that these violent acts are all too commonplace nowadays. Everywhere there are violent attacks on the innocent happening day after day, though it's not usually acknowledged. I am absolutely distraught right now.

+In-Progress+

+2013 Plans+
+Umbreon+ Pokemon

Unread 12-15-2012, 12:35 AM   #4852
Headphone Actor
Local KagePro loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish-and-Chips-Yum View Post
I am so torn to pieces right now. I know killings and murders happen every day, I know that I don't even know any of the families that were affected by today's tragedy, but when I hear about things like this, I ache so badly. To think that there were parents standing there, waiting for someone to tell them that their child was safe, watching other children run to their parents, only to be told that their son or daughter was not with them anymore. To think that they would have to go home from that school without their child and realize that they would never see them again. It's heart-wrenching, and I can't seem to shake it. It's even worse to realize that these violent acts are all too commonplace nowadays. Everywhere there are violent attacks on the innocent happening day after day, though it's not usually acknowledged. I am absolutely distraught right now.
QFT
And all at once, I know everything is gone
Headphone Actor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2012, 09:05 AM   #4853
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dx7879 View Post
We're not suppose to have phones out at work, but everyone else seems to. For some reason I seem to be the one that gets in trouble though due to the senior teller...The reason they give is because they don't want the cameras to see us on our phones, but there is NO way that the cameras would see. They're not even angled at where I am. Everyone else has their phone in a much more noticeable area, while I just have mine on my side by my leg while sitting down.

Although I understand that we're not suppose to have phones, the senior teller breaks/forgets to do so much more that is worse. She leaves the vault door open all the time which blocks a security camera. Funny too, because she told me before to keep it closed, and I'm probably the only one that keeps it constantly closed! She leaves her key to her drawer in the key hole also, which means that any of us could technically steal money from her drawer. She also doesn't take a dye pack, so if we get robbed, person is getting away with money. Also giving overrides on stuff without paying attention. She actually got some of her override abilities revoked due to this. Pretty sure me just using my phone for a bit when it's quiet and hidden isn't worse than any of that...
So how the hell is she a senior teller? She sounds utterly incompetent from all the posts you've made about it.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2012, 12:04 PM   #4854
Arc_The_Lad
of Daventry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish-and-Chips-Yum View Post
I am so torn to pieces right now. I know killings and murders happen every day, I know that I don't even know any of the families that were affected by today's tragedy, but when I hear about things like this, I ache so badly.
This is also way this doesn't really bother me, to me it's just another example of humans doing what humans do.

Call me an asshole, most do, I can't and won't weep for every tragedy in the world, you have my condolences though.
Arc_The_Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2012, 12:15 PM   #4855
sam vimes
A real live wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc_The_Lad View Post
This is also way this doesn't really bother me, to me it's just another example of humans doing what humans do.

Call me an asshole, most do, I can't and won't weep for every tragedy in the world, you have my condolences though.
Okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
SV is the most awesome man I know that I'm not married to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullbleed View Post
If this weren't tje internet id hug all of you guys right now.
Especishillly you sam.
Like a woodpecker with a headache...
sam vimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2012, 03:29 PM   #4856
dx7879
King of the Pirates!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiXikyu View Post
So how the hell is she a senior teller? She sounds utterly incompetent from all the posts you've made about it.
That is a really good question, that I myself keep asking myself too :/ My sister's boyfriend use to work for the company as a manger about 5 years back, and I asked him the question too...She actually transferred to our location because the location she came from was too busy for her to keep up with...At that point I was already worrying about how she would do

On a somewhat kind of hilarious note, we always balance our ATMs at 12:45pm every Saturday. From the time she transferred over (May) to around October, she would ask me every Saturday what time we balance it. I'm not exaggerating about every Saturday either... She also uses the term "this thing" a lot of time. Most of the time no one has any idea what she's actually referring to since there's a lot of things there O.O That, and how she would always say "*insert name* come". One of the tellers when she first started was really pissed about that, and kept saying how we're not dogs. Also tends to blame other people for any errors or problems, especially when she first started working here. One time she was trying to disarm the ATM alarm, but accidentally activated it. She didn't know she did it though. When one of the personal banker asked if we activated the alarm, I said I didn't and didn't want to blame the senior teller. Of course she ends up saying that I probably accidentally pressed the handheld ATM alarm -_- That is almost impossible, since that requires holding down 2 buttons for 5 seconds...Lol, I could probably go on forever. I'm just lucky that there's 2 people there that I get along really well with

Today work went pretty well though, no drama that I can think of. As soon as next year starts though, I'm looking hard for a new job. This was only going to be for a year, before I realized I wanted to use some of my vacation time in order to go to some conventions, lol XD
dx7879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2012, 03:50 PM   #4857
-Alicè-
-Lost in my own world-

Maybe unpopular opinion:

I understand why everyone's upset about that school shooting that just happened. But I wish people would stop focusing on how much of a 'dick' the guy was.

Seriously, he was mentally ill. There was something very VERY wrong with him. Something that no one caught or cared about. He had a mental breakdown and snapped. What upsets me is that his breakdown was compleatly preventable had he gotten the help he needed.

You can feel for the victims and pray for their families exc, but I wish people would focus a little bit on bring attention to mental illness. This would be a perfect time to try and combat the stigma against things like depression and bring to light the fact that things like this ARE treatable, school shootings ARE preventable, and no one should ever feel backed into a corner enough that they shoot a school full of children.

/A tad sleep deprived, so if you could make sense of this then you're fantastic.

The Little Mermaid - Ariel (95% Finished)
My Little Pony - Rarity (85% Finished)
Blindsprings - Tammy (10% Finished)

Do you have a tumblr? I follow back!
http://musesofspace.tumblr.com/
-Alicè- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2012, 04:04 PM   #4858
Mykaios
Saving all the meguca's.

Will elaborate on this later...

Mykaios is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2012, 04:04 PM   #4859
kuroki-neko
A hero reborn

my mother asked me what i want for chirstmas, i showed her what wanted and she found a reason not to get it for me no matter what i asked for. the first season of a show on dvd? she said i could watch it online. some clothing i wanted(and i only could find it online), she said that we could go out to the stores and find it. -.-
Unread 12-15-2012, 04:04 PM   #4860
BisectedBrioche
Da ba di da ba di...

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Alicè- View Post
Maybe unpopular opinion:

I understand why everyone's upset about that school shooting that just happened. But I wish people would stop focusing on how much of a 'dick' the guy was.

Seriously, he was mentally ill. There was something very VERY wrong with him. Something that no one caught or cared about. He had a mental breakdown and snapped. What upsets me is that his breakdown was compleatly preventable had he gotten the help he needed.

You can feel for the victims and pray for their families exc, but I wish people would focus a little bit on bring attention to mental illness. This would be a perfect time to try and combat the stigma against things like depression and bring to light the fact that things like this ARE treatable, school shootings ARE preventable, and no one should ever feel backed into a corner enough that they shoot a school full of children.

/A tad sleep deprived, so if you could make sense of this then you're fantastic.
I agree with this. There seems to be too much of a tendency to act as if mentally ill people who carry out massacres would inevitably have done what they did unless they were stopped beforehand rather than accept that they were just left to break down.

There's far too much emphasis on how he got into the school and how he got a gun and not enough on why he chose to do it.

To do; Dark Link (80%) Link (20%)

Can't write, can't draw. Can code, a little.
BisectedBrioche is offline   Reply With Quote